Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I was shouting ''Play some dubstep'', it was definitely intended ironically :eek: I apologise, as always, for everything.

Was far far too drunk really, sambuca is not the one for personal dignity. I can remember approximately fuck all but I remember enjoying Blackdown and Dusk (that Silkie tune, the bullet ah bullet ah bullet bullet ah MUST FLY rmx) and boogying happily to Kode.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Ah forgot to mention, El-B was good too - was hoping to hear some of his house stuff but you can't go wrong with Serious/Buck N Bury etc. can you?

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
trapped in a dark bubble is dry in a good way, it sounds like absolutely nothing else. one of my favourite skream tunes

I just heard this after catching up on months of garbage Skream has apparently been putting out (not a single good tune on Skreamizm 5 as far as I'm concerned), so I was relieved to hear he's still got it somewhere in him. And then there is the La Roux remix of course.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
check this press release joy:

"*Country* based, *artist* first burst into Dubstep with his first remix for *act* and his *label*. Following up from this, *label* soon picked up on his broken, bass filled IDM style. Intellegent Dubstep has always been a sound pushing at the forefront of the scene, making you think about what your listening to, and keeping any party going through the early hours."

"Intellegent Dubstep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" :eek:

benjybars

village elder.
pretty sure the 'play some dubstep' heckles during kode9's set were ironic... actually think i heard the guy mention dissensus before he shouted it.. haha.

anyway he was incredible (kode, not the heckler. the heckler was average). whoever was talking about his mixing being dodgy needs to check themselves.

i thought flylo was SICK. so much noise (in a good way).

@ sick boy - no, no, no! Crazy D is a certified badman! fair enough if you mainly hear him on MP3 recordings, but live he always smacks it. I have never been to a rave that hasn't been improved by his arrival.

whoa, whoa, whoa.

;)

edit - just clocked Corpsey's post! cheeky monkey ;-)

Last edited:

Tanadan

likes things
check this press release joy:

"*Country* based, *artist* first burst into Dubstep with his first remix for *act* and his *label*. Following up from this, *label* soon picked up on his broken, bass filled IDM style. Intellegent Dubstep has always been a sound pushing at the forefront of the scene, making you think about what your listening to, and keeping any party going through the early hours."

"Intellegent Dubstep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" :eek:

In the Red Bull Academy interview thingy, Mala said how much he disliked press releases for colouring his perception of the music before he'd even heard it, and I thought that was a really good point - it's made me completely distrust written descriptions of music and pay more attention to how individual all our perceptions and responses are.

zhao

there are no accidents
anyway he was incredible (kode, not the heckler. the heckler was average). whoever was talking about his mixing being dodgy needs to check themselves.

again, since my last request was ignored, has anyone suggestions of good examples of Kode's diverse dj sets? thanks in advance.

mms

sometimes
In the Red Bull Academy interview thingy, Mala said how much he disliked press releases for colouring his perception of the music before he'd even heard it, and I thought that was a really good point - it's made me completely distrust written descriptions of music and pay more attention to how individual all our perceptions and responses are.

never read them until after i've listened to the music, you only need em for background on who wrote it usually.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
whoever was talking about his mixing being dodgy needs to check themselves.

@ sick boy - no, no, no! Crazy D is a certified badman! fair enough if you mainly hear him on MP3 recordings, but live he always smacks it. I have never been to a rave that hasn't been improved by his arrival.

1. I heard the recording and I stand by what I said. His selection is off the scale, and don't get me wrong I rate Kode very highly and his mixing has certainly improved, but it's still very spotty and not really a highlight. No train wrecks, but his mixing doesn't add much to his sets in the way that say, Joe Nice's or Youngsta's or N Type's (regardless of his poor choice in tracks) does. Kode is a selector through and through.

2. I have seen Crazy D perform at both FWD and DMZ and both times he was just as irritating as ever. Pokes or bust.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
To me Crazy D's voice is one of those fundamental sounds of dubstep, if that makes sense. On radio he's too repetitive but live he always adds a lot to whatever set he's on (to my ears). Him and Pokes are the best two by far.

Truesay if you had youngsta's mixing skills with kode's selection you'd have yourself a monster.

atoga

flylo's set is very nice, though a little scattershot & jumpy. it also completely changed my opinion of chainsaw calligraphy - i like the way he threw it in unexpected, zero buildup. so i suppose it does have a purpose.

does anyone know what the autotuned crying baby thing he drops is? simply too much

zhao said:
again, since my last request was ignored, has anyone suggestions of good examples of Kode's diverse dj sets? thanks in advance.
unsure if these are obvious, but:
2007 sonar mix
kode9 b2b flylo on rinse - classic and heavy on the wtf moments. it's from 2007 but there are loads of tracks that have yet to be released.
there's a really good 1hr mix from 2005 or so where he plays a bunch of sublow and dmz stuff, and i also remember there being mark one and macabre unit tracks on it, though i can't find it. i'm sure it's somewhere on the internet though?
see also: blackdown's blog

Last edited:

BareBones

wheezy
there was also a really good mix on his (kode9's) myspace a whiles back called "kode 9 and the space echo" which was basically loads of hip hop put through a space echo (obviously)... might still be up there

update: looks like it's not there after all

Last edited:

benjybars

village elder.
1. I heard the recording and I stand by what I said. His selection is off the scale, and don't get me wrong I rate Kode very highly and his mixing has certainly improved, but it's still very spotty and not really a highlight. No train wrecks, but his mixing doesn't add much to his sets in the way that say, Joe Nice's or Youngsta's or N Type's (regardless of his poor choice in tracks) does. Kode is a selector through and through.

ok, fair enough.

you're still completely wrong about Crazy D tho.. :p