benjybars

village elder.
it seems like such a high proportion of DSF members are from the US these days... like at least half the board.

is dubstep big in america now? do college kids rave to it etc?

joe.dfx

who knows...
it seems like such a high proportion of DSF members are from the US these days... like at least half the board.

YUP.

when i was first playing it out a few years ago i was lucky to get 20 ppl to show up. there's a crew in my town doing lots of shows (like 3-4 month) and they get 300-400+ ppl to show up easily. 90% of the kids in attendence are 18-21 years old.

and a majority of the headliners are the likes of rusko, datsik, excision, borgore, cookie monsta, etc, etc.

it's pretty confusing to watch all these kids going apeshit to music they really dont know that much about. and they go nuts to anything as long as it's half step tearout nonsense. you play anything that isn't and the crowd instantly goes dead.

luckily someone else is bringin Kode9 & Flying Lotus here this saturday, and I'm seriously excited for that.

CrowleyHead

Yes. It's also very 'hipster' adored out here... At least, I get that impression from a lot of people with dubstep angst.

Leo

YUP.

when i was first playing it out a few years ago i was lucky to get 20 ppl to show up. there's a crew in my town doing lots of shows (like 3-4 month) and they get 300-400+ ppl to show up easily. 90% of the kids in attendence are 18-21 years old.

and a majority of the headliners are the likes of rusko, datsik, excision, borgore, cookie monsta, etc, etc.

it's pretty confusing to watch all these kids going apeshit to music they really dont know that much about. and they go nuts to anything as long as it's half step tearout nonsense. you play anything that isn't and the crowd instantly goes dead.

luckily someone else is bringin Kode9 & Flying Lotus here this saturday, and I'm seriously excited for that.

really? umm...maybe its cool within a small, select scene of hipsters but wouldn't say it's broadly popular, and certainly not anywhere near the level of popularity of the average crap indie rock band. a few clubs in a few cities will have occasional nights that might get crowded, but the average student/young music fan kid here still has no clue about it.

Last edited:

benjybars

village elder.

yeah that's kind of the impression i got from briefly reading DSF.

is d&b big in america at all? was uk garage?

no direspect, cos i know there were plenty of north americans on dubstep from early, but i could never really understand why anyone would be into dubstep/grime etc if they weren't from UK. or actually from london. actually forget it, i'm just being a london snob..

anyway yeah, weird that all those guys are big in america. i never really got the sense that "breaking america" was a goal for UK producers in the same way it is for traditional bands etc.. maybe it is tho?

Leo

anyway yeah, weird that all those guys are big in america. i never really got the sense that "breaking america" was a goal for UK producers in the same way it is for traditional bands etc.. maybe it is tho?

again, it's all relative to what you consider "big" and "breaking america." some occasional club nights, some college radio airplay, etc., but it's highly selective and certainly not BIG. most record stores -- the few that remain -- stock very little, if any, dubstep.

Last edited:

joe.dfx

who knows...
yeah that's kind of the impression i got from briefly reading DSF.

is d&b big in america at all? was uk garage?

no direspect, cos i know there were plenty of north americans on dubstep from early, but i could never really understand why anyone would be into dubstep/grime etc if they weren't from UK. or actually from london. actually forget it, i'm just being a london snob..

D&B was at a time really popular, but now, not so much. Reprezent blew up over here, but after they faded out so did most of the listeners. The scene is pretty healthy still, I think, but it's definitely leveled out to a smaller, niche market.

UK Garage was never big here at all. Most people have no clue what you're talking about. I was lucky though because in Minneapolis where I'm from there was actually a pretty good following for awhile.

I've been listening to nuum music since the mid ninties so I've pretty much always followed where it went since then. with the internet now it's super easy for any kid with a P2P to download and hear anything they want so it's no surprise that there's dubstep heads all over.

Webstarr

to be fair what Benji was saying about college kids is pretty much the same in UK in non-major cities. It's getting to the point where I don't want to put the word dubstep on my flyers because the music people associate with it & what me & a few others are playing are so far apart.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
First ever Keysound Recordings showcase tonight at Rhythm Factory, us, LHF and Kowton + Pipedown DJs. If you're coming down, gimme a shout.
<./ spam .>

tom lea

First ever Keysound Recordings showcase tonight at Rhythm Factory, us, LHF and Kowton + Pipedown DJs. If you're coming down, gimme a shout.
<./ spam .>
i'm gonna try, got a load on that needs done before i go scotland for the weekend tho so it's 50/50. hope it goes well regardless. what are set times?

benw

Gutted can't reach, im in Paris (not completely gutted bout the last part clearly). Out to all Pipedown + Keysound crew, doing it large right now! Don't think any blogs deliver as consistently on quality as those.