blissblogger

seems like the term indie has been pretty much debased by this point in the thread where folk music like Ys that's not indie at all comes under the same umbrella as all kinds of total shit. saint etienne likewise are not an indie band or sound in the slightest.

well Saint Et's second single was a cover of a song by the Field Mice. Bob did a zine in that whole C86 era I believe. They have indie roots but obviously went far and wide beyond what's commonly taken to be the parameters of indie

woops

is not like other people
well Saint Et's second single was a cover of a song by the Field Mice. Bob did a zine in that whole C86 era I believe. They have indie roots but obviously went far and wide beyond what's commonly taken to be the parameters of indie
Fair enough and I was a bit young at the time but I don't remember anyone paying much attention til they basically went disco

woops

is not like other people
Some classic old posters there:

Gek-opel - professionally depressed theory freak, probably a well respected author now, letting the mask slip here a little

Noel emits - most sensible poster ever to leave the forum

Undisputed truth - angry weirdo who used to post pics of himself in a dressing gown with a cocktail in one hand and a vacuum cleaner in the other

sus

Before this latest discussion about Van Dyke Parks and race there was indeed a discussion of how gross all the comments about her appearance are. Misogyny, race, it's an all-time thread

sus

Sure, but this then lets white women off the hook re: seeing black and brown men as predatory or to be avoided. See for instance Bianca from cocorosie in the Washington Post circa 2005. Adorno is right here, that is what I was trying to tell you. If we buy into pop culture, we also have to, inter alia, buy into repetition. But repetition on its own is not satisfying to the brain. This is why its popular music and not high art/serious music.
The point is this is INSANE because we are talking about white Scandinavian pop producers and Joanna Newsom and you're projecting the history of white women calling rape on black men. It's a real thing that happened but what does that have to do with ANYTHING. Did Joanna Newsom have anything to do with Dr Luke? Does Dr Luke have anything to do with American slave history? Or is the only connection here their racial and gender identities which are fucking incidental and constructed more than loadbearing. Why are you endlessly dredging up racial warfare? Why are you endlessly essentializing everybody as their racial and gender category? It's not even your history, go rant about the Kurdish problem or something.

sus

Stop acting like the morality police for someone else's culture on someone else's behalf

sus

your understanding of history is very parochial and nationalistic.

And I don't think you want to hear me talk about the Kurdish problem. I did that with boxedjoy and look at how butthurt it made him.
My understanding was boxedjoy got "butthurt" very understandably because you called him a "faggot without a dick," not because of your opinions on Anatolian racial politics

sus

I rest my case. I'm not going to change taste, you refuse to open up yours, just don't visit the music section of the forum if you're going to embarrass yourself spectacularly like that.
I already said I wouldn't, quite sincerely, and then everyone came in to say "Spendo post whatever you want." As soon as there's a party line I'm happy to follow it.

Anyway, you know you can literally ignore me, right? It's not like I'm coming into the dancehall thread and posting about Newsom while bashing on black music. I left a single comment in an old thread Literally About her. AKA I continued building on a multi-decade discourse that's much bigger than either you or me.

Which caused a ten-page immune response freakout full of verbal insults and racial accusations.

sus

You have a gift!
Yes the problem is the performance must be real to work. It's like wrestling. They're performing but the blood isn't fake. The slams really hurt.

Here there's nothing physical. So you can try to keep in mind that it's all play. But that detachment ruins the play. It's impossible, a double bind

sus

Nomad was full of shit she was very active in this exact thread and didn't know or say anything of value I've read her posts they're about how no one would care about Joanna Newsom if she weren't pretty. That's called sexual competition not music criticism.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Deleting my posts from today cos this whole thread has fucked me off.

Just letting everyone know before someone decides to say oh you constantly delete, as if I don't have the right to.