Woebot on funky house

D

dubversion

I'm prepared to adopt a wide, scatter gun approach to anything that might fit. Just to be sure :)

DJL

i'm joking
Why not just call it 'underground house'?!

People have become so confused imo with all these 'genres'. Its like is everyone trying to seperate themselves from each other. Stupid game theory thinking that has spread to the population and is turning us all into nazis. The more people work together the better things will get. Its not gay or weak to do this. We don't all need to act hard and indignant now the 9/11 everlasting war is coming to an end.

bassnation

the abyss
Would people contest the idea that funky house is purely functional music? It seems to me like formulaic, predictable stuff for people to ignore whilst they dance and hook up. I can't help but think that the responses to it that Woebot references are completely unconnected to the actual music in the clubs, and more to do with the general vibe of people having a party.

house music started as disposable pop for christs sake. without house music dubstep wouldn't even exist - people forget their roots so easily.

sometimes girls (and boys) just want to have fun. its the old rave ethos. most people didn't feel the need to masturbate over white labels and were more than happy for tunes to be disposable, to be about the moment or even as background music for scoring. why is this wrong? save the awe-filled reverence for hoary old prunes like the rolling stones and try to take it less seriously before real life comes crashing in with something to really worry about.

i for one thought it was a wicked post and doesn't come a moment too soon. big up matt.

D

dubversion

Why not just call it 'underground house'?!

People have become so confused imo with all these 'genres'. Its like is everyone trying to seperate themselves from each other. Stupid game theory thinking that has spread to the population and is turning us all into nazis. The more people work together the better things will get. Its not gay or weak to do this. We don't all need to act hard and indignant now the 9/11 everlasting war is coming to an end.

Not only do i think it's naive to think the "9/11 everlasting war is coming to an end" (the complete contradiction on that phrase notwithstanding) but to oppose to genres in music on that basis is crazy :D

DJL

i'm joking
Not only do i think it's naive to think the "9/11 everlasting war is coming to an end" (the complete contradiction on that phrase notwithstanding) but to oppose to genres in music on that basis is crazy :D

haha lol :) It may be naive to think all the shit is coming to an end. Its mainly prompted by reading that the House Of Representatives in the US had voted for all US troops in Iraq to be withdrawn by September 2008. I assume that this all was passed and is def going to happen. I hope no one can correct me.

DJL

i'm joking
yeh, but they'll be on to Iran by then :)

I think though that if the House Of Representatives are mobilising off their own backs to stop the Iraq situation Bush and co will find their Iran plan much more difficult to initiate. The smoke has cleared for a lot of people now.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
What thread is this? ;)

Isn't it often the case that when things get really bad music drifts towards the more escapist / hedonistic?

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
I think I kind of agree with dubversion here. Funky house from what I can tell just seems to encompass lots of things I really don't like in music. That doesn't mean I'm against fun and exuberance and licks for the ladies. I'm prepared to change my mind if someone can send me some decent pills and cocaine for the weekend.

DJL

i'm joking
Isn't it often the case that when things get really bad music drifts towards the more escapist / hedonistic?

Yeah I think that is true. I think though that deep down everyone knows what is going on. It's just been too much to take in and confront until more recently.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
house music started as disposable pop for christs sake. without house music dubstep wouldn't even exist - people forget their roots so easily.

Boring argument. I'm not denying dubstep's roots in house, but that doesn't mean I have to listen to it or like it.

bassnation said:
sometimes girls (and boys) just want to have fun. its the old rave ethos. most people didn't feel the need to masturbate over white labels and were more than happy for tunes to be disposable, to be about the moment or even as background music for scoring. why is this wrong?

That's exactly what I'm saying :slanted:

Some people are perfectly happy for music to be disposable, but I'm personally not. Live and let live - you can have your fun, I'll have mine, but I like my music to actually mean something to me... :)

Last edited:

Tyro

The Kandy Tangerine Man
What thread is this? ;)

Which is precisely why the concept of 'Urban House' holds water.But I can also detect a drift towards respect and responsibility coming into play as well.
Its refreshing to hear DJs using the term ladies again.There has been too much blatent misogyny associated with Urban music forms.Anyone who feels the need to describe women as Gash and Skets shouldnt really be behind the microphone on the radio or in a club.

http://www.myspace.com/thekandytangerineman

Chef Napalm

Lost in the Supermarket
I would agree with that, but I see the hedonism as a positive step towards something great. Think punk, think acid house, think 'ardcore: all raw, emotional music to which one gets gloriously sweaty.

Some people are perfectly happy for music to be disposable, but I'm personally not. Live and let live - you can have your fun, I'll have mine, but I like my music to actually mean something to me.
That's exactly why I think it's time for a change. Too much meaning and not enough shaking.

Logos

Ghosts of my life
I also have some sympathy with Woebot's point about the post-acid house big bang losing cohesion as an organising principle.

Thought I'm not sure if I buy into the whole acid house 'year zero' thing either.

The whole shanty house thing...yeah its cool, but isn't that what the likes of Ghislan Pourier and DJ Rupture have been doing for ages?

Last edited:

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
Why does music ALWAYS have to have meaning?

I'd rather read literature for insightful meaning. It's generally of a higher standard.

Music is more often than not functional as entertainment. So entertain me.

DJL

i'm joking
Why does music ALWAYS have to have meaning?

I'd rather read literature for insightful meaning. It's generally of a higher standard.

Music is more often than not functional as entertainment. So entertain me.

I think there should be a balance. I don't think thought and meaning should ever be discouraged. The best musicians combine meaning with entertainment from experience. DJs have more freedom in that they can play dumb tunes next to more thought out ones and make both work together and seem good. A DJ like Youngsta in dubstep can alter the way a tune sounds purely through the context he puts it in for example. When people think about it in purely cyclic black and white theories they have things can get distorted. People are saying guitar music is dead and its dance musics time again - why can't we have both running alongside each other together?

micmack

My Little Pony
I don't know much funky house and I do have a fondness for some dubstep, but I have to agree that much that I hear in d/step can lead me

"into a state of emotional torpor."

dubstep reminds me sometimes of the Bristol Trip Hop vibe. I can't see a lot of it making much of a emotional mark. I can say about too many dubstp tracks they are nice, but don't bring me to much in the way towards any joy.