Rave revival?

D84

gek-opel said:
The mainstreaming of certain pop-indie-rock tropes has occurred in this country partly as a result of the backlash around 2001-ish against the previously dominant Dance scene...
This is true. I wanted to say as much but I couldn't think of a way to slag of the electronic/dance scene as well for the same sin (being boring, predictable, slavishly following the canon etc) in the same post as snappily off the top of my head.

Mind you, more than half of my recent CD purchases recently have probably been rock in some form or another (eg. Magazine, Killing Joke, Khanate).
gek-opel said:
There are endless reasons why I suspect we cannot go back... I wrote some screed on this in an email to Mark K-punk a few months back... he put it up here... http://k-punk.abstractdynamics.org/archives/007342.html
I saw it and enjoyed it. I wrote something along similar lines here on this forum a while back.

Last edited:

Gabba Flamenco Crossover

High Sierra Skullfuck
bleep said:

I dont think we need a shite euro sub-moroder bandwagon-jumping rave revival, do we young man. That's the sort of caper that gives PoMo a bad name.

Funny, coz that's an aspect of rave that's been forgotten - sometime in 1992, all the real UK hardcore producers either upwardly mobilized into back-to-the-clubs techno & house, or went darkside to varying degrees (darkside being an anti commercial movement, the antecedent of dubstep/grime's relationship with 2000-era garage).

But because public demand for rave pop didnt dry up just because the supply got shut off, there was an influx of really terrible cash-in euro rave which had nothing to do with UK rave culture. 2 Unlimited being the vanguard... didnt they get a MM cover story in 1992? Not your finest hour, popists... But there was plenty more where that came from, this stuff charted regularly for the next couple of years.

And maybe (riffing on this now), the kids who listened to this rave-surrogate and had thier sonic palates numbed by it - because listening to any music, even hardcore, after a sustained barrage of euro-rave is akin to starting a meal after eating a bag of wine gums - were the same people who formed the gatecrasher/oakenfold/trance-lite demographic in the late 90s?

So yeah, some rave artifacts probably best left buried

swears

preppy-kei
But because public demand for rave pop didnt dry up just because the supply got shut off, there was an influx of really terrible cash-in euro rave which had nothing to do with UK rave culture. 2 Unlimited being the vanguard... didnt they get a MM cover story in 1992? Not your finest hour, popists... But there was plenty more where that came from, this stuff charted regularly for the next couple of years.

Yeah, people my age started to associate this sort of cheeseball techno-lite with all dance music. This is part of the reason Britpop was so popular, every other no1 single was a one-hit wonder throwaway dance act Outhere Brothers, Rednex, Whigfield, Scatman John, etc.
So there was a longing for "proper" music to get in the charts again. Of course, then "Homework" came out and everybody was thinking "Oh riiigghhht..now we get it..." ;)

don_quixote

Trent End
haha natalie hanman

The current resurgence of post-punk influenced bands, says guitarist and vocalist Simon Taylor, means British music is dominated by the same sort of abrasive, cold music that was fashionable in the early years of Margaret Thatcher's premiership, when the average indie band wore long overcoats and appeared to have two lyrical topics: existential crises and the collapse of the steel industry.

really? all i've noticed is bad songs about going out and getting pissed rather than abrasive, cold music.

swears

preppy-kei
*sigh*

It's sad...dance music was such an important thing to me, growing up.
Now I'm starting to think that it's not such a big deal after all, just a series of musical fads nobody really gives a flying fuck about anymore. All the modernism, all that musical progress, now just debris for the indie band vultures to pick over to give them some ironic edge over all the other arrogant pricks in suit jackets and jeans.....so depressing.

Trawl through your musical history swears. Great dance music doesn't have to be reinvented for every new generation.

Take dubstep as an example. People seem to be only playing the new stuff as if each new release is the best yet. So all the latest mixes tend to have the same trax in em namely the upfront dubplates that have made it to press and now available to the great unwashed.

The key is to sort through all the hype and backslapping of current releases as you would have done with previous releases to end up with a crate of all killer no filler then select a mix that moves you and others.

Of course if you cast your net wider you can make a mix of truly eclectic stuff not limited to any subgenre or era from which they came from.

like this... ;)

http://files.filefront.com/Madtek+7+7mp3/;5228540;;/fileinfo.html

1. Hell Science Dept - Getto - Digital Distortions
2. PMT - Gyromancer - False Prophet Mix - 10 Kilo
3. Ed Chamberlain - The 3rd Fury - Digital Distortions
4. Bolz Bolz - Take a Walk - Si Begg Mix - Longhaul
5. Speculum - Implant - CDR
6. Madtek - Fix VIP - Forthcoming on Digital Distortions
7. Madtek - X - Forthcoming on Digital Distortions
8. Hell Science Dept - Predator VIP - Digital Distortions
9. Son of the Electric Ghost - Crowd Reaction - Bless Records
10. Amb - Moxa - Rasters Rewire - Chi Recordings
11. Speculum - Priapic - CDR
12. John Tejada - Psycho Happiness - Palette Recordings
13. Lostep - Because We Can - Global
14. Fine Cut Bodies - Trek Far - Elite Force Remix - Chi Recordings
15. Search and Destroy - Mark of the Beast - Combat Wax
16. Chris Carter and JHZ - Superjack
17. Madtek - Dread - Forthcoming on Digital Distortions
18. Lukes Anger - War
19. Tipper - The Red - Tippermusic

keep the faith bro. It's not dance music that's dead, it's indy guitar wank, they just don't know it.

FWIW I'm bangin aquasky vs masterblasters-beat the system as i type and i think i'm gonna get up, bust a few moves round the lounge soon then do a bit of housework.

DANCE AS THOUGH NO ONES WATCHING !!!

D84

I just saw Simon Reynold's post on the Blissblog about this thread and the Klaxons band...

First "Josef K meets Baby D": get me a bucket.

I had a listen to the stuff on MySpace. Well... off the top of my head...

They check the punky/post-punky naivety box ...

I dunno... It'll take more than a musical name-check to get me hyped. It still sounds a bit uni bar tuney to me - not that there's anything wrong with that (to all the uni bar people that might be lurking here, happy hunting!) but I've moved on.

Has anyone heard stuff from the Dutch Klakson label? Some nice electro being released there, all of which can be sampled on their web-site.

Norma Snockers

voldemort said:
Well that was a complete waste of a good 5 minutes with regards to the klaxons and I sure as hell wont be asking them to be myspace friends.

So are you a go between myspace, the artist and what? Are you a parasite or do you add anything? maybe I've missed the skills you've got?

swears

preppy-kei
Revenge of the Nerds

All the IDM geeks out there should turn their hands to making dancefloor smashes rather than pointless electronica wankery. Imagine a different Windowlicker at number one every week!

Oh, and did I mention this already? Great album:

kid606-prettyrav.jpg

soundslike1981

swears said:
Velvets/Mary Chain/Strokes

Pretty odd lineage, there. Haven't met anyone who sincerely likes one end of that spectrum that likes the other. What's the link? They use guitars?

Rockism, Ravism, Popism, Dancism, Classicalism. . . all the same, all acting like there's something "new" and something "old" and never the twain shall meet, all modernism/religious absolutism. . . I'm glad I've never known what was "hip" or "now" or "then" so I could just approach music as music.

swears

preppy-kei
soundslike1981 said:
. . . I'm glad I've never known what was "hip" or "now" or "then" so I could just approach music as music.

Nobody approaches music without any baggage. Everyone has their hang ups and preconceptions, that's half the fun!

wonk_vitesse

radio eros
swears said:
All the IDM geeks out there should turn their hands to making dancefloor smashes rather than pointless electronica wankery. Imagine a different Windowlicker at number one every week!

"IDM" can u yanks stop using this really annoying term, :mad: it's probably what killed 'rave' in the first place, please bury it and like us brits use the million categories we invented so we didn't have use "IDM" to describe stuff.

(however,maybe you're from barnsley i dunno :D )

mms

sometimes
swears said:

Oh, and did I mention this already? Great album:

kid606-prettyrav.jpg

there are loads of people out there making post windowlicker style beats most of em are french,
justice, jackson, mr oizo, dave aju etc, jamie lidell etc.. the while idm thing now is confusing as it really doesn't exist, actual clewverly programmed dance music is in the ascendance imo
yeah that record is suprisingly good,

swears

preppy-kei
mms said:
there are loads of people out there making post windowlicker style beats most of em are french,
justice, jackson, mr oizo, dave aju etc, jamie lidell etc.. the while idm thing now is confusing as it really doesn't exist, actual clewverly programmed dance music is in the ascendance imo
yeah that record is suprisingly good,

You just named some of my faves! I suppose rock was considered over in 1999/2000, before becoming huge/overhyped again. There's no reason that things couldn't swing the other way over the next two or three years.

soundslike1981

swears said:
Nobody approaches music without any baggage. Everyone has their hang ups and preconceptions, that's half the fun!

Maybe so, but the other half of the fun is (for me) watching that baggage disappear with ignorance about particular types of music, such that music becomes music and I can find the virtues in many forms. I'm not a relativist by any means, but I also know that if one form of music "got it right" or even most right, the whole act of seeking and listening would be pretty pointless. "Progress" in popular forms of music isn't zero sum--the old doesn't get replaced/refuted, the new is not "better," it's just new. Which can make it interesting, but it's not the sum total, the new and improved, of what came before.

Kate Mossad

:eek: I post this, go away for a few days and when I get back there's 56 replies! So, at the risk of pouring petrol on things and referring back to my original post "... can an ambient revival be far behind?"

mms

sometimes
swears said:
You just named some of my faves! I suppose rock was considered over in 1999/2000, before becoming huge/overhyped again. There's no reason that things couldn't swing the other way over the next two or three years.

nmqainstream dance needed a bit of a kicking mid-late 90's it was flabby, full of talentless overpaid royalty, needs to go under to get over..