Clothes

N

nomadologist

humans are better nourished than ever, in general, in the first world. kids go through puberty earlier, our life expectancy is 10-20 years longer (at least) than our ancestors who were really short in the 16th century. probably fewer birth defects and stuff like that.

it's interesting that last year was one of the first years in america since 1970 that the average life expectancy for males and females actually declined rather than increased. don't know if this applies to europe or just america.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
humans are better nourished than ever, in general, in the first world. kids go through puberty earlier, our life expectancy is 10-20 years longer (at least) than our ancestors who were really short in the 16th century. probably fewer birth defects and stuff like that.

it's interesting that last year was one of the first years in america since 1970 that the average life expectancy for males and females actually declined rather than increased. don't know if this applies to europe or just america.

If it applies to America now, it's bound to apply to the UK sooner or later. A hell of a lot of people eat complete crap, get pissed every weekend and sit on their arses all day, so it's scarcely a surprise. There's a generation of middle-aged people in America who are already having more health problems than their own parents do now.

You're dead right about being loads taller now. One of the great things about going into 300/400-yeat-old pubs is having to duck your head under the low ceiling. :)

STN

sou'wester
Anyone else get height-guilt at gigs? I always have to stand at the back because otherwise I fear I'm obstructing someone's view and I like to be as friendly a giant as possible.

turtles

in the sea
my gog, we should start a volleyball team or something (I have a feeling we'd still get our asses handed to us in basketball despite our collective height...)

yes someone please start a 'how tall are you' thread

Guybrush

Dittohead
Regarding the ‘looking too good’ argument: I can think of many situations where it’s advantageous not to look your absolute best. Beauty and stylishness can be equally as intimidating as it’s alluring, it’s all in the mind of the beholder.
Or, looking natty and ragged can be just another fashion statement, or set of signs that are distinct to an existing/well-established subcultural movement. Grunge, for example.

The truth is, no matter what you wear, your clothes relay certain information about you that others are called upon to read. This info is, of course, all tangled up in consumerism and fetishism and social politics. Even if you're just wearing your boxers and an undershirt. And I don't mean read in the sense of "judging" necessarily, but on the general level of assessment of another creature and their intentions. Like dogs sniff one another. We're not so special after all, then, are we. Just typical primate behavior, all of the codes and signals.

I want to pick up this thread again, since I think it’s interesting. I think you misread me slightly, Nomadologist, I was not proposing changing dressing style altogether (which, as you rightly mention, just means changing one set of ‘information-senders’ into another). Rather, I was thinking of how it can be advantageous to ‘dress-down’, dress less ‘smart’ if you like (quotation marks a-go-go here), within you own sub-cultural clothing group (if we pretend there is such a thing—in reality, everything is fluctual, of course). This to make people relax, for them to consider you down-at-heel—in a good way. :) I would think this practise is pretty common, I certainly indulge in it from time to time.

N

nomadologist

Guybrush, I got what you meant, I actually thought it was a good point and was jus tryin to add to it.

Immryr

yeah this whole hight thing is fairly strange. im 6'1", although i never really think about myself as being especially tall.

Leo

Anyone else get height-guilt at gigs? I always have to stand at the back because otherwise I fear I'm obstructing someone's view and I like to be as friendly a giant as possible.

at 6'2", i have felt that way at times...but i can't tell you how many times i've managed to get an even taller dude standing in front of me!

on the opposite end of the spectum, in all the years she's been going to shows, my 5'3" girlfriend (yes, we make for something of a "striking" pair) has actually been able to see the band on just a handful of occasions. the big-gig shows at venues with high stages aren't bad but forget about small clubs.

sorry to derail the thread, back to it now...

Guybrush

Dittohead
Guybrush, I got what you meant, I actually thought it was a good point and was jus tryin to add to it.

Ok, I see.

Since we’re all genuflecting at the altar of Momus, I guess you read his piece on the blandness of jeans. I have been thinking about this recently since I’m about to replace my worn-out pair and have been thinking of buying something more original, yet versatile. Thing is, I cannot think of any viable alternatives bar grandpa chinos or the baggy route, neither of which is very tempting (there’s also dungarees of course, but somehow that’s not for me). A pair of smart shorts for long summer-strolls, perhaps? When did jeans become omnipresent anyway?

zhao

there are no accidents
When did jeans become omnipresent anyway?

I think denim became popular in the 1700s, in the developing western part of the US. and have been popular civilian wear since the 40s or 50s... I have to admit that I just love a good pair of jeans... nothing like it.

zhao

there are no accidents
what cities are best for dressing up? Paris? (not Berlin so I've heard). what about London?

N

nomadologist

berlin is definitely not a huge one for dressing in a super-spiffy dandy-ish way, but they do like their minimal jil sander/helmut lang and techno-fabrics. i miss berlin :(

N

nomadologist

good jeans are great because you can buy two or three really beautiful pairs and they'll last three or four seasons instead of buying the same dollar amount worth of cheapo h&m or mall retail badly cut jeans that fall apart in six months. i have the sass and bide misfits in gunmetal and i personally think they look very sharp, even though they were $140...heh...

polystyle

Hmm, it depends doesn't it ?
H Lang definitelys work in Berlin certain restaurants, depends on occasion, company.
When one says 'Dandy' automatically makes me think Blixa/ENB's 'Der Todt En Dandy'
Paris has been looking good last two trips , conflux of styles low - mid -high
NYC still has it's moments to dress - openings, parties, friends come to town
Antwerp was a pleasant surprise, many mixed styles apparent tho' esp. around ModeNatie - after all the town of M Margiela (white on white), V Branquino et all.
Not to mention Tokyo, HK ...

Haven't had occasion to be in London in ages
(not so easy to get gigs in London , at least so far)
Saw a version in Children Of Men tho' !

borderpolice

London's not good for men's clothes, specially not shoes (other than
trainers). in fact, this is the decade of bad shoes, i reckon!

Tokyo is phantastic for fashion, alas i'm too tall for what's on offer. but
just checking out what's on offer is a pleasure!

zhao

there are no accidents
what about Latin America? which are the most stylish cities?

Sass and Bide are all about the tapered look. I like it on girls, but 9 times out of 10 the ultra skinny ankle-tight look is terrible on guys -- walked into Diesel the other day (nostalgia for my younger days?) and the kids that worked there all had on really low cut, baggy around the butt, skinny around the ankles black jeans... as if the indie-dogshit they listen to wasn't puke-worthy enough...

zhao

there are no accidents
WTF is this?!?! he's... TUCKING IN his tie??

pPOLO2-2988883_standard_v330.jpg

Last edited: