CRICKET!! breaking news, gossip, lies, whatever etc..

S

simon silverdollar

isn't 'Boom Boom Afridi' the coolest nickname in cricket?

mos dan

fact music
if any of my employers are reading, i definitely did not spend all afternoon watching my newly-arrived ashes box set rather than working. and i'm definitely not just getting to the most awesome part of the edgbaston test right now :D

hucks

Your Message Here
if any of my employers are reading, i definitely did not spend all afternoon watching my newly-arrived ashes box set rather than working. and i'm definitely not just getting to the most awesome part of the edgbaston test right now :D

In all fairness, at £3.10, any cost conscious employer would applaud that decision

luka

i lot of cricketers are a bit fucked up looking arent they. like vaughn. or australias hussey, clarke, ponting, gobin gilchrist etc
just some fucked up looking faces

mos dan

fact music
ha ha.

I still like King of Spain best, though it reflects better on whoever thought it up than Giles.

it wasn't a question of it being 'thought up' was it? i thought it was from a typo on a barmy army fan-banner, that was supposed to say 'king of spin'?

don_quixote

Trent End
it was warwickshire ccc merchandise that there was a typo on

most awesome part of the edgbaston test being the saturday?

or shane warne treading on his wicket?

routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
i always find 'Punter' quite an amusing name for Ponting...

other nicknames, i remember reading that during the Fletcher era Strauss used to get mercilessly ribbed by the Flintoff clique (Harmison, Vaughn, Collingwood, Giles, etc) for being well-spoken and a bit clever. didn't they call him 'Lord' or something like that?

crackerjack

Gul just sent down one of the best overs you could see in 20/20 - almost every ball a yorker. Now Kallis is out. Pakistan are gonna do em.

S

simon silverdollar

Gul just sent down one of the best overs you could see in 20/20 - almost every ball a yorker. Now Kallis is out. Pakistan are gonna do em.

Gul is amazing - he can just send down yorker after yorker can't he? south africa looked totally lost against spin as well.

a final between sri lanka and pakistan would be interesting - pretty similar sides really (excellent spin attack, seamers bowling quick yorkers, extravagantly talented but fragile batting line ups). my money would be on sri lanka though, as mendis is pretty much unplayable.

crackerjack

Yep, this afternoon's final should be incredible, so long as Pakistan don't have one of their (many) off days.

SL we know will be good, Pakistan can go either way, but if Gul and Afridi bowl as well as they did against SA, and if Boom Boom or Younus middle a few....

viktorvaughn

Lee out for first 2 tests. Good news as he was reaching 95 mph in Lions game. Hopefully their rubbish spinner will play and got carted all over.

crackerjack

England are so rubbish at one-day it's painful - and so lacking in imagination. Every fucking game Colly comes in at 5, hangs around mis-hitting the ball and scores at just over 3 an over (28 from 52 today). Meanwhile, Wright is in at 7 with the game already nearly lost. Colly should play as a bowler and bat at 9, or higher if we need someone just to stay in. As it is, having lost two very winnable matches, we're now dribbling our way to about 250 maximum, probably a good deal less.

And none of them seem capable of threatening the bowling. It's like they're waiting for Pietersen to come in and rescue them. And now Wright has gone. All down to Swann's late-order biffing.

crackerjack

Freelance Freddy

Andrew Flintoff is to turn down the offer of an incremental central contract with England.

The England all-rounder has been meeting with his agent Andrew "Chubby" Chandler in Dubai and has reached a decision that he is better off as a freelance cricketer rather than being tied to the England one-day set-up.

The contract would have been worth around £30,000 and would have been topped up to six figures by his county Lancashire, but in rejecting the offer Flintoff is free to commit to his Indian Premier League employers, Chennai Superkings, who would pay him a full annual fee of $1.55m (£935,000).

Flintoff, 31, no longer qualifies for a full England and Wales Cricket Board central contract, worth up to £400,000, because he has retired from Test cricket. He is currently in Dubai recovering from surgery on his right knee.

He has pulled out of this winter's Champions Trophy and South Africa tour and will not play for England before the tour of Bangladesh in February at the earliest.

crackerjack

Is he ever going to play again though? And he is rubbish at 20/20

He should be made for 20/20 - he's a pretty economical bowler and can certainly bang a few before getting out.

Anyway, it's more the principle than the man himself - anything that's good for agents is bad for sport.

hucks

Your Message Here
Yeah, take your point. KP's probably on the phone to his agent right now. But how do you become the type of player that overseas leagues want to pay lots of money to? You have to go through test cricket first, surely? I can see it becoming an attractive late career option, mind