Rave revival?

zhao

there are no accidents
what is strange is that a friend of mine who is very much immersed in the fashion world recently told me that the latest collections of some of the most forward thinking designers are bringing the rave style back - artificial, industrial fabrics, synthetic colors, baggy raver pants...

only makes sense after the 80s revival that the 90s should follow...

but after that we'll have no more past to recycle.

maybe start the cycle all over again? but from where? 1920s? Victorian?

nomos

Administrator
what is strange is that a friend of mine who is very much immersed in the fashion world recently told me that the latest collections of some of the most forward thinking designers are bringing the rave style back - artificial, industrial fabrics, synthetic colors, baggy raver pants...
i've been saving a pair of SNUGs to sell on eBay when the time comes

swears

preppy-kei
What's the music like at these raves? I've got a feeling I'd go to one and it'd just be really bad psyche-trance or something.

blunt

shot by both sides
What's the music like at these raves? I've got a feeling I'd go to one and it'd just be really bad psyche-trance or something.

Dunno, but according to the front page of yesterday's London Evening Standard, it's "rock" and "heavy metal" - right up your alley, swears. Apparently there's been a near-continuous rave in some massive squatted house in Primrose Hill all over the summer. Oh, and the garden is strewn with used needles. Obviously.

Damn kids.

Freakaholic

not just an addiction
I just picked up this record:

http://www.deathbombarc.com/releases/dba033.htm

And the description on it mentions this "ravesploitation" scene as well.

Has anyone heard of this?

the record is all booty. very simple, cheesey synth lines, old-school sounding rhythms and deeep bass lines, with some ridiculously crass vocals. hilariously wrong.

the one thing that strikes me about the whole record is that it seems to be the result of a scene that takes the hipster ideal of "irony" to an extreme. i dont know how i feel about an entire scene based around ironic appreciation of music.

Hrrm, Blissblogger mentioned the 'New Rave' thing today in relation to the Klaxons...

"the doomed-to-fail because premature revival. I'm telling you, it's a rule, you have to wait 20 years before a revival can take. And it's only been 15 years since "Charly", Altern-8 etc. "

the 20 year rule seems sound in principle, although with increased speed of life/communication it could conceivably happen sooner...plus we're all hurtling towards extinction anyway, so why the fuck not, etc...BUT...I read somewhere that the rave revival was more about the act of free/illegal parties in rural zones. the music being generally of the psytrance variety.

ps. the Three Johns reformed?! i saw them live once - god, they were shit.

swears

preppy-kei
Something's got to go away in the first place to really seem fresh again. When something is old enough and all traces have faded, it becomes slightly alien. The stylish, synthesised early eighties seemed really fascinating to me in 2000-2001 after years of scruffy indieness, baggy breakbeats, guitars and sampledelica. So I suppose 20 years is a good marker.

tate

Brown Sugar
Hrrm, Blissblogger mentioned the 'New Rave' thing today in relation to the Klaxons...
Thanks for the link, Nick. What is more striking to my mind about Blissblogger's post is his support of Clever's new jungle night. He asks if it will be a return to "retro-ambient/artcore." I can't speak for DB, whose tastes are rather varied, but Clever has impeccable taste and an absolutely coherent and long thought out concept of what jungle today can be. Though I've never met a DJ or producer stateside who actually uses Blissblogger's term "artcore," there is without question a whole set of new directions in jungle, many of them quite beautiful, musical, and utterly devoid of the 'hard' memes characteristic of dnb and dubstep, that exemplify the artcore concept. Atmospheric drumfunk would be one characterization, though Brett tends to prefer to play a drumfunk piece up against a glitch piece (Macc mixed into Sileni, for example) rather than mix straight up drumfunk for long stretches. Which is fine! It will be interesting to see if this night receives support.

Far too early for the artcore revival, surely?!

me, i'm looking fwd to the full-on Northern Bleep revival kicking-in around 2009...

...although we've got the Chicago Acid revival coming b4 then - in 2008 it'll be all about the 120bpm 4/4 squelch with zero production levels all over again...and lazer discos will be the cutting edge again - and a 'no trainers, jeans or sportsware policy' at clubs again. can't wait!!:)

Last edited:

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I just picked up this record:

http://www.deathbombarc.com/releases/dba033.htm

And the description on it mentions this "ravesploitation" scene as well.

Has anyone heard of this?

the record is all booty. very simple, cheesey synth lines, old-school sounding rhythms and deeep bass lines, with some ridiculously crass vocals. hilariously wrong.

the one thing that strikes me about the whole record is that it seems to be the result of a scene that takes the hipster ideal of "irony" to an extreme. i dont know how i feel about an entire scene based around ironic appreciation of music.

Wow, the video's quite full on.

It strikes me that people are missing the point with the idea of a 'rave' revival and what is being revived is a notion of psychedelia, an synthesis of psychedelia with regard war, famine, politics etc, combined with a new drug out on the streets - 2CB. And that kinda makes for a new thing, in my opinion it's always a new drug that makes a new thing. Everyone in London is on ketamine and 2cB, functional hallucinogens. I don't think the music's quite found itself yet but it will do over the next six months, the electronics of grime mixed with the fullness of psychedelia. 'nospace' music.

tate

Brown Sugar
Far too early for the artcore revival, surely?!
No, no, not a revival. I am talking about something like a continuity that reaches past the mythical "94-97 jungle" down into different strains today. Specific tracks by Macc, Polska, Fracture & Neptune, Breakage, Dissident, con.struct, Pieter K, and oS exemplify certain trends that share a lot in common with each other but virtually nothing with modern dnb.

muser

Free parties have never stopped, the guardian has just started all this rave revival bullshit because of the media coverage of the teknival that went on earlier on this year in cornwall,.
and generally anything that slops out onto the mainstream has been fully digested and turned over into a big pile of sloppy, edible shit.

Last edited: