At what age did you start listening to music?

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I guess it musta been 'Dare' by The Human League which was the first tape that I just cherished, but the importance of music came through Buffalo Gals. 'Wheels of Steel' was around then too, but it was Mclaren being interviewed on TV talking about making music from other records, I think the quote was 'never needing a music instrument again', and after reading up about Phil Oakey and him being violently anti-guitar, that quote just completely sank in. Scratching on my sister's Amstrad all-in-one was difficult though, but Buffalo Gals was definitely my first remix, and that's pretty much informed everything since, I'm still remixing now.

MankyFiver

i remember loving singing nursery rhymes at school and the first record i got when i was about 6 was one of those woolworth nursery rhyme 7"s morning has broken, remember loving gary glitter probably cos of the clothes

i got pretty obsessed quickly, 1st record was one midnight hustle a compilation of chart disco records, black cover with 2 people on front dancing (maybe wearing roller skates)

1st proper band i really fell for was blondie, my parents had friends who had older boys and they used to play me funk and disco records all the time which i liked but i remember them being really disappointed in me when i said i liked brass in pocket

first thing that really really turned my head around was prince, obvious but oh i was obsessed, listened to purple rain constantly on headphones, whenever we went on holiday i would bring a big tape cassette player and lots of tapes off the radio, didnt really speak just had headphones on

i blame music for my psychotic nature, riding horses and all that...

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
I used to know all the words to War Baby. I didnt particulary like it but it was on Charthits 83 and it was easier to listen to the whole thing than mess about fast forwarding etc.

:) There are some albums, that I listened to so much that start to sing the next song after hearing certain tracks.

DJ PIMP

This thread is like confession/introduction at an AA meeting.

Hi, my names Bleep, and I'm a musiholic.

I started on my folks record collection; Beatles, Beegees, Simon & Garfunkel, plus whatever was on the radio/telly or my sisters were listening to, Air Supply, OMD etc, but the first album I bought was Run DMCs Raising Hell when I was 11, and that was the real beginning of my addiction to music.

I have always enjoyed it in some sense... Even though it didn't grasp me musically, my pops classical collection always sounded weird and mysterious and intriguing.

I became aware of music as a social phenom when everyone at school was going nuts singing Joan Jett's I Love Rock'n'Roll, and I didn't have a clue what they were on about.

Lichen

As gifts: Showaddywaddy and "Sounds Like" Simon & Garfunkel!!!

Full-on Madness fan by age 8; posters, dashing to Smiths to buy new releases with contents of piggy bank; the lot. They were great because they sang pop songs about normal life and the lyrics were just right for a youngster to chew on and work out. E.G:

"I'm as honest as the day is long, the longer the night time the less I do wrong"

26 years on and it's still on the tip of my tongue. As is

"Teacher comes to break it up, bang 'im on the 'ead with a plastic cup".

Great band to grow up with, I reckon.

Chef Napalm

Lost in the Supermarket
Hi, my name is John and I'm a vinyl junkie.

I, too, started on my parents record collection: ABBA, Elton John, Beatles, The Kingston Trio :confused:). My brother and I also listened to a large number of Disney Record-of-the-films. I still have the "Fox and the Hound" picture disc I received for my 6th birthday.

My first proper record was Phil Collins' "Hello I Must Be Going" (1982). I was seven. The bile dripping from "I Don't Care Anymore" still blows my mind. It was the first time it occurrd to me that pop music could be about more than puppy love.

IdleRich

IdleRich
For me was definitely parents' records when I was really young (Beatles, Stones, Neil Young and especially those Motown comps), also tapes they had recorded for car journeys.
Some songs I still hear with a "stick" in because they had obviously gone out of the room when it was being recorded and not noticed so that was how it sounded on the tape.
Albatross by Fleetwood Mac always reminds me of leaving home in a good mood with the sun shining because it was the first song on a tape that my parents used to play when we set off on our summer holidays.
Just as many people have said, I used to record the charts every week and also record albums off people, the first things I was into like that were probably the Pet Shop Boys, Guns n Roses and, er, Rick Astley for some reason.
Oh yeah, for some reason Dad had Equinox and Oxygene as well.