lilly allen with the specials at glastonbury

petergunn

plywood violin
i love the logan=lilly turn this thread has taken.

amy winehouse is not fit. a colleague of mine fancies her. that i really dont get.

new amy winehouse, i can't get with, as she looks like a crackhead... old amy, however, looks like R. Crumb's Devil Girl and i can get behind that...

winehouse270706_228x310.jpg

_40046292_amy_winehouse_arr_300pa.jpg

c_rcrumb.jpg

MrNaturalDevilGirl.jpg

elgato

I just dont know
amy winehouse is a dan, she was on never mind the buzzcocks last night and she came off as SUCH a joker. abstract humour, sharp, playful and also completely unafraid to speak her mind. there was (as far as i could see) no pretense or self-consciousness. they were all rinsing this old guy on that line-up thing and she told them to shut up (in no uncertain or jovial terms) and gave the guy a hug! heavy

so yeh, having seen that i rate that shes very attractive. her hair is absolutely amazing too

STN

sou'wester
Re The English Beat thing, they changed their name to avoid confusion because there was an American group in the 80s called The Beat, who are known as The Paul Collins Beat over here (though I think they may then have adopted the name in the States too).

Last edited:

john eden

male pale and stale
I noticed that I was looking quite "ungilded" this morning when I happened to gaze upon my reflection in the lift.

dHarry

The sexism/misogyny around here beggars belief. Is it a lads-together routine that doesn't really impinge on your real life, or do people really think like this? It's hard to believe that people can be so easily manipulated by the most nauseating lowest common denominator magazine culture into making these ludicrous judgements and comparisons. Do you also eat at MacDonalds, buy Robbie Williams and Coldplay CDs at Tesco's and do whatever else advertising and the media tell you to do, or is this restricted to gender?

swears

preppy-kei
The sexism/misogyny around here beggars belief.

Have you ever heard women talk about men's bodies when they think we're not listening?
Or even other women's looks. Way harsher than "Lily is fit/no she's not."

Last edited:

john eden

male pale and stale
The sexism/misogyny around here beggars belief. Is it a lads-together routine that doesn't really impinge on your real life, or do people really think like this? It's hard to believe that people can be so easily manipulated by the most nauseating lowest common denominator magazine culture into making these ludicrous judgements and comparisons. Do you also eat at MacDonalds, buy Robbie Williams and Coldplay CDs at Tesco's and do whatever else advertising and the media tell you to do, or is this restricted to gender?

Dunno if misogyny is better or worse than cultural elitism, though?

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo

Do you have to re-adjust the positioning of the stick up your arse every morning when you wake up, or is it just weekly?

Bitch looks like Mike Skinner in a wig. I don't need Heat magazine to tell me that. Although I probably wouldn't be as cutting if she wasn't fake as arseholes though.

DannyL

Wild Horses
To the "she is butters" contingent:

Please post a photo of yourself, so we all can run a comparison.

I don't like her music at all, but judging her on her looks is daft and sexist innit.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
Oh shit, a real woman. I think I'm going to be sick.

hahaha, this is totally one of my pet peeves. because obviously to be a 'real' woman you have to be ugly. :rolleyes:

I have many pretty female friends who, I can assure you, are all real women. I hope they're real anyway, otherwise I've been quite seriously misled for many years.

DannyL said:
I don't like her music at all, but judging her on her looks is daft and sexist innit.

Well, I think the reason most people are only commenting on her looks is because her appearance is far more interesting than her music. If she was a massively gifted musician, I doubt this thread would be here.

Last edited:

dHarry

Dunno if misogyny is better or worse than cultural elitism, though?
Cultural elitism? Come on, seriously - do you buy your music off the shelf in Tescos and go out and buy whatever mainstream advertising flashes at you on the telly? Isn't this Dissensus? :confused: I thought that folk around here were a bit more intelligent and discerning than this. They are about music - why not about sex/gender?

And yes, I know women judge men's physical appearance too. But there's an ugly tone of misogyny to all this "question the sexuality of anyone who fancied her/typical ugly British chick/this photo is unfair 'cos she's ungilded/bitch looks like Skinner".

It probably comes across as uptight/pc, but it genuinely upsets me, the same way racism does (though they're not the same thing).

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
shit doesn't have to be serious all the time...the discussion was fairly light hearted. No one is advocating sexism, and to find it implicated in the above discussion is a tad over sensitive in my view.

dHarry

hahaha, this is totally one of my pet peeves. because obviously to be a 'real' woman you have to be ugly. :rolleyes:

I have many pretty female friends who I can assure you, are all real women. I hope they're real anyway, otherwise I've been quite seriously misled for many years.
- you're really not getting the point: it's nothing to do with real=not attractive, it's that a woman is a real person, whether or not she happens to fall inside or out of someone's standards of attractiveness. The implication of the "ungilded" Lily pic is supposed to be that we are all supposed to uniformly find her unattractive, and that this somehow matters.

UFO said:
Well, I think the reason most people are only commenting on her looks is because her appearance is far more interesting than her music. If she was a massively gifted musician, I doubt this thread would be here.
- there's definitely something to this :)

john eden

male pale and stale
Cultural elitism? Come on, seriously - do you buy your music off the shelf in Tescos and go out and buy whatever mainstream advertising flashes at you on the telly? Isn't this Dissensus? :confused: I thought that folk around here were a bit more intelligent and discerning than this. They are about music - why not about sex/gender?

And yes, I know women judge men's physical appearance too. But there's an ugly tone of misogyny to all this "question the sexuality of anyone who fancied her/typical ugly British chick/this photo is unfair 'cos she's ungilded/bitch looks like Skinner".

It probably comes across as uptight/pc, but it genuinely upsets me, the same way racism does (though they're not the same thing).

My musical tastes are influenced by things like radio and advertising. The fact that the advertising is usually not on primetime tv is an irrelevance I think.

It is a disgusting myth that because people buy music they have seen plugged in The Wire they are more "individual" and therefore better people than those who buy music they see on the shelves in tesco.

martin

----

Yeah, but Logan's just stewing because he looks like her.

gumdrops

whats wrong with discussing the attractiveness of a female artist anyway? if lilly didnt want her appearance commented on then she shouldnt issue any photos and should stop appearing on the cover of all her cds. its not like people arent discussing her musical merits (or lack of) too.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
- you're really not getting the point: it's nothing to do with real=not attractive, it's that a woman is a real person, whether or not she happens to fall inside or out of someone's standards of attractiveness

I agree, but that's not what was implied by Martin. What I read from his post was that somehow, a picture of Lily looking rough is more real than a picture of her looking good.

It's like another facet of the cultural elitism thing also being discussed - you have shit taste in music because you don't buy obscure stuff; you're being manipulated by the media blah blah... I'm cool because I like weird things no one else likes. You have boring, conventional taste in women; I like uggos, because I'm interesting...