Where should I eat in London?

luka

east ham forest gate are two different places although green st runs between the two so presumably you are talking about green st when you say the high st. there was a place i used to go to on green st where i always used to see bejamin zepaniah eating. i dont think that matches your description though. there is a place called amabla which is not a resteraunt and doesnt fit your description but needs to be mentioned for sweets and snacks specifically the potato wadas (wadi?) which are incredible. the factory is the foul smlling place you can see from the greeenway as you walk from stratford high st towards bow. you will see the indians in white hygine wear and hair nets smoking fags on the fire escape. i heard theres a great new place on green st but i didnt bother getting the name cos i livee thousands of miles away. green st is a more interesting place than high st north but the quality of the food is better on high st north.

haji

lala
(this thread made me hungry, so i had to go off to the algerian caravan in brixton market (doesnt have much web presence as it is literally a caravan but i'd highly highly highly recommend; merguez/liver/chicken/kofte sandwich cooked from fresh in front of your nose stuffed in a baguette with chips, harissa, salata ... or beans soup, or tajine du jour, all cheap and delicious) they were closed for prayers unfortunately :rolleyes:)

sorry to interrupt the convo!
as we were saying
east ham forest gate are two different places although green st runs between the two so presumably you are talking about green st when you say the high st.
yes indeed

there was a place i used to go to on green st where i always used to see bejamin zepaniah eating. i dont think that matches your description though.
maybe

there is a place called amabla which is not a resteraunt and doesnt fit your description but needs to be mentioned for sweets and snacks specifically the potato wadas (wadi?) which are incredible.
ambala have franchises all over - e.g. turnpike lane, hounslow, http://www.ambalafoods.com/info/Stores.html
very fantastic barfi etc....

the factory is the foul smlling place you can see from the greeenway as you walk from stratford high st towards bow. you will see the indians in white hygine wear and hair nets smoking fags on the fire escape. i heard theres a great new place on green st but i didnt bother getting the name cos i livee thousands of miles away. green st is a more interesting place than high st north but the quality of the food is better on high st north.
links for the map please star - needs more east!

4linehaiku

Repetitive
id b grateful if somone could add taste of india to the map. its on high st north which is regarded as the best spot for south indian food in london.
http://www.restauranttasteofindia.co.uk/
i did mention it on the thread its not like im just saying it now. im sur thai garden on globe street in bethnal deserves a mention too. not sure how 'thai' it is but i do know its vry good food.

I've added Taste of India (their website is astonishing by the way).
Can't seem to find Sur Tai Garden though.

hucks

Your Message Here
I've added Taste of India (their website is astonishing by the way).
Can't seem to find Sur Tai Garden though.

That website was fucking brilliant.

I've decided not to add to the map the recommendation I made on the thread cos the last time I went there there was a massive hole in the ceiling and the food was shit. Pretty sad.

Last edited:

luka

oh thats why i should take more care when typing. THAI GARDEN. its on globe rd in bethnal green. we talked about it early on in the thread. i always liked it although havent been there for 5 years.

S

simon silverdollar

i went to Koya the other day, the Udon noodle place on frith st. highly recommended - particularly the cold udon with miso, with a seaweed salad. lovely and refreshing. And the noodles are really springy and fresh, not at all boring carbs.

and they make the noodles with their feet...which is apparently the traditional way to do it i.e. they're not just being kinky.

also, the Georgian cafe on Balham Hill is excellent, particularly the traditional breakfast (can't remember what it's called), of meatballs in a spicy tomato sauce -lots of coriander- with beaten egg folded in. that is MIGHTY - and you get a free cup of tea

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Any ideas on this Tea? Am moving to Haringay, sounds like a good place to check out :)

As far as I remember it was on the corner of Roseberry Gardens - where I lived for three years as a undergrad, as it happens - on the east side of the Ladder. Haven't been there for a while but it was really good, so if there's any justice in the world it'll still be open and doing a roaring trade.

viktorvaughn

Cribbed from my blog if any use for food map.

Jai Krishna - if you live in London and like food and haven't been here then check yourself. It's essential. Cheap, pure veg menu and used to feel like you were sat in somebody's front room having a curry and looking out onto Storud Green Rd. Now slightly done up but the prices don't seem to have risen and you can pick up a beer from the nice chap in the offy over the road to bring in and drink. Ten minutes walk from Finny P tube.

Curry & Rice on Whitecross St is a true lunchtime gem. Canteen, home-style Indian food. You can get a good lamb biryini for five quid with gravy, shredded salad, raita and chilli sauce. The amount of rice is a bit OTT for lunch and it isn't packed with huge chunks of meat but I don't think you really need it in the middle of the day and the flavours are spot on. It's got some heat in it and big bits of cinnamon. The descriptions of the meat curries don't really get beyond 'lamb' and 'chicken' but you can get rice and channa for three pounds and rice with two veg curries for four. Also available is the underrated egg curry which is nice to see. All good hangover busters.

Spice & Grill in Clapton is a similar canteen type place. I've only had a samosa on the hoof but the curries look good and tasty.

Silk Road, Camberwell - ok maybe it's not that hidden if you read many food blogs but believe the hype, this Xinjiang restaurant is amazing. Their medium plate chicken is going down as the best thing I ate in 2010. A massive pot of savoury liquor - red-brown and with aromatic anise steam rolling off it. The meat is in there on the bone as it some veg and chilli but it's really the flavour of the stock that is so incredible. When you are most of the way through some gummy noodles made in the back are introduced to finish off with the liquid. Cheap too (bit of a theme emerging here!).

Cafe East does the business in proper Vietnamese style worthy of Kingsland Road's top tier in the bizarre surrounding of Surrey Quays leisure park.

Maltings Cafe is the epitome of a modestly sized cafe doing a small menu of food extremely well and at good prices. I had a delicious sliced onglet with caponata for lunch for eight pounds! Respect due, more places should be like this. Big sister Zucca also good.

Railroad on Morning Lane in Hackney deserve a shout for their baked eggs. Good addition to Hackney Central area for when curry club at 'Spoons ain't going to do it.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Great work there, VV.

Sounds like the meze wing of Antepiler...

Ha, nice use of 'wing' there, goes well with the general factionalism of Kurdish-Turkish radical politics - in my UG days you couldn't walk three paces down the Lanes without spotting some MLKP agitprop or a poster calling for the release of Ocalan. I'm sure still just the same.

Just looked it up online - yeah, that's the one. I should go back to Harringay at some point to stock up on groceries and amazing pastries, could stop for lunch in Antepiler...Dissensus day-time foodie meet-up, anyone? :)

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Cribbed from my blog if any use for food map.

Jai Krishna - if you live in London and like food and haven't been here then check yourself. It's essential. Cheap, pure veg menu and used to feel like you were sat in somebody's front room having a curry and looking out onto Storud Green Rd. Now slightly done up but the prices don't seem to have risen and you can pick up a beer from the nice chap in the offy over the road to bring in and drink. Ten minutes walk from Finny P tube.

Curry & Rice on Whitecross St is a true lunchtime gem. Canteen, home-style Indian food. You can get a good lamb biryini for five quid with gravy, shredded salad, raita and chilli sauce. The amount of rice is a bit OTT for lunch and it isn't packed with huge chunks of meat but I don't think you really need it in the middle of the day and the flavours are spot on. It's got some heat in it and big bits of cinnamon. The descriptions of the meat curries don't really get beyond 'lamb' and 'chicken' but you can get rice and channa for three pounds and rice with two veg curries for four. Also available is the underrated egg curry which is nice to see. All good hangover busters.

Spice & Grill in Clapton is a similar canteen type place. I've only had a samosa on the hoof but the curries look good and tasty.

Silk Road, Camberwell - ok maybe it's not that hidden if you read many food blogs but believe the hype, this Xinjiang restaurant is amazing. Their medium plate chicken is going down as the best thing I ate in 2010. A massive pot of savoury liquor - red-brown and with aromatic anise steam rolling off it. The meat is in there on the bone as it some veg and chilli but it's really the flavour of the stock that is so incredible. When you are most of the way through some gummy noodles made in the back are introduced to finish off with the liquid. Cheap too (bit of a theme emerging here!).

Cafe East does the business in proper Vietnamese style worthy of Kingsland Road's top tier in the bizarre surrounding of Surrey Quays leisure park.

Maltings Cafe is the epitome of a modestly sized cafe doing a small menu of food extremely well and at good prices. I had a delicious sliced onglet with caponata for lunch for eight pounds! Respect due, more places should be like this. Big sister Zucca also good.

Railroad on Morning Lane in Hackney deserve a shout for their baked eggs. Good addition to Hackney Central area for when curry club at 'Spoons ain't going to do it.

brilliant stuff! i've said it before, but if chinese food does it for you, definitely go to chili coola nd have sea spicy aubergine. i've had lots of stuff at silk Road, and I'd say (personal opinion obv) that that dish tops the lot.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Great work there, VV.

Ha, nice use of 'wing' there, goes well with the general factionalism of Kurdish-Turkish radical politics - in my UG days you couldn't move walk paces down the Lanes without spotting some MLKP agitprop or a poster calling for the release of Ocalan. I'm sure still just the same.

Just looked it up online - yeah, that's the one. I should go back to Harringay at some point to stock up on groceries and amazing pastries, could stop for lunch in Antepiler...Dissensus day-time foodie meet-up, anyone? :)

def up for this, am based in Haringay now and keen to try more stuff than I have so far...

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Not sure if I'd recommend these over and above others, but have been checking out some more Sichuan/Hunan places -

Sichuan Folk, Hanbury Street, Brick Lane

http://www.sichuan-folk.co.uk/

is interesting because it features the chef who used to do Bar Shu when it first opened, when it was getting praised all over the place. It's kinda high-Sichuan, and is toned down from my favourites New China on Gerrard Street - ridiculously hot, just stupidly hot - and Royal Palace in Surrey Quays which is just amazing. But it's interesting, the hotpot is really good value and it's a good take on the palette. It's not authentic, it doesn't taste anything like food in Cheng Du but it's definitely good.

So then after than we went to Ba Shan,

http://www.timeout.com/london/restaurants/venue/2:21319/ba-shan

which is the Hunan version of Ba Shu, which was subtle, clean and not too toned down. I was surprised as I'm not a fan of Ba Shu or Baozi Inn. It's better than either of those two. Good place to take your mum for lunch. She said she enjoyed it anyway.

And second the aubergine at Chilli Cool but can't remember what else I had there cos I was really drunk.

viktorvaughn

Hi all

Good to get the Szechuan talk going! I'm well into it. Interesting to hear that MisterSloane, very jealous of you having been to Chengdu! Also not heard of New China on Gerrard Street - ridiculously hot, just stupidly hot - and Royal Palace in Surrey Quays, so will check them out. Are they pure Szechuan or mix of stuff?

Firstly there is an amazing blog of a lady who lives in Chengdu (Szechuan capital) - Eat and Drink Chengdu.

Places-wise I've tried

Chilli Cool (The business, so nice. Not had the aubergine dish Baboon but will try asap. Gung Pao chicken and fish slice is spicy oil amazing)
Red Bar (Bethnal Green Rd, ate pigs blood hotpot in the windowless karaoke bit downstairs, slightly surreal)
Sichuan Folk (Really nice apart from dish, not very spicy).
Gourmet San (Seemed pretty authentic to me but no real marker. First one I wever went to so got soft spot for it and usually really nice. My fae rendition of beef in spicy oil is here)
Golden Day (Hunan - Was ok)
Silk Road (Xinjiang - Amazing IMO. Everything was so spot on, probs my top meal of whole of 2010)

Did a feast for 11 people as well!

I've built up a personal map with about 200 places colour coded by areas of hte world and star-rated on but it's got stuff about when and I went and with who on it so I'll try and copy it if possible and remove the personal stuff then link that copy on here so you lot don't have to duplicate stuff, and make it open to all.