Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
This is a hilarious contrast to grimeforum whose main problem is that the participants can't find it in them to say a single good word about the music they listen to every day, obsess over, and apparently love.

To the point where if someone says they like a particular artist using any more than a couple of sentences, they get sardonically accused of being that artist under an internet alias.

Shonx

Shallow House
Even if it comes back in two days or two weeks or two months, the gesture has been made. And it might work. For this is a struggle worth having.

winston_churchill.jpg

gragy10

Veteran Lurker
Agree with a lot of what's been said re; where the community had changed for the worst, but in my persistent lurking/sporadic posting there i never saw much of this aggressive ignorance stance that a few people have mentioned.
If anything there was something of the reverse problem, in that an unsuspecting newcomer would make some pro-wobble comment then get lynched by a bunch of Mala/Martyn devotees.
Seemed to be a lot of shortsightedness with how some long standing posters/fans/figures would slate anyone who was obviously new to the music and had come to it via the rusko/student union path without accepting that everyone needs to start somewhere..
On which note this Ramadanman remix may be of interest to some of you, as it seems to have been a bit under the radar so far (ducks pro-wobble accusations);

http://www.xlr8r.com/mp3/2008/09/royale-sound-ramadanman-refix

john eden

male pale and stale
As a complete outsider and someone who has never had that much time for dubstep, I think the main problem wasn't people taking sides, but that they didn't take sides enough.

The matey chummy "unity" and protectionism of the scene was stifling.

Now it seems to me like everything is up in the air again. Which is great.

(and hello to all the new posters, feel free to disagree with me!)

The issue with newbies is a tricky one, nobody wants to diminish someone's enthusiasm. But for me, being a newbie around something is all about learning, absorbing the history and the vibes and the knowledge from people who have been around for time.

Getting shot down a few times is a small price to pay for immersing myself in something great.

Shonx

Shallow House
The matey chummy "unity" and protectionism of the scene was stifling.

There could have been untold opportunities for Emperor's New Clothes "how far can I push this before someone collars me" malarkey on there. Although some tunes I used to check out I thought must be taking the piss but seemed to sell big.

mos dan

fact music
As a complete outsider and someone who has never had that much time for dubstep, I think the main problem wasn't people taking sides, but that they didn't take sides enough.The matey chummy "unity" and protectionism of the scene was stifling.

this is why alex and i ended up getting fucked off with the forum c.06 - you couldn't say a critical word, because everyone was so keen to suck up up the ubermensch of the scene - some of whom posted there, some of whom didn't - that they'd defensively holler you down before you'd finished your sentence.

i think it's a glorious - and timely - opportunity for dubstep to spread its wings (i posted as much earlier on lower end spaz in fact).

sapphic_beats

Captain Crankypants
i have been thinking a lot about how to say what i am feeling about this move with DSF. i know that things have gotten a little weird with the massive influx of people, to the point that some of the "community" vibe has been lost, but growing pains happen, and the music is great (the diversification is nothing but a good thing in my eyes).

i, however, do not find this move to be "zenlike" as grievous angel put it. in fact, far from it. i have much respect for dubway for starting the forum, and for all the mods who use their free time to keep things sorted. and at the end of the day, i realize that the forum is dubway's so he can do what he likes.

what i do find frustrating is to build a place where such a community has risen up, to mostly positive ends (despite some of the whinging and aggro-ness that pops up from time to time), only to shut it down without a word of warning, for reasons that we can only speculate about right now. were it a move to upgrade the board or something technical, one would think they would say so, so we have nothing to do other than speculate that the reasons go far deeper. and this is where it gets hinky.

i mean, whether it's to teach us a lesson about how valuable the forum is to the dubstep "scene" or to tell the whingers and jerks to fuck off, either way, even if the intention is good, the move still comes off as petulant and (dare i say it) elitist. there have been a lot of accusations thrown about pertaining to the elitism, and so i don't want to throw that word around flippantly, but if either of those reasons play into this, that's exactly how it feels. "you are not acting up to our standards or appreciating the forum, so *yoink*. now you don't get it."

it's the action of a 3rd grader who doesn't get what he wants, so he says "i will take my ball and go home."

to build up a place that people not only enjoy, but consider the cornerstone of the global dubstep community, and then shut it down without warning is essentially playing god with a community that is now made up of 20,000 people, and not just one (or a handful). and that's why i used the word elitist. if no one in the community has any say over how the community works, but has to stand by and watch as someone else dictates the method and mode of the community's existence? that's not zenlike, that's hoarding the power over our heads.

there is always a certain balance that has to be maintained when owning/modding a community that has grown, and that includes incorporating the will and the needs of the entire community into the decisionmaking (i know not everyone shares that opinion, but that's the way i see online communities). in this case, i don't feel like anyone outside of the owner and mods had ANY power in said decisionmaking, even though we were all affected.

i say all this knowing that i have several good friends who are mods there, and i hope they know that i harbor no ill will towards them, but i am frustrated and a little disappointed in this decision. i am not saying any of this to slag anyone, more stating my thoughts for the record so maybe they will see a little different perspective should something like this ever come up again.

sorry for the novel. LOL. feel free to point out that i am taking this all way too seriously and should probably get a life. ;)

faustus

this is why alex and i ended up getting fucked off with the forum c.06 - you couldn't say a critical word, because everyone was so keen to suck up up the ubermensch of the scene - some of whom posted there, some of whom didn't - that they'd defensively holler you down before you'd finished your sentence.

regulatory capture :cool:

gremino

Moster Sirphine
Offtopic: I think these UK music styles, jungle, garage, dubstep, grime and funky are all the quite same music at the end of the day... They all has same kind of basslines (grime and funky being a bit expections whit their platic square basses, though funky seems to have lot of pure sine subs), same kind of abstract rhythms, and all of them has that certain feel of danger. Different names, but same music for me...

I think all these styles should be played in same night, especially now when this kind of period of transition is going on.

D

droid

One thing that everyone seems to overlook in these kinds of situations is that a forum is a shared resource - it is what it is not because of its owners, but because of the cumulative efforts of its contributors - and can legitimately be said to be as much the property of its contributors as those who pay the bills.

This kind of unilateral action is nothing less than an act of theft against those who have essentially created all the content and made the forum what it is - the members...

powerpill

I think all these styles should be played in same night, especially now when this kind of period of transition is going on.

to be fair, in the last few months i've seen dubstep, grime, funky, jungle, garage, techno etc all being played at fwd! just have to go to the right nights if your after a broad selection.

gremino

Moster Sirphine
to be fair, in the last few months i've seen dubstep, grime, funky, jungle, garage, techno etc all being played at fwd! just have to go to the right nights if your after a broad selection.
Ahh okay then! I don't live in UK so I really don't know about the situation in there...

One Louder

Wild Horses
It's truly a shame that such a move became, in the mods opinion, necessary.
But that being said, Dubway, Seckle, Boomnoise and all others who moderated deserve a vote of thanks for thier dedication.
There was a marked decline in the quality of posts, certainly, but it remained the first stop for any dubstep related news and in this sense, it'll be a big loss.
It does however, remove dubstep from the restrictions of the "What is...?" & "Thats not..." straightjackets frequently flung at it by less open minded fans etc, which with any luck is going to allow for more interesting music to be made...
I don't think dissensus is likely to suffer too much from now homeless DSFers migrating, they have dubstep exclusive....

elgato

I just dont know
seems to me that the move is quite a personal thing, which is maybe a bit understandable given how demanding and insulting some posters (and even a big-ish producer) were starting to become

i think droid's point is a very good one though

either way i think its probably a good thing for the music, dubstep (and a lot of other kinds of music) could maybe do with becoming a bit more disparate and a bit less organised / easily accessed

private messaging on there would be a very big loss for me though, lots of people i chat to through that who i don't have contact with elsewhere

i imagine it'll be back before long though

Last edited:

luca

Tracklist for the previous post

501- Circle Of Fire
Benny Page – Step Out
Dkay – Evacuate
Dekline - I Dont Smoke (Crissy Criss Remix)
Chase & Status - Eastern Jam
Ill Bill Batchelor VS B.U.N – Choppa
Rusko – Sound Guy Target
Jakes – Custard Cream
EL B feat rolla- Back With The sound
Tes La Rok - Do You Know The Future
501 - Insanity
Crissy Criss - The Devil
DKay - Lion Dub Remix
Kutz - Spaceman V.I.P
Gunjack - Tallin Evil Remix
Rusko – Mr Chips
501 - Dub You
Monkey - Badness
Ill Bill Batchelor VS B.U.N - Yorkshire Pudding
Crissy Criss - Soap Dodger
El B – Think Your Greezy
D Kay -These Sounds
501 – Get Back
12th Planet - C Sick
Kromestar - BadMan
Monkey – Jacket
Kutz - Distant Place
Mr Lager - Tell Me
Kutz -Boss
2nd II None – Waterfalls (Crissy Criss Remix)

http://www.zshare.net/audio/19905101e85d7ee3