UFO over easy

online mahjong
there are quite a lot of people doing stuff like it these days yeah. the recent dat:music compilation EPs on marcus intalex's label kind of showcase it

its not just half time, the thing most of this stuff reminds me of the most is early tech step stuff/krust in 97

i think one of the reasons its being interpreted like this is less because its genuinely half time and more because there's a space that gives you some room for different rhythmic interpretations. you can pick how you want to move to it, how you want to follow the groove. im sure it does owe a debt to dubstep but still.. here are some old and new tunes for you to check out

these are new

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

these two are from 97 or 98

the deep blue tune is from 2001 and the sileni is from 2004

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CRioFDGiPmE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CRioFDGiPmE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited:

viktorvaughn

RA interview with Scuba: http://www.residentadvisor.net/feature-read.aspx?id=1043

Interesting read, but I have to say isn't that ''we couldn't wait for the bulk of it to grow up and learn some sophisticated sound design techniques'' comment very telling/irritating?

In 2005 and 2006 ... Burial ...along with Kode9—seemed a sophisticated anomaly in a doom sea of "angry adolescent boy music."

What tosh! 05/06 Ant-war dub and Neverland angry adolescent boy music? bollocks.

Can't face reading that, seems a bit hagiographical at first glance.

Alfons

Way of the future
Have I missed a whole corner of D&B going half-step then?
I was only aware of Breakage and this lot.

I've actually always wondered whether halfstep dubstep was influenced by the dnb guys doing it (2000-2003 era Amit & Digital for instance, audio along with Icelandic ramblings on the subject: http://dansidans.com/2009/03/22/jutjub-miksteip-6-halfstephalf-tempo-drum-bass/)

Horror Show is generally accepted as the first halfstep tune right? Could tracks like deadline by digital and roots by amit have been an influence or source of ideas?

I would definitely say that there's been an increase in the halfstep type stuff in dnb in the last few years, probably due to dubsteps popularity byt also because guys like amit and breakage doing it very well. it's still dnb though imo.

mms

sometimes
I've actually always wondered whether halfstep dubstep was influenced by the dnb guys doing it (2000-2003 era Amit & Digital for instance, audio along with Icelandic ramblings on the subject: http://dansidans.com/2009/03/22/jutjub-miksteip-6-halfstephalf-tempo-drum-bass/)

Horror Show is generally accepted as the first halfstep tune right? Could tracks like deadline by digital and roots by amit have been an influence or source of ideas?

I would definitely say that there's been an increase in the halfstep type stuff in dnb in the last few years, probably due to dubsteps popularity byt also because guys like amit and breakage doing it very well. it's still dnb though imo.

i think it was more influenced by hip hop and grime at the time, there was a weird tension /assimilation

BareBones

wheezy
blimey, just got an email announcing a forthcoming Burial / Four Tet collaboration 12"

not the sort of thing i'd've though burial would be into but very interested to hear it...

Ory

warp drive
yeah it's been on SRD's release sheet for a while now. was surprised too that he'd work with an 'eclectronica' producer like four tet. seems like the polar opposite of everything he believes in musically.

mms

sometimes
yeah it's been on SRD's release sheet for a while now. was surprised too that he'd work with an 'eclectronica' producer like four tet. seems like the polar opposite of everything he believes in musically.

it it a collab though or just one side each?
i can't work it out.

Logos

Ghosts of my life
What I like about the little corner of dnb soldiering away is whilst they are clearly influenced by dubstep a lot of the d bridge, instramental etc stuff is genuinely an original spin on the 170bpm tempo. Its also satisfying to see the true hold-outs of the most written off genre amongst the musical cognoscenti coming back round to impress and influence. And fair play to fwd for having d bridge down too.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
blimey, just got an email announcing a forthcoming Burial / Four Tet collaboration 12"

not the sort of thing i'd've though burial would be into but very interested to hear it...

Four Tet always goes on about his love of rave music, has done 2-step tracks, etc. so it wasn't that surprising to me.

echevarian

babylon sister

As has been mentioned grime seems to have been a pivotal influence of halfstep.

Wonder, in particular seems to have been influential. What, right?

re: that scuba interview.

I'd rather hear angry adolescent boy music than dread full intellectual dysrythmia.

IMHO Klinik sucks balls too and so does the whole techno/dubstep cross over thing. While it might be revitalising techno, it's flushing dubstep down a berlin sewer. Scuba made better tunes when he was beefin with blackdown in the UK.

Boxcutter flirting with glitchy electrofunk or reso's over the top, balls out, breakstep workouts are way more fun.

hopper

Burial and Four Tet were both at Elliot together, so I guess they go back which is the reason for the collaboration I guess. I hope Four Tet ups his game for this release as he's been getting away with putting out some real crap recently. I hope the release is a collaboration.

I'm with people on here about the whole instra:mental style dnb at the moment, and I've never been particularly into jungle or d'n'b. There's some really heavy stuff being made by those guys, though at some times the tracks veer on corny a bit - wonder where especially. dBridge's set at the Martyn launch night at fwd really brought me onto the stuff. I hear Alix Perez has been doing some bits with ramandanman recently, would really like to hear the tracks - I heard one at one of the why not? nights a while back but can't remember it all too well - was sounding good though. DJ Flight is worth checking out as well, plays a nice mix of martyn style dubstep and instra:mental style d'n'b

Ory

warp drive
IMHO Klinik sucks balls too and so does the whole techno/dubstep cross over thing. While it might be revitalising techno, it's flushing dubstep down a berlin sewer. Scuba made better tunes when he was beefin with blackdown in the UK.

agreed. the timba/sleepa 12" is still the best thing he's done.

psherburne

Sorry, I just don't get this.

As for "Klinik" that's one of my favorite Scuba tracks yet. (But given my techno propensities, that's probably not so surprising to hear.)

Benny Bunter

RA interview with Scuba: http://www.residentadvisor.net/feature-read.aspx?id=1043

Interesting read, but I have to say isn't that ''we couldn't wait for the bulk of it to grow up and learn some sophisticated sound design techniques'' comment very telling/irritating?

The whole intro to that piece is very badly written.

I do quite like scuba though. Best thing I've heard is his remix of 'Pull of guilt' by Zen Militia.