YouTube video finds

N

nomadologist

Cabaret Voltaire are a million times better than Mark Stewart/The Pop Group, whose sophomoric lyrics about Nietzsche render them unlistenable. The Pop Group is a little better than the solo stuff. But still.

"She is beyond good and evil" ugh. Sounds like Trenchcoat Maffia music.

tht

akstavrh
fuckn a

'songs like "Neue Deutsche Welle" (New German Wave [allusion to the so called "Neue Deutsche Welle" in the 1980's]) and "Das hier ist schwarz, rot, gold - hart und stolz" (This is black, red, gold - hard and proud), which some claim have racist themes, although Fler has denied being racist and he tried to disprove these accusations with his latest single, Cüs Junge, a song about a beautiful Turkish-German Woman'

what's gold and black and and red and proud and hard?

pop group were not inferior to cabaret voltaire, see 'we are time' and 'don't sell your dreams' and thereabouts

after that, meh

N

nomadologist

Brits may have Big Brother as the latest knotch on the old "cultural decline/international embarrassment" belt, but us (sic don't correct my grammar here k?) Yanks still have at least one on you:

Last edited:
N

nomadologist

i know, i know. i forgot to get out of my "hater" character up there! wrong thread.

i maintain that mark stewart's later solo forays are unfortunate, but i will give you "we are time." sonically i love them--now they know how to use distortion and kitchen sink pedal effects. it's just MS is so earnest sometimes when he intones things like "there's no antidote for her/i'd exchange my life for her" "she is one thing that you cannot buy/with zero reasons for living" "i'll hold you like a GUUUUNNNnnn." i get an eerie jim morrison's doppleganger vibe from him.

i kinda think that the backing band were the good part, since they were good when they left MS and formed maximum joy, while MS went on to ehh stagnate.

PS "Das hier ist schwarz, rot, gold - hart und stolz" that's referring to the colors of the german flag. don't know how it's racist, but i'd be interested in hearing someone explain it. never heard that saying from a german's mouth, so it probably is some old weird nationalist slogan...

Last edited:
N

nomadologist

oh yeah and then there's "western values mean nothing to her!"

os mutantes

tht

akstavrh
the thing to remember about the pop group is that they were so young when they started, ms was like 18/19 and in that light their failings seem almost endearing

i think i saw that exact same os mutantes clip the other day

the last few weeks i've become slightly infatuated with arnaldo baptista's loki (1974) which is not atypical given my fondness for glossolalic acid fucked brazlian aor

tht

akstavrh
PS "Das hier ist schwarz, rot, gold - hart und stolz" that's referring to the colors of the german flag. don't know how it's racist, but i'd be interested in hearing someone explain it. never heard that saying from a german's mouth, so it probably is some old weird nationalist slogan...

that hadn't escaped my notice (!!!) i just thought it was an unwittingly fecund phrase

black
hard

golden
red

proud?

N

nomadologist

i think in the liner notes to that new comp mark stewart even references how "young" and "ambitious" the early stuff is. but again i hate to see the lead singer get taken for the band and get all the cred. i always get the feeling pere ubu gets that treatment, as well. i am trying to finally immerse myself in all this brazilian soul jazz cashcow antique stuff. i would appreciate any suggestions.

this guy seems popular:

tht

akstavrh
any more of this volkische echt gangsta stuff would be appreciated

russia or fsu would be good
filipino maybe

tht

akstavrh
i think in the liner notes to that new comp mark stewart even references how "young" and "ambitious" the early stuff is. but again i hate to see the lead singer get taken for the band and get all the cred. i always get the feeling pere ubu gets that treatment, as well. i am trying to finally immerse myself in all this brazilian soul jazz cashcow antique stuff. i would appreciate any suggestions.

this guy seems popular:

there is loads of interesting stuff post 68 or so but other than os mutantes there doesn't seem to be any 'visionary' types to compare with tom jobim and his godlike facility with mor

Last edited:
N

nomadologist

that hadn't escaped my notice (!!!) i just thought it was an unwittingly fecund phrase

black
hard

golden
red

proud?

hmm. grammatically "das hier ist" isn't a typical construction in german. the verb is always the second element in a sentence. so if "das hier" is the first element, it's still weird. "it here is black red gold." are you sure it's not dass?

either way, let's say it's idiomatic for "this thing here', i would probably translate that sentence "this here is black, red, and gold--firm and proud." hart in this context is more like "stalwart" or some old-timey pre-technological revolution Teutonic militarism. and "stolz" within a metaphor about the colors of the flag has connotations like "stately", you're proud in a nationalistic, stately, superpsyched-about-your-germanness way. stolzieren means to swagger, like in hip-hop. they were looking for the rhyming couplet, mostly, also a common hip hop strategy.

ok enough of that

tht

akstavrh
hmm. grammatically "das hier ist" isn't a typical construction in german. the verb is always the second element in a sentence. so if "das hier" is the first element, it's still weird. "it here is black red gold." are you sure it's not dass?

either way, let's say it's idiomatic for "this thing here', i would probably translate that sentence "this here is black, red, and gold--firm and proud." hart in this context is more like "stalwart" or some old-timey pre-technological revolution Teutonic militarism. and "stolz" within a metaphor about the colors of the flag has connotations like "stately", you're proud in a nationalistic, stately, superpsyched-about-your-germanness way. stolzieren means to swagger, like in hip-hop. they were looking for the rhyming couplet, mostly, also a common hip hop strategy.

ok enough of that

there are loads of articles about this linked from the wiki page i c&pd from, my german is shit and i can't really be bothered

somewhere in jena an elderly coleridge scholar is taking issue with the litany of flagrant syntax errors commited by fiddy and his accomplices//

i find this completely plastic stuff way more fun than other african-diasporic adoptions of hh in europe or elsewhere

eproductionmuzc

Wild Horses
Check out HCP...Hoodie Club Productions...the only episode we have up is just a rough cut...not great...but we should have up episode 2 "Hoodie Invasion" sometime soon...maybe the first weekend in February! Check out our myspace...where you can also find a link to our youtube page and add us as your myspace friend!

http://www.myspace.com/hoodieclubproductions/

Thanks!

HCP Crew
:cool:

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Check out HCP...Hoodie Club Productions...the only episode we have up is just a rough cut...not great...but we should have up episode 2 "Hoodie Invasion" sometime soon...maybe the first weekend in February! Check out our myspace...where you can also find a link to our youtube page and add us as your myspace friend!

http://www.myspace.com/hoodieclubproductions/

Thanks!

HCP Crew
:cool:

link don't work guys

craner

Beast of Burden
I've just cottoned onto YouTube and so this'll be the thread where I hang out from now on.

One for Owen Hatherley:
A lot of effort went into this video:

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
i know, i know. i forgot to get out of my "hater" character up there! wrong thread.

i maintain that mark stewart's later solo forays are unfortunate, but i will give you "we are time." sonically i love them--now they know how to use distortion and kitchen sink pedal effects. it's just MS is so earnest sometimes when he intones things like "there's no antidote for her/i'd exchange my life for her" "she is one thing that you cannot buy/with zero reasons for living" "i'll hold you like a GUUUUNNNnnn." i get an eerie jim morrison's doppleganger vibe from him.

what are you talking about?
really.
thats a bad lyric cos it's earnest?