SecondLine

This is off topic, sorry, but the new Chrissy Murderbot and Machinedrum albums, both on planet Mu, are working that 145-160 range. You can hear juke, jungle and (in the case of machinedrum) weird weightless, spacey hip-hop in there but some of the tracks are a really interesting hybrid:

http://www.planet.mu/discography/ZIQ294

http://www.planet.mu/discography/ZIQ307

some of the Machinedrum stuff is pretty much speedy dubstep actually...'now u know the deal 4 real'

SecondLine

It's shit like that that makes me not that fucking bothered when arts funding gets cut...BBC & arts council heads are, by their nature, clueless twats

hopper

It's shit like that that makes me not that fucking bothered when arts funding gets cut...BBC & arts council heads are, by their nature, clueless twats

yeah same, and the amount of uninteresting galleries and things like that doing useless shit that makes shallow opportunity to engage with the public as well kinda makes me think the same thing a bit.... think there could be quite a unexpected benefits that may come from it.

the dubstep symphony thing was the top page of the bbc main page for a bit, who knows who makes these decisions to pick nero as a way of connecting contemporary music with the classical world, really clueless. and also Zane Lowe, enough now.

joe.dfx

who knows...
i agree...good tune (not dubstep though! ; )

new vivek ep on deepmedi is solid.

the new TEETH 12" on Noppa is fucking killer too.

Aww Nein

Wild Palms
that is the best thing about 150bpm - it's still unexplored tempo range if you don't count hardcore / early jungle. and even in those styles the transition from 140 to 160 happened quickly.

my freind was playing me some amazing uk garage sets by mac 10 from early 2000's-ish where all the garage was pitched up to 150, pretty intense sound... ill find some when he sends me them and link to them

joe.dfx

who knows...
the 150ish stuff that Randall and the 'JTek' guys have been doing for the past couple years is pretty good.

this stuff should get it's own thread thou!

wise

bare BARE BONES
there wasn't much garage that was 140 unless you're talking about Slimzee proto Grime stuff, some of the tunes in that mix might be at 135 originally but most of them are 128 bits so unless they had some jacked up Technics in the studio 138 is about as high as you'd get them at plus 8

wise

bare BARE BONES
im pretty sure that there pitched up to 150... i did tap tempo on them an thats what it came up with, im sure the tracks are originally 140 but theyve ben pitched quite high on the turntables

Seems that you're right, so they must have had +-16 Technics

Basement Jaxx - Jump & Shout Dem 2 remix from that mix is 130bpm originally, pitched +16 it's 150bpm.

Do many people have altered Technics like this? Must make it a bit harder to hold a mix.
I seem to remember the grime tunes in that Conflict DVD with the Dizzee & Titch fight sounding really really fast maybe that's the same thing

Last edited:

gremino

Moster Sirphine
that J Tek stuff is terrible, sounds like Nu Skool Breaks

i was actually very inspired by the idea of jtek when it started back in '07 (partly inspired me to make my own >140bpm 4x4 stuff), but unfortunately in practice the sound wasn't that great... beats were rigid as fuck (over quantizes breaks forced over 4x4 beats) with over-produced oldskool stabs. but still the idea in theory is good: jungley bassheavy 4x4 beats. though it's not just about four to the floow, but the non-4x4 tracks sound like slowed down midrange dnb.

denoir

i was actually very inspired by the idea of jtek when it started back in '07 (partly inspired me to make my own >140bpm 4x4 stuff), but unfortunately in practice the sound wasn't that great... beats were rigid as fuck (over quantizes breaks forced over 4x4 beats) with over-produced oldskool stabs. but still the idea in theory is good: jungley bassheavy 4x4 beats. though it's not just about four to the floow, but the non-4x4 tracks sound like slowed down midrange dnb.

don't you mean "hardcore breaks"? I thought some of the actual j-tek was pretty decent, esp. Outrage, Modular, Ricky Force & his initiative...Obviously they missed support from big names probably because nobody in dnb really felt like going 30 bpm slower to play this sort of stuff...the whole movement could have gotten much more serious/interesting had they not come up with it a couple of years before all the click'n'fillip/autonomic/ohwearsodeepnintelligent movement blew up and everything went slower, destroying some boundaries

joe.dfx

who knows...
yeah....i wasn't saying it was any good. ; )

there's some cool bits every once and awhile, but overall i'm not getting the point of it.

some of the better stuff does sound more like dubstep then 'ardcore fwiw.

and the timing was definitely off. dubstep getting huge and the deeper end of dnb going autonomic cut randall & co. too small a piece to really make any progress. it still seems to be the same guys doing it now as it was when it started a few years ago.

(i'll still take the JTek stuff over all the shitty amen 140ish tunes that have been coming out like (although cluekid seems to be pretty good at making them) the stuff skream does is terrible)

denoir

well I can't say I've heard much j-tek, a couple of sets, the first few releases (j-tek001 had a proper nice sounding cut on vinyl...digital files don't really do jungle/hardcore justice I guess)...I just thought "hardcore breaks" fit into your description better (i.e. nu skool breaks like) although obviously that scene has been around for a while so u can find also find there some gems

j-tek had a lot of potential but as you said most of the tunes sounded too clean and forgettable...