Poisonous Dart's Greatest Hip-Hop LPs

RAISED BY WOLVES

and I don't think Fat Joe gets his props either, and no DITC?

Never liked fat joe much, But DITC put out so many classic records during that era I can hardly count.

The Full Scale EP was amazing, and I would have put it in my list, but its not really an official "album" release. The song with KRS and Pun is a personal favorite of mine.

crackerjack

Gawd, I always thought Fat Joe was well overrated. Watch The Sound is great, the rest I can leave.

Big L and Finesse were DITC's finest. And OC for a while.

tom pr

Capital Punishment fucking rules, it's one of the hiphop albums I can put on and non-hip hop people go 'this is good, what's this?'.
I actually liked the one after Capital Punishment more, though maybe it's just because I haven't listened to it in so long... But yeah, by all accounts Pun seemed like a very troubled, violent person. According to his wiki entry he used to smash the walls in his house up, and then eat the wood.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
I agree, disagree

Cheeky bugger, I was staring at that for 5 minutes going :confused:

AG is good, obv., but he's very clinical and there's something about that that just doesn't excite me the way L and Finesse do -

:eek:

I think he rates like this in comparison to the other D.I.T.C. emcees:

1. Big L
2. Lord Finesse
3. O.C.
4. A.G.
5. Diamond
6. Fat Joe
7. Showbiz

However, he's spit heat on all of the Showbiz & A.G. albums and A.G.'s "The Dirty Version" LP is a damn classic. One.

daddek

Tribe Called Quest "Midnight Marauders" -- i didn't see this on any one's list??!

Freestyle Fellowship "Innercity Griots" -- i didn't see this on any one's list??!

Dilla "Donuts" -- i didn't see this on any one's list??!

on a personal...

Abstract Tribe Unique "South Central Thynk Taynk". It's not the greatest hip hop album but I love it dearly, far more than most others in this thread. But then I feel the same about Eligh "A story of two worlds", which is a very strange, utterly non-classic record.

Last edited:

big satan

HA-DO-KEN!
Ah, that 7 Eyes, 7 Horns (actually by his Scaramanga alias) is the shit.

yeah, totally, "cash flow" probably has the sickest flows of any rap tune i've ever heard. has anyone heard the new scaramanga LP Snake Eyes, it has apparently been released but i can't find it anywhere?

crackerjack

Tribe Called Quest "Midnight Marauders" -- i didn't see this on any one's list??!

Freestyle Fellowship "Innercity Griots" -- i didn't see this on any one's list??!

on a personal...

Abstract Tribe Unique "South Central Thynk Taynk". It's not the greatest hip hop album but I love it dearly, far more than most others in this thread. But then I feel the same about Eligh "A story of two worlds", which is a very strange, utterly non-classic record.

Midnight Marauders would certainly be on mine (along with Tribe's 1st & 2nd if the list was extened to, say, 50)

The others wouldn't be anywhere, except Freestyle's which would be somewhere near the top of my Most Overrated chart.

Immryr

yeah, totally, "cash flow" probably has the sickest flows of any rap tune i've ever heard. has anyone heard the new scaramanga LP Snake Eyes, it has apparently been released but i can't find it anywhere?

i think sandbox automatic has/had it.

daddek

The others wouldn't be anywhere, except Freestyle's which would be somewhere near the top of my Most Overrated chart.

lol, shaadup. It was groundbreaking, influential (for better or for worse) and I genuinely love it. I didn't notice that "To Whom it may concern" made Dart's list, but still I feel "Griots" is the greater album.

Donuts rekindled my love for music, as it did for thousands and thousands of people, for whom it's a modern day classic. Not so many of the albums thus far mentioned hit me in that way. So on my list, it gets a mention.

crackerjack

lol, shaadup. It was groundbreaking, influential (for better or for worse) and I genuinely love it. I didn't notice that "To Whom it may concern" made Dart's list, but still I feel "Griots" is the greater album.

I know, I know, I know. The sheer number of west coast artists who sing its praises is testament to what you say. It just does my 'ead in.

gumdrops

when LL comes up in these lists, i dont think people ever mention mama said knock you out... which is his best album IMO (although hes not *quite* as on form lyrically as he was earlier)

crackerjack

when LL comes up in these lists, i dont think people ever mention mama said knock you out... which is his best album IMO (although hes not *quite* as on form lyrically as he was earlier)

I thought a few people had. It's certainly my fave LL album. In fact it might be my only LL album.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Really?

on a personal...

Do you mean people on Dissensus on in the bloggerverse? All of those albums have been prominent on hip hop writers/bloggers Top 25 lists with the exception of "Donuts". One.

DJ PIMP

Bigger And Deffer is insanely raw/hot. Practically every track destroys.

Some of my favourite beats and scratching ever.

We ain't playin, we came here to get ill
Iller than ill, L L you know what I'm sayin?

DJ PIMP

I would have picked Ice-Ts Power over Rhyme Pays as the better/bigger LP.

Saw him and PE do a show about 15 years ago (rare for NZ (back then)). One man on stage (+ DJ) and he was more compelling than PE + entourage. Great, magnetic performance...

PE was still PE though :cool: