At what age did you start listening to music?

zhao

there are no accidents
11 or 12 for me. the "early beatles" double pack cassette given to me by a friend of my dad's... pretty ordinary start. so what went wrong? :)

Immryr

i remember listening to alot of talking heads, tom waits and leonard coen while driving around with my dad and sister. and also playing hide and seek in the dark while listening to das boot, this was probably when i was around sevenish.

tom pr

My sister was thrown out of the house because I used to go around singing Tom Robinson's 'Glad To be Gay' at the top of my voice when I was seven lol.
Me too! Except apart from having a sister or anyone being thrown out of a house. But I used to love Tom Robinson as a kid...

mms

sometimes
my dad bought me pink floyd brick in the wall at about 5, first album i got was prince 1999 from smiths, my friends sister recorded me tour de france cos i liked it,probably not right at the time though, the tracks seemed really long at the time. the tape also had hole in my shoe by neil off the young ones on it too mind. i was performing and practicing music by the age of 8 though.

sounds like Kajagoogoo you're not admitting to then.

Never actually liked one of their records but when Too Shy was number one, my family stayed at the same hotel as them when we were on holiday in Cornwall and they were on tour. It was VERY exciting to see real popstars with funny hair. I told people they were my favourite band but actually they weren't.

I did buy Rock Me Amadeus which was pretty awful, and quite a few Level 42 records which is about the most uncool thing you can admit to ever having liked these days....

mms

sometimes
Never actually liked one of their records but when Too Shy was number one, my family stayed at the same hotel as them when we were on holiday in Cornwall and they were on tour. It was VERY exciting to see real popstars with funny hair. I told people they were my favourite band but actually they weren't.

I did buy Rock Me Amadeus which was pretty awful, and quite a few Level 42 records which is about the most uncool thing you can admit to ever having liked these days....

i bought that falco album , and i bought the zigue zigue sputnik album!
there is actually quite a great 12" mix of too shy' - the 'midnight mix', mixed by the guy who wrote madonna's first track 'everybody', quite Detroity.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
there is actually quite a great 12" mix of too shy' - the 'midnight mix', mixed by the guy who wrote madonna's first track 'everybody', quite Detroity.

'Ooh To Be Ah' was number 40, today, in 1983. Isn't that a fucking creepy fact.

Tom Robinson

I used to know all the words to War Baby. I didnt particulary like it but it was on Charthits 83 and it was easier to listen to the whole thing than mess about fast forwarding etc.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I used to know all the words to War Baby. I didnt particulary like it but it was on Charthits 83 and it was easier to listen to the whole thing than mess about fast forwarding etc.

I've been trying to remember it, but it's totally gone, thank god. It was number 4 for ages, innit.

Chris

fractured oscillations
Grew up on psych and folk as a child, which I listened to obsessively. Got into soul and funk in third and fourth grade (strange kid I guess). Then into metal at about age 11. Back into psychedelia at about 14, then rave shortly after... into jungle, and finally just threw up my hands and started going nuts with all styles of music...

swears

preppy-kei
I hated music up to the age of 15. Refused to listen to any of it, argued vociferously against its ability to communicate anything...

So what changed your mind then?

Not just a question for Gek but for anyone. What record actually made you think music was "important" in some way? As anti-rock n roll as I am now, I've got to admit that Nevermind hit me like a ton of bricks when I was eleven. First electronic tune: probably "Da Funk" by Daft Punk, it opened up a whole other way of listening to music for me. I liked a couple of of pop-rave hits like "Swamp Thing" or "No Limits" but that one rewired my circuits totally.

Sorry but I actually loathe that kind of thing.
I can detect no emotion in it, do you think the guys making it were thinking of anything except the money?
Just my taste v yours but there you go.

@swears
I knew music was important when my mum played me "The Hippy Hippy Shake" by Typhoons (Woolworths covers band) and "King Creole" by Elvis Presley aged about 3 or 4. I checked this week and my mum still has the records. I totally loved dancing to them, going crazy.

As far as playing a record over and over and listening hard, I guess it was Tour De France and then Man Machine (yes I know I bought them in the wrong order but I was only 5 when Man Machine came out.... and when I was 10 it was Nice Price £2.99!!)

Another funny memory - going into school the day after Duran Duran were on TOTP with "the reflex" and everyone going "fle-fle-flex!" because none of us had heard edits before, it was totally new and weird. "Close To The Edit" the following year was a total headfuck, and then "19"...... sounds that nobody had heard before.
I wonder if moments like that will come again in electronic sound?

Gabba Flamenco Crossover

High Sierra Skullfuck
This is a great thread.

I used to listen to my folk's stuff when I was very small, and I suppose I got into music for myself around 10 ish. Don't remember buying much but I used to tape the charts and stuff. Also listened to John Peel a lot a night when I was supposed to be asleep.

The first movement that meant something to me was Madchester. I grew up in Cheshire, and suddenly there were people in the charts who looked and spoke like people around town. That was a revelation. First gig I went to was some one day festival in Manchester where the Mondays headlined - I was 14.

My mate bought Nation Of Millions when I was twelve, we used to listen to that over and over again. It was like contraband: we were terrified of it being discovered by our parents and we used to take turns hiding it at each others houses to spread the risk.

I got caught trying to scratch on the family hifi aged about 10 after seeing an article about hip hop DJs on some kids programme. When I explained what I was trying to do and why, my Dad offered the opinion that they were 'bloody vandals' and banned me from using the hifi for about a month.

outraygeous

i used to play my parents records when i was 3, my dad used to make like mix tapes for partys but playing tracks and then puttin in like a joke off a comedy record and move onto the next track.

i started getting my own vinyls, once a week when we used to get our benefits, my mum would let me get 1 7''. i used to pick them by the colour of the label and the patterns. Picture dics were always a winner for me too.

i used to have to stand on a chair to reach our turntable, i learnt about 45, 33 and those super 78 records.

i also learnt from a young age that heaters and vinyls do not mix. This was quite upsetting for me as a young child.

i still have most of my old 7s, alot of the cases are missin, but on some, there is my mothers writing of my name one them and on some vinyls i have had a blast at writing my name.

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
About 4, I had a couple of story 7 inches that ran at 78rpm - still have them. I really got into flim themes, so I'd bug my parents for those, along with the ex-juke box singles my dad would bring home from the pub.

mms

sometimes
Sorry but I actually loathe that kind of thing.
I can detect no emotion in it, do you think the guys making it were thinking of anything except the money?
Just my taste v yours but there you go.

@Swears
I knew music was important when my mum played me "The Hippy Hippy Shake" by Typhoons (Woolworths covers band) and "King Creole" by Elvis Presley aged about 3 or 4. I checked this week and my mum still has the records. I totally loved dancing to them, going crazy.

As far as playing a record over and over and listening hard, I guess it was Tour De France and then Man Machine (yes I know I bought them in the wrong order but I was only 5 when Man Machine came out.... and when I was 10 it was Nice Price £2.99!!)

Another funny memory - going into school the day after Duran Duran were on TOTP with "the reflex" and everyone going "fle-fle-flex!" because none of us had heard edits before, it was totally new and weird. "Close To The Edit" the following year was a total headfuck, and then "19"...... sounds that nobody had heard before.
I wonder if moments like that will come again in electronic sound?

yeah dancing and also pop videos came into it, i guess the reason brick in the wall was my first single was cos the video was totally weird and disturbing and i was fascinated and a bit scared by it, also the sentiment...
Also yes, edits and synths so the synth line from axel f etc were well popular at junior school, breakdancing to 3rd generation electro tapes, with fingerless gloves on.. 19 was especially popular and there were endless debates about the lyrics and video. Futuristic things i guess.

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
It's also strange how all the music heads never throw anything away, why do I keep records that I've not played for 20yrs?