Skream

swears

preppy-kei
I think the beef with presets is that people associate them with an idea of a bland producer working in a specific genre churning out cliched tunes that sound like everything else (like '99 trance, for instance) but if you're using different presets than everybody else, then how is that different than using non-standard, imaginative samples? And everybody tweaks these elements at least a bit in their tracks. I think those sample CDs you get are 99% crap though, but there could be some good ones out there.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Slagging off Skream for using presets is obviously nonsense - as if he hasn't invented vast areas of musical exploration already. And 2D is probably very innovative anyway. Ref. the Todd Terry thread.

I think you can make a genius record, and not be a genius yourself. Cf the Troggs, Wild Thing.

BTW - you can dance to architecture, and I've done it!

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
For some reason this issue has annoyed me - which is odd because I've been a huge fan of sampling since the early 80s and I really like 2D as well. I also own quite a few Skream records.

I think swears is correct about why people have issues with presets. There's also that thing about how much 'effort' it took to do.

But elgato - are you seriously asking if 2D is a masterpiece? Get a grip!!!!!! :D It's not a masterpiece - it's a tinkly little tune that goes blip blip blop and I'm sure Skream would be the first to say so.

Obviously producers / composers have no obligation to anyone with regard to how they make their music, especially so if the track in question is not on release. I also see no artistic demerit in using samples or presets. I think I'd better just state that for the record.

I will say though (and this doesn't relate to Skream so maybe a new thread is called for - though it's an old and circular discussion really) that sometimes sampling large chunks of other's songs can come close to being something like 'passing off'. Like finding out that Daft Punk's 'genius' song "Harder, Faster, Better, Longer" is largely a remix of an old funk tune. That borders on being dishonest I think, although I'm sure it hasn't done Edwin Birdsong's career or bank account much harm. http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=180189364

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Within dubstep, "2D" is a masterpiece... it matters little whether he used a preset or not, as most people here are sensibly in agreement (of course, if it is a brilliant sounding pre-set, why not use it? The simple truth is that most pre-sets, as anyone who has ever used a synth themselves will attest, are absolute wank, and hence their reputation as being the resort of the uncreative)- it is rather how it pushes and twists the boundaries of what dubstep-as-genre is accepted as being. The fact that it sounds radically different to all previous dubstep, its hyper-plastic frenetic glitch synthetics positing a new horizon of what can be termed within the genre, and that it is not only accepted as being "within dubstep" but is lauded... that alone makes it a masterpiece. This is the first truly essential Skream tune since "Request Line", which similarly stepped outside the framework of the emerging dubstep genericity.

Last edited:

DJ PIMP

On the DOA production forum the question of presets or sampling other producers has come up on numerous occasions. The point I've taken from the discussions is that the people moaning about it are generally small-time or unsigned producers.

leamas

Someone recently gave me the jungle warfare sample cds. They came out around 94/95, and you can recognize the samples on almost every one of my favourite dnb tunes. Full Cycle, V Recordings, Reprazent would not have happened without them. Loads of Dillinja's pads are from there. I don't think it takes away from the fact they are heavy tunes. It's just a reality check about how well most big producers know their way round a studio.

STN

sou'wester

I think you can make a genius record, and not be a genius yourself. Cf the Troggs, Wild Thing.

'A Girl Like You' is a wicked tune! Ba ba ba ba baaaaaaaaaaaa ba ba ba ba.

This is probably completely apocryphal and bandied around by Mojo bores (of the sort who might describe 'A Girl Like You' by The Troggs as 'a wicked tune', I admit), but wasn't Sleng Teng built round a keyboard preset? If it's true, I think that's everything you need to know really.

swears

preppy-kei
but wasn't Sleng Teng built round a keyboard preset? If it's true, I think that's everything you need to know really.

Yes, an old casio preset. But actually using a completely electronic backing on a reggae record was a totally fresh idea in itself.

john eden

male pale and stale
Yes, an old casio preset. But actually using a completely electronic backing on a reggae record was a totally fresh idea in itself.

Except it's not a completely electronic backing and computerised elements had appeared in tunes like Sugar Minnot's "Herbman Hustling" and Paul Blake and The Bloodfire Posse's "Rub a Dub Soldier", yes. :p

swears

preppy-kei
eden:
Well, you would know more about this than me. It sounds totally electronic, what live instruments are on it?

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Except it's not a completely electronic backing and computerised elements had appeared in tunes like Sugar Minnot's "Herbman Hustling" and Paul Blake and The Bloodfire Posse's "Rub a Dub Soldier", yes. :p

Oh that woke me up. "herb a is a herb man hustlin, bright and early in the mornin". Gotta dig that out now!

UFO over easy

online mahjong
true genius is ineffable, ultimately. that's why writing about music amounts to striving for an unattainable goal ('like dancing about sculpture' or whatever the quote is).

funny you say that - I went to see skream give a talk in leeds as part of the red bull music academy's attempts to get new applicants, and one of the interesting things he said, in response to the interviewer asking where he wants to take his sound, was that he 'wanted to make music he didn't know he wanted to make yet'... as he's already sort of achieved the goals he had when he started making this music, he wants to move in a direction he hasn't consciously thought about yet, as it's the only avenue left.

Freakaholic

not just an addiction
In Boomkat's newest newsletter, they say the following:

"As the dubstep scene has become diluted with ripoff digiplod and borestep..."

referencing Skream's work on Ringo as the opposite.

Some interesting subgenres there. I, for one, think digiplod sounds kinda interesting. Some sort of swamplike, plodding dub with plenty of analog squelches....

john eden

male pale and stale
eden:
Well, you would know more about this than me. It sounds totally electronic, what live instruments are on it?

I actually can't remember, damn!

Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me and it is actually all electronic but not all done on a casiotone (as was a common myth).

It was still a quantum leap, in terms of its impact tho, which is the key thing...

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Let's not forget Trio and their VL-TONE.

Also goes out to the Yamaha TX81Z's 'Lately Bass' and a million house and techno tunes.

And larging up the Roland Alpha Juno-2's 'WhatThe?' for introducing hoovers to the dance.

UFO over easy

online mahjong

Ah, they're obviously talking about all those releases they reviewed last month as "100% ESSENTIAL FOR ANY SELF RESPECTING DUBSTEP FAN!!" or "HUGE DANCEFLOOR ANTHEM!"?

:D

Boomkat are kings of the sweeping generalisation.

swears

preppy-kei
UFO:
Yeah, what I've always found interesting about the boomkat catalogue entries is that they obviously have to big up the records in order to sell them. But this begs the question, "What are they so great in comparison to?" and the answer is "Other records that we sell as well in this genre." So there's this little paradox showing up their whole fake review style as gormless hype.
What's strange as well is how now and again (very rarely) they'll slag off a release picked almost at random, just to try and show some kind of objectivity. Are these records they wouldn't be able to shift anyway?

Good online shop apart from that tho. ;)

mms

sometimes

which they sponsor, market and sell thru their baked goods distribution and boomkat shop, honestly, they've put some stinkers thru various labels they've funded themselves.
But then they do p and d with tectonic and pinch is a good a and r for dubstep.
Anyway just listening to burials new ep makes me forget about all that.

Last edited:

UFO over easy

online mahjong
which they sponsor, market and sell thru their baked goods distribution and boomkat shop, honestly, they've put some stinkers thru various labels they've funded themselves.

hahahah, I didn't realise they did baked goods... that makes it even funnier :D