mms

sometimes
Thus following the drum and bass parallel to its natural end and thereby marking dubstep's end. It's a headfuck trying to think of a way to pull out of this nose dive.

i think your're both wrong, dubstep was at its most innovative as it was coming up in its first generation, its gone wrong as its less experimental or there is an experimental faction and a banger faction as it works around a set bunch of definitions of what it is now when those definitions didn't really exist before, and alot of innovations happened.
experimental/bangers, rather than what it was; experimental bangers.
it needs to harness some of that two step energy too, partly it's just slower less rhythmically interesting techno with swampy bass at the mo in alot of cases, sexless, no interest rhythmically, or even in the bass for alot of cases, just stereotypical fucking darkness and thuggishness.
course there are a bunch of things that aren't but are they experimental or bangers?? yawn!

Last edited:

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
i think your're both wrong, dubstep was at its most innovative as it was coming up in its first generation, its gone wrong as its less experimental or there is an experimental faction and a banger faction as it works around a set bunch of definitions of what it is now when those definitions didn't really exist before, and alot of innovations happened.
experimental/bangers, rather than what it was; experimental bangers.
Isn't that kind of like what I said originally?

Re avoiding the nosedive - I think if we learn one thing from DnB, it should maybe not be how boring jump up got when it spent too long focusing on the simplest populist elements, but how boring 'intelligent drum and bass' got after it got po-faced and snobbish about populist elements and started excluding anything with a whiff of fun or excitement.

Kuma

The Konspirator
On the remix tip for the next record dropping on Immerse. Release in January.
Audio should be up on the Immerse site soon.

gnome

can someone compile a list of essential dubstep 12"s for a total outsider/noob

nothing is too old or too obvious (I'm only really familiar with hyperdub stuff)

marsyas

nothing is too old or too obvious (I'm only really familiar with hyperdub stuff)

you should go to bleep or beatport and listen to as many tunes as u can and tell us what you like out of those, then we could tell you some stuff along those lines you would enjoy.

10 people making a list of essential dubstep would most likely yield 10 very different lists.

Tanadan

likes things

I'm sticking with stuff you'll be able to find reasonably easily...

Skream - Midnight Request Line (Tempa)

Anything at all on DMZ, especially
Loefah - Mud
Digital Mystikz - Neverland/Stuck
Mala - Bury The Bwoy/Hunter and Left Leg Out/Blue Notez

and from the new school
2562 - Kameleon/Channel One (Tectonic)

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
Ugh...that Alan Braxe track. Just further cementing my impression of him as the creator of the most linear, boring, simplistic tracks ever. His tracks always give the feeling of a a few rectangular boxes placed one after another on a grid.

As far as essential dubstep...you can just go listen to the Dubstep All Stars series on Tempa and be set.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
this is one of two album's beezy's done. look out for him in 08, i think he's really stepped up as a recording artist.

where is

J Da Flex nowadays?

I was listening to his last show on 1xtra last week and he used to play some decent s***

there's a few names he mentions who I don't hear anymore...Tim Landslide (?) who did a track with SLT Mob

I found it mad interesting how Daz I Que made 'Are You Really From The Ends'? he plays some intended follow up track which he turned into a samba ting - he should've stuck around

not a fan of Beezy at all plus Shackleton is a

badman

I like his honesty

Last edited:

ThinKing

there's a few names he mentions who I don't hear anymore...Tim Landslide (?) who did a track with SLT Mob

Landslide's still about, although that Splurt tune is pretty old. Wish they'd released the more upbeat Skream version, it's a lot better than the halfstep one that came out on Halo.

Anyways, yea Tim started a family about 2 1/2 years ago but has been back on the tunes recently, and his productions are sounding crisp as always - he's also trying out a slightly harder/darker sound. I dropped one of his new bits "Dreams & Visions" on my radio show recently:

http://www.dubstepforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=31912