hadouken - 'real grindie'

spotrusha

well, i'm not sure if it's really besides the point. because although their grind-ish side is surprisingly decent, they appear to be "taking the piss" (as they say in the uk)

Smurfie

dont like this. i love rock (smashing pumpkins, pixies, soundgarden etc.) and i play guitar, but i HATE guitar in electronic music (unless its done well, like in some of mj coles tunes). I think this sounds aweful and looking at pics of the band they look like right bellends, typical indie kids. And whoever said this sort of thing gives grime publicity is right, but thats not always a good thing, im a dnb dj and have been listening to it since i was 12, i remember when it use to be proper underground and yet now its all commercial and full of students, good for the promoters who want money, bad for people like me who use to love dnb.

'im an indie liney but i like it grimey'...... fuck off.

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
So are you drawing an analogy to the decline of drum and bass with people like hadouken getting into grime? I don't know hadouken personally, they might be total arseholes but just to judge someone on their clothes...it's not good. I don't dress too dissimilar from them and yet wouldn't consider my love of techno, dubstep, grime or anything lessened by this fact. And actually, i'm fucking glad hadouken are trying to merge grime and indie: It's alot better than most pish bands rolling over and being like, yeh, lets be like the libertines.

Smurfie

So are you drawing an analogy to the decline of drum and bass with people like hadouken getting into grime? I don't know hadouken personally, they might be total arseholes but just to judge someone on their clothes...it's not good. I don't dress too dissimilar from them and yet wouldn't consider my love of techno, dubstep, grime or anything lessened by this fact. And actually, i'm fucking glad hadouken are trying to merge grime and indie: It's alot better than most pish bands rolling over and being like, yeh, lets be like the libertines.

First of all DnB has not declined in anyway, on the contary its more popular than its ever been, but as i said, thats not always a good thing; in 97 a dnb tune was released with the lyrics: 'Underground, this is our sound', and well, it aint anymore. Its a commercial sound full of students who, for the most part, know NOTHING about the music and know NOTHING about its history...... in short, they've simply jumped on a bandwagon for the latest 'cool thing'. I aint got a problem with that, but i miss the old vibe that dnb raves use to have, full of like minded people.

Thats what commercialization of music does, and it isn't a good thing, and if you say otherwise then you're an idiot because anyone who listend to old hardcore, jungle & garage would say the same thing.

I think you're reading to much into what i said in regards to the way they dress. It is true, i hate that style of dress, i find it quite ostentacious but it fits with a specefic sub-culture: indie, and thats cool, but to see an indie kid try and do a grime song is gimmiky and a bit of a piss take; why exactly is he singing in a rude boy accent?

Layering a guitar over a dirty electronic grime beat, to me, doesn't sound good and thats all i was trying to say. Secondly, i find the band quite gimmiky, they've borrowed the sound, but i doubt they really understand it; thats cool, im sure it'll define them but i hope it doesn't mean ill start seeing full on indie kids at raves.

but to see an indie kid try and do a grime song is gimmiky and a bit of a piss take

dont know about the band but james, who writes/produces/vocals this stuff's background is in grime rather than indie, if anything he's a grime kid trying to do an indie song, you may think its shit, but to see it as a piss take in that way isn't quite right

ramadanman

i saw hadouken live in leeds - josephs well

they were sick

and i dislike indie!

the energy was incredible

their song about scenesters was hilarious, and it was just mocking 80% of the crowd

i think a lot of indie kids and some bands just see grime as a novelty. i remember when lethal bizzle were at white heat (big indie night in london), i was amazed. but then i realised they were being ridiculed rather than truly appreciated. i know this sounds a bit extreme, but basically all you get is a bunch of indie kids nodding their heads and shouting brap a few times, ironically of course.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
If indie rock takes ONE more genre and makes it shit, I will give up on music forever.

Fucking dilettantes.

Noah Baby Food

First post on here for years, got scared off...

Whatever you think about Hadouken!, you should know that their main dude James used to produce under the name Dr Venom. As someone said earlier, he's from a grime background. And it's not THEIR fault if they're getting gigs and attention and some "real grime" artists aren't. What would you do in that situation? "Sorry, no, we don't want that booking, can you offer it to Slew Dem or someone instead?".

If you want to get wound up about something, get wound up about all those fake tongue-in-cheek "MCs" on myspace. You know what I mean, those ones who haven't actually bothered to learn to rhyme and are busting some ironic Shoreditch shit. Posh girls saying "standard" etc. Now I don't necessarily think Hadouken! have loads of musical depth or anything, but then neither did the Ramones and they were quite a good pop group weren't they?

(btw, it's Noah Yes Boss not Noah Baby Food anymore, can't change my name innit)

gabriel

The Heatwave
(btw, it's Noah Yes Boss not Noah Baby Food anymore, can't change my name innit)

actually you can - try PM'ing woebot...

If you want to get wound up about something, get wound up about all those fake tongue-in-cheek "MCs" on myspace. You know what I mean, those ones who haven't actually bothered to learn to rhyme and are busting some ironic Shoreditch shit. Posh girls saying "standard" etc.

these sound hilarious, i haven't heard anything like this - can you name names please?

C

captain easychord

if you go to prancehall's blog and look at the august archives there's a video of a couple of douchebags trying to MC.

Smurfie

it wasn't in '97, you bandwagon jumper.

when was it then?, you dont even know what tune im talking about you twat.

anyway, i double checked and it was 96: swan-e (know who that is?) & fearless.

bandwagon jumper? oh, how insulting, if only it were true, ey?

Noah Baby Food

haha...being a diplomatic "recording artiste" myself I don't really wanna name names. Do some digging and you will find these wasters. There's plenty of 'em out there. Cats who prolly would have done electroclash a few years back and are now wearing wacky clothes and "buss'in lyrics".

And if I hear one more person rhyme "geezer" with "bacardi breezer" i'll switch I swear. Think old Mike Skinner said this first ages ago which is kinda fair enough. Just Jack says it on a track. The only usage I like is that grime MC who says "you're any geezer/bust yer head with a Bacardi Breezer/you're any brae/bust yer head with an Alize". To be fair, an Alize round the head would be way worse than a Bacardi Breezer.