Rave revival?

Norma Snockers

voldemort said:
yeah but really, what do you know ?...if anything the relationship between artist and producer/manager/agent/promoter is symbiotic.

thanx for your thoughts anyway.

I know your myspace music is very pedestrian at best. Did you add the boring bits and dumb it down a bit for mass consumption? :p

Norma Snockers

voldemort said:
Is this the famed icelandic humour I've never heard about ? :D

Just curious but do you know whatever happened to Hafdis Huld after the stuff she did with FC kahuna ?

She's just doing her own thing at the moment, she's been doing some things at greenhouse (Valgeirs studio) recently. The last I heard it's a lot less Gus Gus and more Mum

Gabba Flamenco Crossover

High Sierra Skullfuck
Raw Patrick said:
Klaxons have only one released rave cover--The Bouncer--the rest of their stuff is originals, sort've like Test Icicles.

Yes! The Test Icicles, that's who they reminded me of. Couldnt place it, thankyou.

God, what a shit band the Test Icicles were. Not many bands could live down to a name that bad, but they certainly did thier best.

gek-opal said:
One of the key narratives of post 2001 dance music (largely 4 to the floor) has been the incorporation of innovations that were previously the preserve of the electronica kids... micro sounds, hyper edits, defibrillating hi hats (Christ these are even all over The Knife's new album...) every one of the classic IDM (or really Warp Records-style mid-90s electronica if you are to be precise) aesthetic tropes has been successfully incorporated into more classicist dance tracks, (see Villalobos' OTM pronouncement that "sound design ended in 2001 with Autechre") but to be honest, whilst it is pleasurable, by now is this not beginning to feel extremely (over)familiar? It amounts to little more than a shuffling of the deck of pre-existing ideas, doesn't it?

Sound design didnt end in 2001 - what a crazy notion. There's tonnes of ideas that experimental dance music hasnt explored yet - electro-acoustic sound, algorhythmic sequencing, human/machine interaction, etc. IDM just shipped out one set of cliches & brought in a another set, which is why it got stale.

mms

sometimes
Gabba Flamenco Crossover said:
Yes! The Test Icicles, that's who they reminded me of. Couldnt place it, thankyou.

God, what a shit band the Test Icicles were. Not many bands could live down to a name that bad, but they certainly did thier best.

Sound design didnt end in 2001 - what a crazy notion. There's tonnes of ideas that experimental dance music hasnt explored yet - electro-acoustic sound, algorhythmic sequencing, human/machine interaction, etc. IDM just shipped out one set of cliches & brought in a another set, which is why it got stale.

hmm algorhythmic sequencing has been used in idm since the late 90's and electroacoustic sound has been around for a while,
human machine interaction - what do you mean by human machine interface overall?

algorthmic sounds have been used by maybe the cream or people on the margins more but its becoming part of minimal techno more and more.
electroacoustic music has been part of electronic dance music since the mid 90's.
but i don't agree that sound design is dead in any way - one of the more obvious aspects is surround sound technology, simply using and writing music for that .

swears

preppy-kei
mms said:
hmm algorhythmic sequencing has been used in idm since the late 90's and electroacoustic sound has been around for a while,
human machine interaction - what do you mean by human machine interface overall?

algorthmic sounds have been used by maybe the cream or people on the margins more but its becoming part of minimal techno more and more.
electroacoustic music has been part of electronic dance music since the mid 90's.
but i don't agree that sound design is dead in any way - one of the more obvious aspects is surround sound technology, simply using and writing music for that .

It's not really about any particular technology anyway, it's about the imagination and "touch" of the producer. Loads of early house and techno tunes were made using technology that was obsolete even at the time. There's people like the Plastician using Fruity Loops which is considered a baby steps program by most "serious" producers.
If anything, high-end gear can make it easier for musicians to conform and imitate whatever sounds are prevalent and bog-standard at any particular time, I saw a copy of computer music a couple of years ago that had advice on how to use your hi-spec PC set-up to sound like Coldplay!

What I've heard of that Alt-Delete compilation sounds pretty weak to me, some okay ideas, but the acts just don't have what it takes. There's no flair or lightness of touch there at all.

mms

sometimes
swears said:
It's not really about any particular technology anyway, it's about the imagination and "touch" of the producer. Loads of early house and techno tunes were made using technology that was obsolete even at the time. There's people like the Plastician using Fruity Loops which is considered a baby steps program by most "serious" producers.

im not really talking about tech although i totally agree that over reliance on new stuff or using new programmes to try and sound like other things can often be the death, or the dearth of electronic music, it can make quite brorign music that dates easily sometimes i 'm more talking about sound design techniques, new ways of making music and hearing it back really, but again this can position a type of music in history quite easily. but then do you really want something timeless? what does that mean really..

gek-opel

entered apprentice
The thing is when it comes to new production techniques we are in meagre times, lets face facts... back in the mid 90s you had Jungle producers exploiting time stretching for the first time, electronics guys splitting the rhythmical atom (and slicing snares into fresh shards of angular percussive blades) and experimental Euro-producers finding beauty (and a whole new aesthetic) in the sound of a skipping CD... what do we have nowadays? nothing so daring. Another way of looking at this is the Philip Sherburne view, that perhaps now all these magical techniques have been mastered we can concentrate on incorporating them as a mature, diverse language into beautiful and pleasurable musical forms (which is what folktronica, micro-house etc are clearly good examples of)...

swears

preppy-kei
To be honest, I don't want a rave revival if it means standing around in fields in crap baggy clothes off your tits on horse tranquilisers listening to any old 170 bpm nonsense.

I'd much prefer things to develop along a more modish/stylish tangent. Elegantly dressed kids dancing with precision timing to sleek, well crafted beats in small, exclusive clubs. I'd like to see UK dance's 00's version of the soulboy or smoothie rather than going back to the neo-hippy/crusty early nineties.
More Bryan Ferries and less Richard Ashcrofts please.
And the flyers would look fucking great, too.

Norma Snockers

swears said:
To be honest, I don't want a rave revival if it means standing around in fields in crap baggy clothes off your tits on horse tranquilisers listening to any old 170 bpm nonsense.

I'd much prefer things to develop along a more modish/stylish tangent. Elegantly dressed kids dancing with precision timing to sleek, well crafted beats in small, exclusive clubs. I'd like to see UK dance's 00's version of the soulboy or smoothie rather than going back to the neo-hippy/crusty early nineties.

Haha! that would be great! The only way it'd work is if the music wasn't 'released', to keep it exclusive and an event to attend at. Normally some fad like burial comes, goes, that's it. A few mouse clicks and pontifications and that 'scene' is soon dealt with.

mms

sometimes
Norma Snockers said:
Haha! that would be great! The only way it'd work is if the music wasn't 'released', to keep it exclusive and an event to attend at. Normally some fad like burial comes, goes, that's it. A few mouse clicks and pontifications and that 'scene' is soon dealt with.

but burial is part of a bigger scene that's about 4 years old, not really faddish. The nearest scene to which swears dreams of lately has been 2 step paradoxically.

swears

preppy-kei
mms said:
but burial is part of a bigger scene that's about 4 years old, not really faddish. The nearest scene to which swears dreams of lately has been 2 step paradoxically.

Yeah, something like 2step...maybe a slightly broader range of sounds, without being too sloppily eclectic.

Gabba Flamenco Crossover

High Sierra Skullfuck
swears said:
I'd much prefer things to develop along a more modish/stylish tangent. Elegantly dressed kids dancing with precision timing to sleek, well crafted beats in small, exclusive clubs.

Dont we already have that in the form of RnB clubs/scenes? Personally, I think any rave revival worth having would have to include the concept of implicit resistance to the currently prevailing cultural norms - hyper-consumerism, navel-gazing focus on the isolated 'I', voyeuristic celebrity-driven popular culture, presentation over substance, the application of goal-orientated management values to every sphere private & social - RnB would have to pull off the mother of all stylistic U-turns to provide that.

And any true rave revival would be a mass movement, so at some point the great unwashed in their crap clothes would have to be given an invite.

mms

sometimes
swears said:

i don't want a rave revival but the plur spirit is something that's very welcome - certainly not people trying to outclass each other like you describe, at the end of the day this description is something thats of everywhere.
gabba's r and b club comparison is more apt than mine.
the thing about rave that you are missing was it wasn't all crusties at all, and horse tranqs were'nt a big feature till later, it was ecstacy of course, which helped create that environment.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Hmm PLUR brings me out in a rash. Better than violence, but its spurious, ephemeral chemically derived nature gives the whole thing an almost sinister undertow of dystopia.

Freakaholic

not just an addiction
swears said:

Without the "revival" aspect of it, i think this is much the state of "Rave" in Chicago right now. With the city clamping down on larger events, and there not being a lot of effort to put on larger outdoor events, the old ravers and new crop of kids are both limited to clubs (when old enough) and loft parties. This second option is the only real example of the raving mindset. And, they tend to be very clique-ish, close-minded, and musically one-directional. (basically, they are either only house, techno, or DnB parties, you have to be on the guest list to get in, and people only dance once theyre good and lit up. plus, much of the time, if u dont look the part, then you get a lot of hassle gettin in)

Ive come to the point where i avoid these things for the most part, unless a DJ i know and like is spinning. the worst part of it all is the smaller scenes and singular approach to music.