Woebot on funky house

dominic

Beast of Burden
ha ha

dj superior just endorsed the dmz crew and dubstep -- said they'll have the scientist in next week on his show -- said things might get a bit heated if people disagree???

but yeah, dj superior is just playing house music, some tracks good, some tracks not so good

the track right now is slamming -- i've heard it out -- always thought it was minimal tech

"devious" is the name of the track?

actually dj superior's chat is very cool -- and actually on point for this thread! -- says he's a house dj around the house lot, a garage dj around the garage lot -- he's versatile and adaptive -- doesn't put a category on himself -- says his background is in jungle/garage -- doesn't matter where you come from -- push in your own direction w/ own sound and own twist

now he's playing a track that a good mate of mine has played for years -- "what you do for me" or some such -- i can get the name from my mate -- brilliant brilliant track

so you know, i've gotta say, i think this dj superior is alright

Last edited:

Chef Napalm

Lost in the Supermarket
ha ha

<snip>

but yeah, dj superior is just playing house music, some tracks good, some tracks not so good
House, House, House, HOUSE! And loving it.

actually dj superior's chat is very cool -- and actually on point for this thread! -- says he's a house dj around the house lot, a garage dj around the garage lot -- he's versatile and adaptive -- doesn't put a category on himself -- says his background is in jungle/garage -- doesn't matter where you come from -- push in your own direction w/ own sound and own twist
Any DJ worth his salt should be able to do that, IMHO.

Disco now! You wouldn't be able to knock the grin off my face with a hammer.

mms

sometimes
ha ha

dj superior just endorsed the dmz crew and dubstep -- said they'll have the scientist in next week on his show -- said things might get a bit heated if people disagree???

the track right now is slamming -- i've heard it out -- always thought it was minimal tech

"devious" is the name of the track?

now he's playing a track that a good mate of mine has played for years -- "what you do for me" or some such -- i can get the name from my mate -- brilliant brilliant track

doesn't this confusion say something pretty positive about dance music in 07'?
Rather than a kind of dance music run distinctly by different stylistic strands, postcodes and microscenes, the 'try something new' differ the mood vibe is a much better look.

dominic

Beast of Burden
this dj superior has got a good sound -- perhaps a bit conservative -- but i have no quarrel with this man

S

simon silverdollar

locked in too, and yeah it's great. now he's playing some clicky poppy trance stuff in amongst some electro.
i'm starting to think that 'funky house' encompasses all contemporary 4/4 dance music that has a melody and isn't designed for people on ketamine, and isn't hard-house.

how's that for a definition? ;)

Chef Napalm

Lost in the Supermarket
locked in too, and yeah it's great. now he's playing some clicky poppy trance stuff in amongst some electro.
i'm starting to think that 'funky house' encompasses all contemporary 4/4 dance music that has a melody and isn't designed for people on ketamine, and isn't hard-house.

I'd say that's pretty accurate. I wouldn't necessarily count Hard House out yet, tho. Some Todd Terry would be right at home with these tracks.

Now it needs a name.

nomos

Administrator
He does 2step sets sometimes too. They're fun.

One time I texted right after waking up and thought he was Heny G. He had a bit of a go at me :p

S

simon silverdollar

...and now it's knobbly post-Wighnomys stuff. crikey.

dominic

Beast of Burden
not sure if the man has an aesthetic -- the set seems to have lost all cohesion at this point -- i really liked what he was playing earlier

now he's playing minimal-techy-like tracks that are admittedly good for what they are, but i'm not sure what the point is . . . .

mms

sometimes

Dunno cos if you picked uo a funky house comp you'd get some strictly rhythm copyist stuff with lots of compression and roaring breakdowns and ups i'm sure, maybe like everyone else funky house dj's are encompassing more things?

Tyro

The Kandy Tangerine Man
not sure if the man has an aesthetic -- the set seems to have lost all cohesion at this point -- i really liked what he was playing earlier

now he's playing minimal-techy-like tracks that are admittedly good for what they are, but i'm not sure what the point is . . . .

To take you on a journey.Free your mind and your ass will follow.Remember the original definition of Garage? Larry Leven would certainly have approved of what they are doing!

http://www.myspace.com/thekandytangerineman

elgato

I just dont know
lol. its not just that though is it, its bringing variation and excitement, opening peoples' minds, providing context and contrast to bring new excitement to tracks. if it mixes, why not

i saw a set that pissed me off on the weekend... some djs whose set was literally 90% dave taylor, herve and jesse rose. sick tunes, but for billed djs, with no official affiliation, that to me is lazy and wack

i love the idea of this dancefloor melting pot - whatever does the trick. which is part of why i hated that article - building walls around genres on an uninformed instinct

D

dubversion

i really hate it when people use their intelligence to dress up taste as objectivity and denigrate the work and art of others

that's as maybe, but funky house is still utter toilet :)