wu-tang's hidden gems

crackerjack

Have we already talked about the Japanese release of the soundtrack to Ghost Dog? It's meant to be really good, and I remember the music from the film being so, but the US/UK release was full of stuff that wasn't in the film, and was mostly quite drab.

It's come up before somewhere. Is the japanese one mostly instrumental and the actual score, whereas the regular release was like a Wu 2nd team round-up?

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
*Shrugs shoulders*

Thanks for setting me straight on my mistake, and also on one I didn't make. And thanks for reducing another thread into a competition to see who knows most stuff. it's been great, really.

I don't understand how it is that when I post something regarding Hip Hop when someone makes a mistake or an erroneous statement and I correct them I'm somehow turning it into a "competition" about who knows more? There IS no competition in most cases.

Put yourself in MY shoes if you came to Dissensus (a site I come to essentially to learn stuff) and you see something you know is erroneous? It's like seeing someone on another site butchering the "Hardcore continuum" or something of that nature. You do realize how RARELY a Hip Hop related thread comes up on Dissensus, right? Look at how often I've posted here in just short of four years for an idea.

SMH.

One.

crackerjack

I don't understand how it is that when I post something regarding Hip Hop when someone makes a mistake or an erroneous statement and I correct them I'm somehow turning it into a "competition" about who knows more? There IS no competition in most cases.

Put yourself in MY shoes if you came to Dissensus (a site I come to essentially to learn stuff) and you see something you know is erroneous? It's like seeing someone on another site butchering the "Hardcore continuum" or something of that nature. You do realize how RARELY a Hip Hop related thread comes up on Dissensus, right? Look at how often I've posted here in just short of four years for an idea.

SMH.

One.

I'm happy to have my "erroneous statements" pointed out (God knows i make enough of them), to learn something new or, as was probably the case here, be reminded of something I'd forgotten I ever knew.

But can't you see how ignoring the sentiment of that post, latching onto "debuted", making your corrections and following them up with

Come on, man! SMH.

Nice try, though.

comes across as a little bit supercilious and just plain arsey?

crackerjack

I spent years working in record shops and being around and (too often) a part of dumb arguments about who knows what, and who liked it first, that strip all the fun out of music.

So I'm a little wary when I sniff that kind of competitiveness. But if that wasn't PD's intention, than my apologies.

And fwiw I'd rather you posted here more often and kept us up on what's good in hip hop, cos some of us would rather talk Wu tang all day than even 5 mins on nuums or dubstep.

hint

party record with a siren
Poisonous Partridge said:
STOP GETTING WU TANG WRONG

;)

Anyway... it's pretty amazing that someone in Ghostface's position can have an album released with the "wrong" beats on it.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
I've seen much worse..

Sometimes albums are released with alternate versions of songs on an album than the artist would like because of A&R's or higher ups/label brass. Slick Rick has had albums full of material that he didn't approve released in the past ("Behind Bars"). Once Big Noyd's entire demo was turned into an album/EP rush job by Tommy Boy ("Episodes Of A Hustla") to benefit off of his Mobb Deep ties.

Sample clearance is a MAJOR problem for Ghostface Killah, that why he has so much unreleased material and alternate versions of songs floating around.

One.

craner

Beast of Burden
One of the most insane and off-beam and bizarre and brilliant hip hop tracks ever?

Quantify, or justify, this. How does it sit with the 5%ers?

craner

Beast of Burden
I can't express the pain
that was felt on the train
to Auschwitz
tears poured down like rain

Now you all know me, and my philo-semitism, but that's a rhyme that should never have been written, let alone rapped.