wise

bare BARE BONES
Thanks for the clips, I hadn't heard the new stuff but i'm well aware of the older ones, been into jungle/D&B since '95 just stopped paying attention the last couple of years.

It's interesting you should put Soul in Motion up as I never got why everyone liked that track so much, it just seemed really dull to me.
There are some great tech-step tracks but the whole pitched down inertia of the genre really depresses me if i'm not in the right mood.

I'm sure there's space for innovation at 170bpm without the plodding monotony.
Surely it was out of this lack of rhythmic variety that many of modern D&B's problems grew?

Soul Beat Runna's a beast though eh :D

mms

sometimes
The whole intro to that piece is very badly written.

I do quite like scuba though. Best thing I've heard is his remix of 'Pull of guilt' by Zen Militia.

resident advisor is a primarily a techno resource though, it seems to cover dubstep if the venn diagram shows that dubstep and techno overlap, and all that postmodern stuff.

Last edited:
re: that scuba interview.

I'd rather hear angry adolescent boy music than dread full intellectual dysrythmia.

IMHO Klinik sucks balls too and so does the whole techno/dubstep cross over thing. While it might be revitalising techno, it's flushing dubstep down a berlin sewer. Scuba made better tunes when he was beefin with blackdown in the UK.

Boxcutter flirting with glitchy electrofunk or reso's over the top, balls out, breakstep workouts are way more fun.

I don't get the dubstep/techno crossover stuff either, dilutes rather than intensifies both sounds.

Boxcutter's electrofunk - spacebass is tune of the year so far for me

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Given that this is the second thread it's come up in of late, can we please name some names regarding these supposedly awful dubstep-techno crossovers? I'm not saying that they don't exist, I just want people to spill so that I know who to avoid. :p

Benny Bunter

Given that this is the second thread it's come up in of late, can we please name some names regarding these supposedly awful dubstep-techno crossovers? I'm not saying that they don't exist, I just want people to spill so that I know who to avoid. :p

Haven't heard much I'd describe as 'awful' but there is a fair bit of quite boring stuff. I liked the first few things by 2562 a lot but by the time his album came out I started to find it a bit dry. Not too keen on sigha and some of the other hotflush and 7seven stuff. Peverelist does it best I think. And Skream when I come to think of it, I like his techy stuff the best. Like those Marc Ashken remixes, they were great.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Haven't heard much I'd describe as 'awful' but there is a fair bit of quite boring stuff. I liked the first few things by 2562 a lot but by the time his album came out I started to find it a bit dry. Not too keen on sigha and some of the other hotflush and 7seven stuff. Peverelist does it best I think. And Skream when I come to think of it, I like his techy stuff the best. Like those Marc Ashken remixes, they were great.

Thanks Benny. I do really appreciate when people give straight answers like this. Yeah, 2562 - I've not been hugely impressed by most of his stuff either (rubbish 'name', too :rolleyes: ). I suppose at this stage I should also put it out there that I'm not 100% sold on Martyn either. Some of his output I really like, some not so much. But then his music is perhaps not as strictly techno-influenced as some. Never really investigated the Hotflush output although it is on my list. I do get the impression it won't be fully to my tastes, but then you can't be sure untily you try, can you?
I'm very keen on Peverelist too, one of my favourites in dubstep as a whole. That's part of why I can get a bit annoyed when people dismiss techno influences out of hand. The other thing is I don't like the nudge-wink sort of tone in which it can be done, it can be a bit like 'ooh, all that boring 'deep' stuff' without people bothering to specify. Though I guess that's no worse than dismissive generalisations about 'generic halfstep wobble', which are another pet gripes. Ho-hum, weekend afternoons were made for pointless rants. ;)

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
The trouble is, you tend to spend most of your time and energy ID'ing remembering the stuff that you do like. The stuff that you don't is more "I don't know what it is but I've been bored through a few DJ sets full of it..."

Speaking of which - Breakage - Together. What a tune!

ether

scuba always seemed to be someone who's been outspoken and had strong ideas which direction the scene should go, i always i got the impression there was quite a bit of bad blood between him and the tempa camp as a consequence.

he seems ardent on carving niche for him self in the berlin scene rather being part of the London furniture, the substance nights at berghain and the recent remixes on hotflush have definitely been highlights in a scene which was starting to feel a bit creatively bankrupt towards the end of 2007. though i dont think he's hit his stride yet with the the techno infused stuff, i wasnt mad on his album tbo but his willingness to explore new territories has to be commended.

the cross over between techno and dubstep initially seemed contrived because it was a mutual appreciation, but has started to yeald some intresting results.
like funky it takes an investment on the listener to embrace the possibilities and dj's willingness to move a scene.

6 months ago alot of peoples impression of dubstep consisted of night, rusko and skreams car crash mixing. i'm just glad were not awash with larger and LFO....

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Which are his 2 step tracks? I've got the last two albums which are spotty but I quite enjoy

Actually the only one that comes to mind is a remix of Two Banks Of Four, guess I was exaggerating things, but I saw him DJ some free outdoor thing in 99 and he played almost entirely 2 step.

boomnoise

♫
if i recall the 12'' 'radio' version of calamine includes a sweep of the fm pirate radio spectrum before it switches into a distinctly 2 step flavour

Repulse

I'm very keen on Peverelist too, one of my favourites in dubstep as a whole. That's part of why I can get a bit annoyed when people dismiss techno influences out of hand.
Peverelist, Hyetal, Headhunter, Pinch, Blim etc are just as much about the Jungle and hardcore as techno though, if not more. Compare this with Clunk Click for example. I know thats why I love that stuff but cant really relate to Scuba especially, Martyn, 2562 bar a few tunes they've done which are more dubby/jazzy/drum'n'bassy feel.

The straight up techno 'step, Scuba's album for example, possibly the most boring dubstep album I've heard pre Caspa's (imo).

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
Burial and Four Tet were both at Elliot together, so I guess they go back which is the reason for the collaboration I guess. I hope Four Tet ups his game for this release as he's been getting away with putting out some real crap recently. I hope the release is a collaboration.

i hope it's not cos besides the stuff he did with steve reid, which is suprisingly good, 4 tets music is almost instantly forgettable, whilst burials is the opposite, takes a while to sink in and then and then it's unforgettable, and the memory is replenished with a new listen.

hopper

i hope it's not cos besides the stuff he did with steve reid, which is suprisingly good, 4 tets music is almost instantly forgettable, whilst burials is the opposite, takes a while to sink in and then and then it's unforgettable, and the memory is replenished with a new listen.

I think they could bring out the best of each other, four tet does do some things really well - and I think if all things go well then you could have a really amazing psychedelic style burial track. That mf doom remix shiels just posted is a really good example of four tet getting it right.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
The idea that in 2005 dubstep was too simplistic, not 'sophisticated' enough because it wasn't immaculately produced or something - the simplicity, space and roughness of the music was what made it exciting and gave it its identity for me, and besides - what about ideas, as opposed to 'sound design'?

There's dubstep of all kinds being made which feels a little antiseptic and slick to me, as if its had all its grit and rawness pressed out of it. I suppose, given the emphasis on bass frequencies that's always been there with dubstep, that its inevitable that sound fetishism begins to dictate things across the spectrum. From filthy spongebob riffs to shimmering dub-techno chords.

Not to say that a slick mixdown necessarily inhibits a producer - look at Joker. But its the way he uses ideas/melodies, not the mixdown, that makes him one of the best at the moment.

viktorvaughn

DMZ
THE MASS - BRIXTON
10 - 6am

DIGITAL MYSTIKZ & LOEFAH (3hr set)
CHEF
JACK SPARROW
MARTYN
JUAN BASSHEAD - (Miami)

What's Jack Sparrow and Juan saying? Chef still good nowadays or has he gone to the wobble side?