Clothes

tom pr

what's the dissensus on converse then? i've never even considered trying them but i was in the states recently, went into the shop and they ranged from fifteen to thirty dollars a pair. so i got three - a pair of pink high-tops, beige high-tops and regular white ones:

PinkConverseHighTopTransparent_misc.gif
3837.gif

I also saw a pair of vans I really liked today and I havent been into them since i was sixteen, but i couldn't justify it. i like peter werth's shoes and recently got these:

werth1kk9.png

in fact my favourite ever shoes were peter werth, but I destroyed them in the space of about a week last year by wearing them to Wild in the Country and then having a kickabout on my mate's estate in them. no washing machine could save them. my current squeeze is a red hoodie I got the other day- i've been sleeping in it and everything. I love it like i will one day love my children.

zhao

there are no accidents
wha?? a thread about mindless commodity fetishism and vapid vanity has turned into a semiotic analysis of fashion??? on Dissensus??? i don't believe it!!! :rolleyes: (but love it :D)

- Abstract art is not really all 'guesswork.'

- Fashion of course is similar in some ways (different in others).

taste can be specified, articulated, and discussed, to a large degree

a man/woman after me own heart.

there are of course deeper cultural discourse which informs, and largely determines seemingly random and fickle changes in surface ephemera.

shifts in aesthetic awareness are influenced by so many political/cultural factors and shifting of awareness that while a break-down is certainly worthwhile, arriving at a definitive equation might not be possible.

Jaie Miller

i love the guy who started this thread. i think he is nice.

I really like the low cut at the front trousers. is the only way i can describe them.

I'm going for an awkward basquiat walk, almost a stumble, posibly with ink on my fingers or on my face, definatly mid junkie lost in london look. half drunk staggerish, falling asleep on the guys shoulder on the tube trying to read his paper look. this incorperates the elements of talking to onesself and at any moment a stranger. funny observant humour tottally weird and embarrasing kinda talk.

photographie.jpg

tom pr

oh yeah, I'm rarely brave enough to wear red. in fact i think this is the only red item of clothing i have. this hoodie's so nice though - it's just a simple adidas one with navy stripes but it fits really nicely (it's not tight but it doesn't hang down - just sits on my torso) and i love it. I've even been combining that red with the pink shoes, which is meant to be a fashion faux pas but seems to work well with dark blue jeans.

i've just had a week in the states which might have helped as i'm back to being as tanned as i was two years ago. which still isnt that tanned, but after three years studying in the north of scotland turning me as pale as a ghost, it's an improvement!

Leo

what's the dissensus on converse then?

luv 'em. classic, cheap, can use them to walk on the beach and don't care if they get all sandy/wet. the anti-nike (although, ironically, they were taken over by nike a few years back, hence the expansion of colors). maybe it's an american thing, i grew up with them (and pro-keds), still have two pairs (red and white low-top). they've also recently been licensed to some high-end fashion designers who have modified versions for hundreds of dollars.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
So what's the position on Stussy? I have found a load of cheap t-shirts and I am drooling over them and about to spunk money on them...

DannyL

Wild Horses
Stussy are one of those labels that seemed really hot a couple of years ago - don't know what there stuff is like now or if this matters a fuck, I think it depends on the individual tees.

john eden

male pale and stale
The daughter freaked me out yesterday by talking about "aciieeeed" cos she'd seen it in the paper. Because it was twenty years ago.

"Have you got any records that go 'aciiiieeeeeed' dad?"

"Why, yes....".

elgato

I just dont know
i find clothes so difficult. i am one of the pickiest / cheapest people i know when it comes to this, so i think i end up looking a bit like a trendy tramp cos all the stuff i get is quite nice but gets rinsed. kind of like i was quite well-off once but now have fallen on hard times

although i did recently(ish) purchase what is now my prize clothing possession, in a fairly outrageous splurge, a beautiful light grey, slim-cut Paul Smith suit with thin, faint lilac pinstripes. its so beautiful, but i never get to wear it!

general day-to-day wear is a nightmare, trainers i am particularly struggling with at the moment. actually, can anyone recommend?... not Nike, and primarily white, chunky (not converse), preferably hi top. was considering some quite outlandish Reeboks but the bright pink and lime green were just a little too far

Chef Napalm

Lost in the Supermarket
christ

that's like, 12 records
I relate almost everything to the cost of records and/or gear. It drives my wife crazy.

Slight aside: what's the dissensus on gig-wear. I've started dressing in layers because I go from nervous-freezing-cold to mid-set-porcine-sweating. I find it tough locating functional yet distinctive stuff to wear, tho. I've been in essentially the same clothes for the last 3 shows.

STN

sou'wester
my ruling for gigs, dances and everything else is that I would rather be too cold than too hot.