comelately

Wild Horses
standard shoreditch practice to wait for a fat queue to build before you let anyone in.. get as many random trend-hoppers asking what everyone's queueing for as possible. the policy probably has as much to do with plastic as it does fwd>>

but

9pm doors? for fwd? are you crazy? :D even on a thursday you'd never be able to get in before 10.30, some rose-tinted bizzle going on here methinks

IIRC, when FWD first moved to Fridays it had a stated doors open time of 9PM. I was at the first Friday FWD (June/July 2006) and we turned up at 21:30 'cos I wasn't sure what the deal would be crowdwise. Think they opened up just after 22:00.

Pretty sure I was in before 23:00 at the 4-5 Thursday FWD's I attended, and nearer 10 than 11 on most occasions.

And I said funny handshakes, not secret handshakes. I wasn't making a point about cliqueyness.

straight

wings cru
so in summation, whats bein said? is fwd still worth a punt? with moving down south permanently i'll have a chance top be gettin out on a friday night without having to go to some blog house cackola sanctioned by my missus, is it worth the queue? all the dubstep raves up here are full of d&b dolts as promoters up here seem top think kode9 and high contrast are fantastic bedfellows.

will the regulars think im a come-lately tosser?

will i be required to keep a cv of past raves to gain trust and respect of the crowd?

will i be well received if i try to request burial or one of them tunes off of skins? you know, the one by that guy whos supposed to be massive attack?

UFO over easy

online mahjong
yeah man I'd say so! just pick your lineup. tonight will be good though I can't make it unfortunately. try and make one of the bristol takeovers maybe.. it's just not essential to go regularly anymore. I maybe go once every few months and normally have a great time

get a good group together as well and get there for 11 cos it's not about queueing on your own for half an hour either

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
yeah man I'd say so! just pick your lineup. tonight will be good though I can't make it unfortunately. try and make one of the bristol takeovers maybe.. it's just not essential to go regularly anymore.
It seems to have improved massively since the middle of last year, though - there was a point when they had about three months of different combinations of N-Type, Benga and Yunx, with maybe Skream or D1 every now and then if you were lucky. I don't know if it's been a conscious decision, but the lineups these days are really exciting.

elgato

I just dont know
the lineups this year have been consistently awesome, i've wanted to go to every single one. the vibe seems so so most times now though, it seemed much better last time i went(Martyn, Kode 9 etc), but still a bit random, loads of people who just seemed a bit pissed and friday night in Hoxton if you know what i mean. arrgh the cliquey exclusivity that rolls off my tongue :/

well worth going to the odd one though imo

mos dan

fact music
for me it's a definite whenever Slimzee's playing but that's rare these days

i would go a long way out of my way to see a slimzee set at fwd. last time i did it involved abandoning all my mates at heatwave, going on my own, brucking out on my own, and leaving on my own, whereupon i was jumped down the road in shoreditch and had my phone nicked. and i'd do it all again i tell ya... ;)

in other news, should this maybe get a wub-wub refix?

mms

sometimes
that applepips martyn track is lush
so are the two silkie and quest new ones on deepmedi - the old nu-groovey b sides anyway, house and dubstep melded in a tidy fashion.
new pinch is just weird mad good too, really strange shifting rhythms.
dubstep was shit last year now it's really great again! yay!

Last edited:

elgato

I just dont know
hyperdub are rinsing it beyond belief too, the new Darkstar 12 is amazing, everything they bring out is spot on

straight

wings cru
I may have missed an earlier chat about it but whats everyones opinions on that d1 'im lovin' track? picked it up for 'speed' but it after a brief listen its like full on cheesy sub-hed kandi fodder. I was waiting for some twist to the formula but it just sounds like the sort of thing people from big brother and emmerdale doing dj sets play

is this what this new urban funky is supposed to be? can i see the emporers bollocks?

UFO over easy

online mahjong
I don't see the hed kandi connection, I think it's a wicked tune!

it's a remix of a fairly classic house tune I think, but I haven't heard the original. if more funky sounded like this I'd probably be more interested - sick broken rhythms, dirty bass but really uplifting with a real sense of fun

hucks said:
[re: martyn on applepips] It's like I've been waiting since '97 for this - Wax Doctor and Alex Reece make broken garage

with nico supplying a '96 style hoover! amazing tune. I think it's out soonish :)

benjybars

village elder.
hyperdub are rinsing it beyond belief too, the new Darkstar 12 is amazing, everything they bring out is spot on

yeah it's ridiculous how on-point hyperdub are... just massive release after massive release...

there's been so many amazing tunes released this year already. exciting times.. :)

anyone reaching Platform One to see Horsepower tonight?? i recommend it strongly.. the system down there in saying alot.

straight

wings cru
I don't see the hed kandi connection, I think it's a wicked tune!

it's a remix of a fairly classic house tune I think, but I haven't heard the original. if more funky sounded like this I'd probably be more interested - sick broken rhythms, dirty bass but really uplifting with a real sense of fun
:)

hmmm, not quite convinced, the filter sounds grate on me, the bassline just sounds a bit louder than straight up house and the rhythm didnt do much for me, i was expecting it to go a bit soca. i'l have a listen at the weekend on a rave and see how it fairs then

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Hello. Just thought I'd mention that Mary Ann Hobbs dropped two tunes of mine on her show this week: Culture Killer (off the album) and Lady Dub (which won't be, but might be on a little 12 in a couple of months time). She was quite enthusiastic. Made me very happy!