CRICKET!! breaking news, gossip, lies, whatever etc..

matt b

Indexing all opinion
I don't know if low-key is the answer, since low-key=low cash and the probable desertion of many leading players to the IPL. But they have to stop letting Sky run the game - there couldn't be a more stupid series than the recent one against WI, who they'd just played and whose captain said it was all a waste of time.

Cricketers want to play test matches, plus it is reputation gained in tests that allows players to garner high wages in the IPL anyway.

By 'lower key', I mean stop attempting to compete with other mainstream sports that take 90 minutes to play.

Cricket was relatively lower key in the 1980s and all the better for it

don_quixote

Trent End
ok, here's how i'd do the ashes 2005 in five minutes:
first test, first ball BANG HARMISON, ponting bleeds, mcgrath bleeds england, but then mcgrath stands on a cricket ball, england go BANANAS on the first day but it's looking tits up on the saturday morning until flintoff goes barmy and then bowls the greatest over ever on the saturday afternoon; harmison slow bowls clarke and then everyone poos themselves on the sunday before flintoff consoles brett lee. (2 minutes) manchester is still bloody brilliant, vaughan scores a century, england need to bowl australia out on the last day, ponting responds with century, england miss out by one wicket. trent bridge, the aussies follow on, england almost fuck it up, hoggy scores the winning runs!! oval, australia look threatening until sunday when they have a headrush, hoggy and freddy destroy them and then the australians have antics with sunglasses and going on and off the field all afternoon. pietersen scores 158 and ashley giles weighs in with a 50. and the bails are removed!! freddy gets pissed. wins sports personality of the year.

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
i just watched my complete Ashes 2005 boxset at the weekend (it was a big weekend) ... fuck!! it was such an amazing series. just incredible.

so sad that the lack of terrestrial coverage will prevent that communal feeling of 2005 that pretty much EVERYONE was watching the ashes. i really liked that feeling.

Agree with every word...

I really don't think there will be another major sporting event involving England as exciting as the Ashes 2005 in my lifetime.

don_quixote

Trent End
definitely agree. england could play in a 4-3 world cup final but it still wouldn't match the sustained greatness of that series

hucks

Your Message Here
Wow

I liked it on the commentary where they said., " He hasn't really got hold of that, but it's still gone for six". Brutal.

mos dan

fact music

this is why i had to laugh at the holland result, sorry (even tho he wasn't playing, i felt it was somewhat karmic) - what a phenomenally bigoted fucktard.

i just bought the ashes dvd - less than £4 on play.com!! can't wait to watch it, benjy is absolutely spot on about the communality of that summer/series. fuck the idea that it's somehow better for cricket that no-one watches it again :(

all home test series need adding to the 'crown jewels' terrestrial tv list immediately - isn't there a petition i can sign somewhere?

alex

Do not read this.
Holland result was poor, although the Pakistan match was really enjoyable yesterday, Collingwood is an outstanding fielder!!, Pakistan were really poor in the outfield I thought...good game though!, tickets are an'alf expensive to go though :eek:

S

simon silverdollar

my favourite thing about yesterday's sri lanka - australia match, apart from the always wonderful experience of seeing sri lank play cricket, and also seeing ricky ponting looking like he wanted to cry, was that they seemed to sometimesbe playing 'strings of life' when a boundary was scored. i think i like twenty20 now.

S

simon silverdollar

mendis is stunning
i love watching him bowl. he has such an odd action for a spin bowler, doesn't he? almost looks like a medium pacer...just adds to the mystery i guess.

it would make me so happy if sri lanka won the tournament - they're the most exciting and joyful cricketers in the world i think

mos dan

fact music
my favourite thing about yesterday's sri lanka - australia match, apart from the always wonderful experience of seeing sri lank play cricket, and also seeing ricky ponting looking like he wanted to cry, was that they seemed to sometimesbe playing 'strings of life' when a boundary was scored. i think i like twenty20 now.

i've just been watching it all on iplayer and catching up, i've been enjoying it, i get the feeling a few hardened test-loving traditionalists are warming to the form of the game now, is that fair?

further, why *is* it so good to watch australia lose? more so than any other country. the sri lanka game was great, their captain was really charming in the post-match interview. he's sort of the opposite of ricky ponting. speaking of whom, i posted this on my twitter, but, he should know not to underestimate leicester. LE2 BLOCK MASSIVE

http://www.zshare.net/audio/611498918562b165/

various of my mates are going to the games at the weekend, they're mostly kiwi or indian fans though as it happens. who is everyone tipping to win? and why is the super 8 round pre-seeded?

don_quixote

Trent End
once youve had a taste of LE3: YOU WILL NEVER TURN BACK

tests are still the real deal but i like twenty20 from it's early days and leics winning everything in sight. now we've lost snape, maddy, hodge, masters and broad all we're left with from the proper matchwinners are allenby and nixon... and badger is a bit past it now.

routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
it would make me so happy if sri lanka won the tournament - they're the most exciting and joyful cricketers in the world i think

i remember watching the SL squad do their little drills and warms ups before and after their warmup match at Lords and it was noticeable how much tighter and more energetic they were as a unit compared to the SA, WI and Eng squads... the WI squad in particular was like a herd of cats...

crackerjack

further, why *is* it so good to watch australia lose? more so than any other country.

What a question! Same reason it's good to watch Germany or Utd lose at football, or, if you're into rugby, the All Blacks maybe: combination of historical factors, sustained achievement and unbearable hubris.

i've just been watching it all on iplayer and catching up, i've been enjoying it, i get the feeling a few hardened test-loving traditionalists are warming to the form of the game now, is that fair?

Things like this are great - proper tournament, proper structure, everyone's at th party, not just 2 or 3 teams who were in the right hemisphere at the time. I can definitely enjoy something like this once a year, maybe every two years. Tests are still the don of cricketing combat though, and everything else should slot in around them.

S

simon silverdollar

yeah i think there's been a definite change of attitude towards twenty20 - particularly in the UK. it's no longer seen as a straightforward few hours of slogging, but now as a very tactical and strategic game.

players, and particularly captains, have to constantly be thinking very quickly and sharply. even in Tests captains can just tell their bowlers to bowl line and length for a bit and wait for something to happen...which would be disastrous in twenty20.

so, for me at least, this kind of very intellectual and tactical approach in twenty20 really appeals.

crackerjack

yeah i think there's been a definite change of attitude towards twenty20 - particularly in the UK. it's no longer seen as a straightforward few hours of slogging, but now as a very tactical and strategic game.

players, and particularly captains, have to constantly be thinking very quickly and sharply. even in Tests captains can just tell their bowlers to bowl line and length for a bit and wait for something to happen...which would be disastrous in twenty20.

so, for me at least, this kind of very intellectual and tactical approach in twenty20 really appeals.

Was interested to hear watching England match that county captains routinely give their bowlers one-over spells to keep the batsman in a constant state of flux. Must be horrible for the bowler, but anything that disrupts the batsman's groove...

Course, if you get someone like Gayle in his form of Sunday, no amount of genius tinkering makes a difference :cool: