mms

sometimes
bullshit... basically I just find that there can a slightly unhealthy amount of intellectual snobbery and lack of tact on this forum. some people on here talk about their taste in music like it's an absolute for quality in music.

I can see where you're coming from joe.dfx and I get what you guys mean, but I think they've hit a spot in dubstep that has been absent for quite a long time now since Loefah stopped producing tunes really.

so you're doing exactly what you're accusing people of but you like it and they don't?

thats what it seems like to me.

hopper

sorry guys for starting a petty feud anyway - it was pretty childish of me. is there anyway to delete a bunch of posts just to keep the thread undisturbed?

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
sorry guys for starting a petty feud anyway - it was pretty childish of me. is there anyway to delete a bunch of posts just to keep the thread undisturbed?

Don't delete them! I actually thought 'hurrah! the dubstep thread's finally kicking off!'

alex

Do not read this.
anyone see that youtube vid of the new Scuba??

dutty

HF024 - Scuba - Aesaunic EP
Release date: 19 October 2009
Format: 2x12" and digital on Beatport.com

Not on the new Kryptic Minds bit's really, sounds like a high definition version of what dubstep was doing in 06.

The above however...jeez

Last edited:

Blackdown

nexKeysound
The above however...jeez

...sounds a lot like techno lol. does your argument work both ways? ;)

my take on the kryptic minds lp is that yes, it uses the drum template pioneered by loefah but takes in different textures and sonic signatures each of which are especially prominant given this is fairly minimal music.

i think the LP really works as a whole, it's physical but detailed, and has that amazing edge of darkness-yet-restrained-from-full-rage vibe that's so hard to do well, avoiding the dual pitfalls of a) infantile freakout (hello wobble!) or b) tepid coffee table relaxation.

i'd urge people, if they liked 'one of us' to check it rather than write it off before they've experienced it. personally i'm glad 'dance' music like this still has a place in dubstep 2009, it could so easily have been lost in an era of wobble for superclubs, snoop dogg, eve-on-benga et al.

alex

Do not read this.
...sounds a lot like techno lol. does your argument work both ways? ;)

ah good point!..

Not saying that's a bad thing RE: The HD comment, on the contrary this album is refreshing if anything. It does just seem a bit recycled (to me anyway) However, not as recycled as some of the pap that get's released nowdays.

I also 100% agree with the fact that if Loefah has indeed not pushed this (with your help Blackdown) this would have slipped the net, as I have a nasty way of tarnishing the majority of the influx of d&b artist's take on dubstep with the same brush (re: chafe & datsucks)

The Scuba EP does also seem a bit samey on comparison with some of his other releases (the hotshore, the hundred's & thousands) but I guess that is just HIS style of tune, and to be honest, I do have a soft spot for his sound. (The key's near the drop on the last release were magical, "Klinik/Hundreds & Thousands")

Also there is this forthcoming aswell, which I am particularly excited about, as Spatial's 1st two releases were flawlessly subby & straight in the deep, 'sow we like it :-D

Blackdown

nexKeysound
I have a nasty way of tarnishing the majority of the influx of d&b artist's take on dubstep with the same brush (re: chafe & datsucks)

yeah i have to check myself for this reflex too, as for every Benny Page, Nero, Jakes, Tech Itch etc there's a Kryptic Minds, SP, Martyn etc. Well it's not a 1-1 ratio but still...

Ory

warp drive
agree with a lot of what blackdown is saying in theory, but I could go without hearing one of those KM neuro basslines ever again.

also, scuba's new stuff bores me.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
yeah i have to check myself for this reflex too, as for every Benny Page, Nero, Jakes, Tech Itch etc there's a Kryptic Minds, SP, Martyn etc. Well it's not a 1-1 ratio but still...

Hmmm, that was handy - I was about to do a post in here about how I reckon Jakes is quite a bit better than most of the other wobble-centred producers, and ask do others agree, and if so why?

I can appreciate Kryptic Minds for what they are, which to my mind is like a high-definition, widescreen version of classic Loefah stuff, pulled off in a very accomplished way; but personally, I can go for long periods of time without ever wanting to listen to them, and would much prefer something (considerably) more lively or energetic - however, I can accept that this is a case of me imposing my own preferences where they're not really relevant.

In other news, how is everybody? I've been away for a wee bit 'cause I've been moving flat and don't have internet sorted out yet. Posting this from Shawlands Beanscene which has to be a nominee for most bourgeois place on earth. Not that I'm really complaining right now - I just must have that free wi-fi, dahling. ;)

FairiesWearBoots

just seen that KM are on Hatcha's show with Loefah tomorrow - should be dope

loving that Distance 'Feel me' tune that someone pointed out, I've avoided most Distance due to the heavy metal vibes but Feel me is great,

3 other more decent 2 steppy tracks that I have also recently discovered -

Marlow - Back for more
http://www.soundsoftheuniverse.com/releases/?id=17429

DFRNT - Tripped (Synkro rmx)
[URLhttp://www.chemical-records.co.uk/sc/search?All=True&Category=AL&ND=-1&Sort=NI&inandout=both&Search=DFRNT+%2f+Synkro[/URL]

Darkstar - Dunhill Riddem
http://www.chemical-records.co.uk/sc/servlet/Info?Track=CLDUB006

alex

Do not read this.
So what's everyone's favourite unreleased tunes from the Golden Era?

Mine would have to be

Loefah - Woman
Skream - Lemon
Mala - Drunken Swagger

Also Blackdown, could you shed some light on this? DMZ have been quiet for a fair few months now. Have they ceased releasing tunes? (Wouldnt surprise me) Or have the Artist's turned there attention to there own individual projects? (More Likely)