tom lea

seen, was going with the tracklist terror sent us.

how much of a chump am i though, i've had the zumpi 12" for ages and never even really registered that was on there. only ever play the a really. duh. idiot.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
I know I was lean but I'm certainly it was something different. Someone must have recorded it.

nah there was definitely a fkked mix of creepy crawler, i tweeted terror about it (not reply yet). had loads of reversed noises in it. siiick

anyone else clock that Jeru the Damajah just turned up at Dub War and did a few tracks including "Come Clean"!!!!!

Ach!

Turd on the Run
I managed to rip the stream for the Silkie - Train Wreck Mix from the Red Bull Radio site, which I thought would be of interest.

Silkie - Concrete Jungle - Deep Medi
Silkie - We Are Robots - Dub
Silkie - Turvy - Deep Medi
Silkie - Dam4 - Soul Jazz
Silkie - Spark - Deep Medi
Silkie - Float - Dub
Silkie - Sty - Deep Medi
Silkie - Lol - Dub
Silkie - Quasar - Deep Medi
Silkie - Test - Deep Medi
Silkie - Purple Love - Deep Medi
Silkie - Gypsy (Rmx) - Dub
Silkie - Planet Ex - Deep Medi
Silkie - I Sed - Deep Medi
Silkie - Head Butt Da Deck - Deep Medi
Silkie - Untitled - Dub
Silkie - Techno 22 - Deep Medi
Silkie - Untitled - DubSilkie - The Horizon - Deep Medi

lazybones

f, d , d+f , p.
i'm really hoping that somone rec'd k9's fwd set..... the fact that it was being streamed made me feel a bit better about missing it due to work. par> ? please say it aint so.

Benny Bunter

starkey remix of 'more than money' is out on junodownload...

Picked this up on vinyl but with a mis-printed label, they might have been withdrawn by now. Big tune...

Also glad to see Code Morse getting love on here. I'm sure this about the 5th time someone's said that its their fave grime tune recently on here. Its mine too.

Last edited:

atoga

i tuned into rinse not expecting them to be broadcasting it and ended up getting the end of kode9's set: http://www.divshare.com/download/7416512-a53

only 35 mins but he covers a lot - some wonky and housey bits, terror danjah/roll deep, poison dart, serious thugz dub, and a completely absurd outro (does anyone know what that is?)

sorry about the shit quality, my sound card drivers are acting a bit weird. hoping someone recorded the full thing.

I'd love to hear a recording of the kode9 set too. Have people here read his wire interview? long but worth it .

Electronic dance music culture now… there’s lots of tiny interesting things going on, but really it’s a mess. It doesn’t seem to have the profound life changing…. Well that’s not true, I’m sure it does for many people. But I think a lot of people think it’s in this entropic, dissipative phase, where it’s microsegmenting in all dimensions, tiny little niches…. It’s going into hyper niche mode. So that’s one tendency, it’s in this entropic phase of fragmentation. Lots of interesting little things, but nothing strong, unifying… but at the same time people are fascinated by whether something could happen which could transform the whole thing, transform all the rules of the game and make it into something else. Or whether it’s in terminal dissipation. It’s the unanswered questions that everybody who is interested in these broader trends, you have to be genuinely interested in that now…. Looking for clues and what’s happening.
I'm with him there. but still there's loads about now to really excite me, if there's any unity it's collective appreciation from different scenes, with bass being the shared love, obviously dubstep has played a huge part in this. Plenty of djs seem to be joining dots nicely between a range of temps from hip-hop, funk, house and funky, garage, dubstep, techno to jungle, hard to get a nice flow but amazing on a night out if executed well, which is why i want to hear his fwd set.

Also think he's on the money comparing the aggy wobble bass that's like the fast food of getting people dancing across loads of genres now.. to rock, the way people react to it, punching the ceiling and moshing..rather than dancing. I think this is to do with rock being completely dead and indie rock types are migrating to electronic stuff en masse, resulting in loads of shouty soulless gack, instantaneous.

He conceptualizes a lot of the stuff i like about good dance music really well, stuff that draws you in and builds a tension. rather than hitting you with big chunks of riff meat straight away.. and i love the way he talks about crying and singing synths.

All this said i haven't been bowled over by his recent productions like loads of people have, though i've yet to hear them played out..

4linehaiku

Repetitive
Just read the Loefah interview, it's great. The bit about the Root Remix is very amusing, it's a good sign though. Nothing like too much reverence to ruin a remix.
Quite funny him talking about the Benga / Skream type thing as being rave for 18 year olds or whatever, as I associate Youngsta era halfstep with being 18 and first going out to raves and that.
Still not totally convinced by Kryptic Minds though. Will try that mix, see if it changes my mind.

petergunn

plywood violin
Just read the Loefah interview, it's great. The bit about the Root Remix is very amusing, it's a good sign though. Nothing like too much reverence to ruin a remix.
Quite funny him talking about the Benga / Skream type thing as being rave for 18 year olds or whatever, as I associate Youngsta era halfstep with being 18 and first going out to raves and that.
Still not totally convinced by Kryptic Minds though. Will try that mix, see if it changes my mind.

i listened to that mix twice yesterday and i'm not totally convinced... the interview + mix makes they think are sort of shot... like Burial, but worse... not feeling it... mature doesn't have to meet pretentious and new-agey... would rather Loefah signed some unknown kid making good, griity original halfstep... there has to be some out there...

franz

i caught Kode in Van at the beginning of his North American tour, which started shortly after (i'm thinking a week, maybe a bit more) the FWD with him an' Flying Lotus, et. al.

he played a fair amount of stuff that i did recognize (two Grievous tunes, In the Morning and other funky cuts, maybe 3 different Joker cuts, Poison Dart, Martyn's mix of Broken, etc.) he def. played some stuff that i didn't at all (and don't think i've heard since then...)... a lot of which sounded in the vein of the most recent hyperdub 12"... or certainly sounded like his productions at any rate. i'm not sure when the album is slated, but i'm hoping/assuming that a lot of this stuff will be turning up there.
dunno if other people who've seen him lately have had similar experiences? honestly can't think of that many producers whose work i could mistake his for...

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
He's got a stack of unfinished broken funky stuff. Plus he seems to be playing a load of 135-140 3:2 gear which I assume is from the hyperdub camp and sounds very next-level to me.