Alfons

Way of the future
I watched a good interview with El B talking about production etc a couple of months ago. He did indeed sound like a considered and thoughtful individual. Can't find the link, but it's well worth searching for.

from computer music I think.

Does anyone get the sort of "the young generation is going to hell" feeling from the wire interview, that was the only thing that kind of annoyed me about it or maybe London youths are worse than they were 10 years ago?

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
there's really no need to focus on that. i've met some great people through dubstep

that interview is fantastic, really interesting

Not trying to focus per se, it's just something I think most people would notice straight away. Especially women. I've met some great people through dubstep too.

Co-signed on that interview. Really great stuff. Take that hardcore continuum!

elgato

I just dont know
Does anyone get the sort of "the young generation is going to hell" feeling from the wire interview, that was the only thing that kind of annoyed me about it or maybe London youths are worse than they were 10 years ago?

do you mean you sensed moral indignation or rather just an observation that things have changed?

mos dan

fact music
the more i read this the more it reminds me - something i should never ever forget - that you can spend 23 hours a day reading the dubstep forum and downloading sendspace tracks from myspace - and you will still have no fucking clue about music in london...

innit, so true. big up mr muggs, huuuuge interview. sorry to be missing the el-b roots night at fwd (i'm abroad) :(

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
yeah big up Joe Muggs on that interview, so good I cannot bring myself to try to one for woofah.

Trying to write tunes for the el B night, think I've fucked it :(

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
All this furrowed brow thinking about music has polluted my mind. The internet has helped me discover loads of great music and obviously there should be discussion... but sometimes I wish I'd never started thinking about music in those terms. It's easy for me to do as I live in the sticks and hardly ever go clubbing anymore.

Alfons

Way of the future
do you mean you sensed moral indignation or rather just an observation that things have changed?

he was just calling it as he saw it I guess, not about judging it. But Im just very wary of the kind of "the youth of today is.... in my younger days..." statements.

elgato

I just dont know
its a really tough issue to gauge but equally its worth being wary of a tendency to assume that social norms are in stasis...

Client Eastwood

he was just calling it as he saw it I guess, not about judging it. But Im just very wary of the kind of "the youth of today is.... in my younger days..." statements.

Out of curiosity how old would he be. About 30 ? Im guessing he's seen a lot of changes in London music from Balearic (his word for techno/house) to DnB, UKG, Dubstep and now to ukfunky.

What I am finding interesting over the past few years is that House isnt a dirty word anymore and people are looking at houses past and putting elements into ukfunky, furthermore that ppl like El-B are looking to incooparate vocals in the traditional US sense. Im hoping a dirty raw sounding Blaze are around the corner but not an imitation of the US sound.

mms

sometimes
Out of curiosity how old would he be. About 30 ? Im guessing he's seen a lot of changes in London music from Balearic (his word for techno/house) to DnB, UKG, Dubstep and now to ukfunky.

What I am finding interesting over the past few years is that House isnt a dirty word anymore and people are looking at houses past and putting elements into ukfunky, furthermore that ppl like El-B are looking to incooparate vocals in the traditional US sense. Im hoping a dirty raw sounding Blaze are around the corner but not an imitation of the US sound.

he was 24 here:
http://www.riddim.ca/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=75&Itemid=37

in 2001
so he's 32 now

Blackdown

nexKeysound

may i introduce you to Grime: sounding the inner city alarm bells since 2002...

Alfons

Way of the future
its a really tough issue to gauge but equally its worth being wary of a tendency to assume that social norms are in stasis...

true

may i introduce you to Grime: sounding the inner city alarm bells since 2002...

he he true, but it felt weird coming from a guy who's done dark and raw garage stuff

i really didn't understand his use of Balearic, thought that was something quite different.

I don't really understand anyones usage of Balearic but he definitely used it differently from most people

franz

his concerns there seemed to have to do more with not being able to reason with a young feller with a piece as opposed to the darkness (or otherwise) of any given music.