Clothes

Leo

american apparel here in the states has lots of plain t-shirts in lots of colors.

i'm skinny as a snake (6'2", 145 lbs) and recently went looking for jeans...what a drag. everything is either baggy-ass gear for hiphoppers (or, in less flattering styles, for generic middle-aged babyboomers) or skin-tight for the young 'uns. tried the levi's store for a pair of their skinny 511s (thankfully not too tight) and they had every conceiveable size combination except mine (31 waist, 34 leg).

for lack of anything else, i'm still living in a few pairs of 10-year old helmut lang jeans (perfect fit for my frame) that i scored for about 75% off at century 21!

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Oh God, I'm not sure which is worse - wannabe 'gangstas' wearing jeans that'd make MC Hammer blush, or trendy emo/indie twats wearing spray-on jeans so they can show off how fashionably emaciated they are.

I'm tall and thin (6'2", about 160 lbs, I think) and I can find jeans that fit, although it's sometimes a struggle.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Haha, you don't know how badly you're asking the wrong person here.
I have one pair of Levis that I bought on special offer somewhere, and the pair I'm wearing now are from Creon Previs. Which sounds like a small town in Wales.

I'm only label-conscious in that there are certain brands I hate, mainly the ones that emblazon all their clothes with their logo, which I find extremely vulgar, not to mention the fact that there are people who will pay £50 instead of £5 for a tee-shirt just because it says 'Evisu' on it. See also: Paul Frank, Bench. Gah.

/rant over

N

nomadologist

Leo, at your height and weight you could do those Dior Homme straight leg jeans. They're all over ebay for cheap.

My boyfriend has good luck with Levis and some of the random topshop brands (which he gets on ebay). I hate loving American Apparel. American Apparel's ad campaigns are really annoying, but you haven't lived until you've worn their sweatpants and hoodies. Their t-shirts are the only ones that fit my bf--they're not that big baggy type of t-shirt with the huge arm holes, but they're not cheesily tight either. In a million colors.

polystyle

This has been a good and funny thread fer awhile now
Clothes are too fun, the world's too full of great stuff, wear whatever the *uck you like.

Cost and lack of good stuff got you down? one word fer ya's - Uniqlo ...
My wife and I select what they have online before we go to Tokyo ($5-7 for T's, pants 10-15$ , etc. designs changing constantly) , take the sales discounts and have everything sent to Tokyo address for us to pick up on arrival.
Seeing as the missus always likes to bring bk more then we bring - it works out.
The NY store opening was a phenom , packed out - but the T shirt selection was tops.
Prices a bit higher here tho'

I believe Londonium will get a Uniqlo too ...

As mentioned earlier, Muji has some nice things too.
Picked up a sweet well cut rain jacket with shaped hood , zip pockets for like $60
at their Saitama store few months back.

I think all the Uniqlos in England have now closed down apart from one in central london. I like getting socks and underwear but it's useless for anything else if you are over 5'10".... (how come there are so many lankylegs on here? we must be highly evolved)
anyway, same goes for muji, nice cheap stuff but all for shorter people than me.

there are pleny of jeans with long legs these days. i like evisu plain ones but if that's too pricey, try G star....

lately i have been loving proper shirts (i am 34 and didn't wear one since leaving school until quite recently)..... but hating the ironing.
I bought some proper middle aged man's slacks the other day, they were quite nice but i felt like i was getting ready for school so it's back to jeans and combats, maybe i can get away with it another few years until my eyebrows turn grey...

N

nomadologist

wow, uniqlo looks cool on the website. it's down near G-star, which has really really beautiful ultramod AND warm winter coats for men. For women, it's pretty sporty.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Out of interest, have any of the people talking about spending £60 on shirts and so forth ever used the phrase 'middle class' perjoratively on this forum?

N

nomadologist

Who said anything about spending $120 on a shirt? People were in fact talking about trying to spend the least amount of money possible for decent quality clothing that fits. Some of us have a hard time finding things that fit in the mall since not all of us have the "average" builds that mass produced clothing are cut for.

There is something "middle class" about this? You're on a message board, Slothrop. That's a leisure class activity as well, so I don't think you have some sort of moral high ground here. Sorry.

N

nomadologist

Out of curiosity, are there many here who can say they've never spent $120 on their entertainment--say, on a set of DVDs or an original vinyl pressing of a favorite record? Whoever has never spent too much money on a necessity can cast the first stone here.

You know what's "middle class"? Being middle class and accusing others of being somehow more "guilty" of being middle class than you are because they spent x amount of money on an article of clothing or some sort of entertainment vehicle. Such bullshit. Sometimes token liberals sound just as ridiculous as fundamentalist Christians...

Lichen

What's more Slothrop, isn't there a working class tradition of expensive dressing in the UK....from Teddy Boys through to Mods and Casuals.

In fact, dressing smartly is anything BUT middle class.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Erm, I am middle class and I don't deny it. I speak something near BBC English and both of my parents have degrees. The only reason I don't buy fitted shirts is that I can't afford it owing to that most bourgeouis of luxuries, being poor by choice (via postgrad study, in my case).

My point (insofar as I wasn't just being facetious) was that this thread makes for an interesting contrast with the music board (for instance) where "middle class" seems to be shorthand for all that is bad and wrong with the world.

Lichen: yeah, you're right, although the current incarnation of that particular tradition is designer / branded sports casual wear, which noone's really been talking about beyond trainers.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Out of interest, have any of the people talking about spending £60 on shirts and so forth ever used the phrase 'middle class' perjoratively on this forum?

Hahaha. I'm a middle-class warrior. I get annoyed by TV presenters with sloppy pronunciation. I host wine-and-cheese parties. I think people who use any class term perjoratively are snobbish cunts. And I consider a tenner to be expensive for a tee-shirt.

(When you say "talking about spending £60 on shirts", do you mean admitting to having spent that much, or criticizing people who have done??

jenks

thread death
I think it might almost be worthwhile starting a 'How tall are you thread' - seems that Dissensus types are all preternaturally tall. I read in Gladwell's Blink that a huge percentage of America's top CEOs are over 6' i.e a small percentage of the population taking up a high percentage of the top jobs. Maybe it's the same here.

I'm 6'2" btw

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
It's the growth hormones our mothers chugged down while gestating us. Also helps explain the huge brains.