Poisonous Dart's Greatest Hip-Hop LPs

mms

sometimes
agree that by all means should get rated much more. i always thought follow the leader was better than paid in full.

for me paid in full is the best hip hop record ever. it was also one of the first ones i bought.
it's got that lush dubbed out electro-nics aspect, scratching and formidable rhymes. It just shines as the best there was at the time.

mos dan

fact music
is it just me...

...who thinks the line from 'this is why i'm cold' that runs

"i'm cold cos i'm hot
you ain't cos you not"

is the funniest thing in ages? air to rappers who are all word and no play.

dHarry

...no mention of Missy's Supa Dupa Fly? (if you're talking about paradigm-shifters)

Last edited:

mms

sometimes

As for Paid in Full, i like the beginning, but i don't think i ever succeeded in listening to the whole album in one go, i just get bored with it at the end.
really?
i did buy it when it came out though, maybe it's nostalgically stayed with me, it's one of those albums i totally listen to all the way thru, no skipping.

zhao

there are no accidents
the Roots can kiss my conscious ass. why is they no 3-6, UGK, ESG, Ghetto Boys albums on that list? well i know the answer but it's not really a question, more just righteous indignation.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Well AWARE...

the Roots can kiss my conscious ass. why is they no 3-6, UGK, ESG, Ghetto Boys albums on that list? well i know the answer but it's not really a question, more just righteous indignation.

Geto Boys-We Can't Be Stopped is on my Honorable Mentions list and The Three 6 Mafia and UGK has NEVER made anything that could crack the Top 25 (or 50) greatest Hip Hop albums list (although they have made some great material in the past). One.

craner

Beast of Burden
And Dare Iz A Darkside by Redman

A real lost classic, surely? Came out the same week as Tical, if memory serves.

nomos

Administrator
thanks PD. i'm going to give this thread a good read tomorrow. it's funny, a lot of your second tier ones would have been in my top list (cypress hill s/t, low end theory, one for all, ). and 36 chambers would be in my top 3 or 5. jb's done by the forces of nature would be up there too. at the time i think it was overshadowed by nwa and de la's debuts, but the production and MCing have aged much better than either, i think.

good to see at least an honourable mention for the first x-clan album. that one doesn't really get its due. no kmd though? is mr. hood too corny?

illmatic has always been a sore point for me. it's really good, but i was disappointed when it came out, and put off by what seemed to be a decision ahead of time at The Source and elsewhere to canonize it (5 'mics') before having heard it. nas was going to deliver a 'classic', period. but i don't think anything on there touched the 'halftime' 12" or his verses on 'live at the bbq.' to me, illmatic was when his head started to get big and he began to get lazy. it also came out at the same time as snoop's debut which had a similar buzz (and, likewise, i thought 'deep cover' was better than most of doggystyle) but got 4.5 mics in the reviews. i'd take nas over snoop anytime but, in print, it read like a middle finger to the west coast from new york editors wanting to maintain their hegemony.

'step in the arena' would be on my list too. and barely anything after 1995 because i lost interest. i know i missed some things (timbaland, most notably) but dre, jay-z, biggie, etc. did nothing at all for me. oh and biggie smalls is the most overrated rapper ever :D glad to see you didn't have him at the top.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
Was nice to see Capital Punishment there.

I don't hear Pun getting the kudos he deserves outside of a small niche group of people.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Oh yes....

Was nice to see Capital Punishment there.

I don't hear Pun getting the kudos he deserves outside of a small niche group of people.

That album was lyrically and creatively everything I expected "Ready To Die" to be. There was less focus on making hits and and a singlemindedness to make the illest possible tracks imaginable. That dissapeared by the time "Yeah Baby" came out and he was TRYING to make hits and have his album go Platinum.

As for the other LP's Oliver Caner and Polz mentoined...check the covers on my blog:

http://poisonousparagraphs.blogspot.com/

One.

RAISED BY WOLVES

Some favorite albums from the mid to late 90's, a few of which were overlooked:

Cormega- The realness
Smoothe Da Hustla- Once upon a time in america
Outkast- ATLiens
Half-a-mil- Million
Killarmy- Silent weapons for quiet wars
CNN- The war report
Sir Menalik- 7 eyes 7 horns
Big L- Lifestyles Ov da poor and dangerous
Raekwon- Only built 4 cuban links
Do or Die- Picture this

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Capital Punishment fucking rules, it's one of the hiphop albums I can put on and non-hip hop people go 'this is good, what's this?'.

Not a nice guy tho, did you see the Still Not A Player video? I was howling when he pistol whips his girl and then she runs up the stairs and he's too fat to follow her up there. I'm like 'Stay up them stairs girl!'