tom lea

nochexx/ascoltare, it was you who was going on about kutz upthread, right? that travelling 12" on soul jazz is brilliant- got it the other day. not wild on the other side, but travelling is like the perfect cross between clunk click every trip and 03 8-bar grime.

thought that other soul jazz 12" was a bit standard wobble though, must say

Last edited:
This may have already been discussed (possibly on DSF, but life is far too short to ever wade through that nonsense), but is there any intentional reference to the rise of fascism - especially in recession effected Europe - in Kode 9's Black Sun?
With reports from Germany suggesting the country's neo-Nazi NPD has plans for a 'Fourth Reich', the epithet - Black Sun being a notable nazi emblem - may have relevance.
It might just as easily have none. I appreciate that song titles are more often a collection of words that emulate the music's mood (perfectly in this case, as it happens), but with Steve Goodman being a fairly cereberal type there exists a case for a feasible connection.
Anyone got any ideas?

could do

This may have already been discussed (possibly on DSF, but life is far too short to ever wade through that nonsense), but is there any intentional reference to the rise of fascism - especially in recession effected Europe - in Kode 9's Black Sun?
With reports from Germany suggesting the country's neo-Nazi NPD has plans for a 'Fourth Reich', the epithet - Black Sun being a notable nazi emblem - may have relevance.
It might just as easily have none. I appreciate that song titles are more often a collection of words that emulate the music's mood (perfectly in this case, as it happens), but with Steve Goodman being a fairly cereberal type there exists a case for a feasible connection.
Anyone got any ideas?

I think it might have more to do with Nibiru though

regardless Kode9 gets waaaay too much props. knows how to release product but damn...too many are on his tings lol

Oh man, there was me thinking I may be slightly paranoid suggesting a tenuous link to neo-fascist doctrine. Nibiru is a whole 'nother level of conspiracy theorising!
Seriously though, the Hyperdub artwork indicates that you may be onto something.
And Kode will continue to get props, over here at least. :cool:

mos dan

fact music
And Kode will continue to get props, over here at least. :cool:

the joker/2000f + jkamata and new kode9 have made up about 90% of my listening diet recently.. there's a reason why they get so many props, from my pov anyway :)

okay, who knows when brackles and rams are on at fwd tonight?

mos dan

fact music
cheers for prodding me into it ben, caught chefal and rams, great way to end the weekend. rams' mad scientist bubbling-cauldron weirdness was a definite highlight.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
This may have been covered already, but who are the main players to watch out for in the Bristol dubstep scene? Watching Reyonlds' FACT talk and hearing his line about 'the second city of dubstep' reminded me that people have talked about this as a distinctive scene that is worth looking into. Am I right in thinking that the Bristol stuff is quite strongly influenced by the minimal techno sound? And are the Bruk radio broadcasts repping any of this stuff particularly strongly?

It's funny, because until about a month ago, Dubstep and UK Funky were two scenes that I was somewhat dubious about, but now they seem to finally have clicked for me. Late to the party as ever but I'm loving it! :)

tom lea

more techno influenced stuff:

- appleblim, particularly 'vansan', him and komonazmuk's remix of sideshow 'if alone'
- peverelist- the obvious tunes like 'infinity is now', 'clunk click every trip'
- narcossist- check 'sunblind', amazing tune

more g-funk/hiphop influenced stuff:

- joker's purple wow sound mix
- gemmy's fact mix
- guido mix
- rekordah mix

plus everything rsd (rob smith) is doing. you can find his stuff in various mixes- there's a 10 min mary anne hobbs session, and a forensics death star valley (vol 6 i think) mix where he plays like 4 rsd dubs.

apologies if that's all obvious, it seemed like that's what you wanted.

viktorvaughn

This may have been covered already, but who are the main players to watch out for in the Bristol dubstep scene? Watching Reyonlds' FACT talk and hearing his line about 'the second city of dubstep' reminded me that people have talked about this as a distinctive scene that is worth looking into. Am I right in thinking that the Bristol stuff is quite strongly influenced by the minimal techno sound? And are the Bruk radio broadcasts repping any of this stuff particularly strongly?

It's funny, because until about a month ago, Dubstep and UK Funky were two scenes that I was somewhat dubious about, but now they seem to finally have clicked for me. Late to the party as ever but I'm loving it! :)

Pinch, Peverelist, Appleblim.

Joker, Guido and Gemmy on the wonky dubstep tip.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Cheers to both of you - and no advice is too obvious to me, I'm king of the neophytes. :slanted:

Pinch is pretty good isn't he?

viktorvaughn

Was thinking the other day, the best dubstep experience i ever had (and ever will) was probably hearing horrorshow for the first time, really loud on a banging system.

So bleak, so pure.