lilly allen with the specials at glastonbury

DannyL

Wild Horses
and to find it implicated in the above discussion is a tad over sensitive in my view.

Hmmm, bu isn't that the way sexism and things like that work though? They don't always exist in big cultural battles and so forth, they're caught up in the smalll events of our lives. Whether you think it's worth questioning every instance of that is another matter, but just because something is pretty lighthearted or trival doesn't mean there isn't something a bit sexist implied in the attitudes therein.

Anyway - what about some photos? I ask because out of the few Dissenoids I've met - all blokes unsurprisngly - well, we'd be lucky if a 22 year old women who looked like Lily Allen would piss on us if we were collectively on fire.

swears

preppy-kei
I think it's good that an average looking girl can be a popstar, but the fact that her music is so average as well is what irks me.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
amy winehouse is a dan, she was on never mind the buzzcocks last night and she came off as SUCH a joker. abstract humour, sharp, playful and also completely unafraid to speak her mind. there was (as far as i could see) no pretense or self-consciousness. they were all rinsing this old guy on that line-up thing and she told them to shut up (in no uncertain or jovial terms) and gave the guy a hug! heavy

Really? I think she was embarrassing herself, to the point of being embarrassing to watch.
Being a joker is one thing, being a joke is quite another.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Do you also eat at MacDonalds, buy Robbie Williams and Coldplay CDs at Tesco's and do whatever else advertising and the media tell you to do, or is this restricted to gender?

Go on, call us all 'sheeple', that'd really make my day. :)

dHarry

My musical tastes are influenced by things like radio and advertising. The fact that the advertising is usually not on primetime tv is an irrelevance I think.

It is a disgusting myth that because people buy music they have seen plugged in The Wire they are more "individual" and therefore better people than those who buy music they see on the shelves in tesco.

You're sounding a bit uptight now - maybe it's catching ;)

But that's not a myth I espouse. And I don't read The Wire regularly (an occasional flick in the newsagents does just fine). I just try to be intelligent and discerning (like most people around here?) and reject overt manipulation, appeals to the lowest common denominator, and lack of skill, passion or ambition. That often means switching off Kaiser Chiefs Ruby Ruby Ruby (what a terrible song, even as a basic melody/hook - Riot was at least catchy and humourous) in a rage, or turning up Rihanna's Umbrella (wow - able to turn even terrible Dolores Cranberry-isms into a fierce pop triumph) on daytime radio as much as searching out interesting obscurities.

dHarry

Hmmm, bu isn't that the way sexism and things like that work though? They don't always exist in big cultural battles and so forth, they're caught up in the smalll events of our lives. Whether you think it's worth questioning every instance of that is another matter, but just because something is pretty lighthearted or trival doesn't mean there isn't something a bit sexist implied in the attitudes therein.

True.

Anyway - what about some photos? I ask because out of the few Dissenoids I've met - all blokes unsurprisngly - well, we'd be lucky if a 22 year old women who looked like Lily Allen would piss on us if we were collectively on fire.

:D

S

simon silverdollar

on a (very slightly) related note, a friend was telling me last night that he once asked his girlfriend if she liked charles mingus. she looked a bit surprised so he said, 'you know; 'mingus mingus mingus mingus'? (a big charles mingus album)

she looked horrified.

she'd misheard him and thought he'd said: 'do you like child mingers? you know; mingers mingers mingers mingers mingers?'

anyway.

john eden

male pale and stale
You're sounding a bit uptight now - maybe it's catching ;)

But that's not a myth I espouse. And I don't read The Wire regularly (an occasional flick in the newsagents does just fine). I just try to be intelligent and discerning (like most people around here?) and reject overt manipulation, appeals to the lowest common denominator, and lack of skill, passion or ambition. That often means switching off Kaiser Chiefs Ruby Ruby Ruby (what a terrible song, even as a basic melody/hook - Riot was at least catchy and humourous) in a rage, or turning up Rihanna's Umbrella (wow - able to turn even terrible Dolores Cranberry-isms into a fierce pop triumph) on daytime radio as much as searching out interesting obscurities.

It's only music tho. Despite people thinking that is a fair reflection of people's identities and character it is just one more consumer choice offered people by an increasingly fragmented market.

It's a complete non-starter to suggest it has parallels with "intelligence" or whatever. Like you can judge someone on the basis of whether they like "Ruby Ruby Ruby" OR "Umbrella".

elgato

I just dont know
Really? I think she was embarrassing herself, to the point of being embarrassing to watch.
Being a joker is one thing, being a joke is quite another.

i only saw the last half, but i thought she was so jokes! she didnt give a fuck, so even if sometimes she was 'the joke', she becomes the joker (in my book). she consistently made me laugh, primarily intentionally, and she dominated the other contestants. to me she came across as this open, vivid, interesting, volatile, but ultimately lovely girl, all the other personalities on screen seemed very dull and standard in comparison, even amstell

what did she do to embarass herself? other than being slightly (understandably) agitated when he started making very obvious and unimaginative cracks about drug and drink problems

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
That is why I love Simon Anstell.

And although Amy Winehouse realy is a lovely lady who is open to the point of almost evoking sympathy due to her vulnerability, it is mainly fueled by the fact she pours copious amounts of drugs and drink into her system and is quite clearly mentally unstable. And if you cannot make fun of that when the person wears it on their sleeve so much, then I don't see the point in comedy.

gumdrops

some of the most intelligent (academically at least) people i know have awful taste in music. like, really bad. i dont think liking crap like the kaisers says anything about someone other than that they have poor musical taste.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Well yeah, the others all going "BOOZE, LOL!" didn't really help, but was there any need to spit at the schoolboy presenter?
OK, she was amusing at times, but she just came across like a tipsy, gobby cow, IMO. Which, let's face it, is what she's made a career out of: three-quarters of the times she's mentioned in the press it's for having a go at some other female singer. I don't find spurious 'vendettas' between pop stars all that interesting, to be honest.

Eric

Mr Moraigero
some of the most intelligent (academically at least) people i know have awful taste in music. like, really bad. i dont think liking crap like the kaisers says anything about someone other than that they have poor musical taste.

agreed--some people care about this stuff, some people don't

elgato

I just dont know
That is why I love Simon Anstell.

And although Amy Winehouse realy is a lovely lady who is open to the point of almost evoking sympathy due to her vulnerability, it is mainly fueled by the fact she pours copious amounts of drugs and drink into her system and is quite clearly mentally unstable. And if you cannot make fun of that when the person wears it on their sleeve so much, then I don't see the point in comedy.

yeh i usually love him too, but i thought he was on pretty poor form last night, he was just a bit obvious. and i agree, i would never say they shouldnt make fun of that, it was in a different context... just that being agitated by that isnt embarassing herself in my book