BareBones

wheezy
Think Zomby should concentrate on suing this guy to be honest: It's a total rip off of The Lie, and to top it all off the cheeky bastard had the audacity to go back in time and release it 4 years ago. It's an outrage.

fuck me, didn't know about this tune. mental.

ricky L is pretty wicked, the few other tunes i've heard from him have all been great. 'Nothing but' is the one.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Oh and his whole not showing up for shows behavior... I have no idea what's really his case, but for what it's worth I once had an episode where I literally could not leave my room or pick up the phone, even to meet a very close friend just outside my building. It's called being fucking mental. Except I don't make endless raw tunes.... [just a few here and there ;)]

Hmm, in his case i think it's less of an agoraphobic episode than simple disrespect.

But anyways, lots of people who make great tunes are cunts, from Dylan down.

alex

Do not read this.
j_j used to make me laugh on dsf, he is a bit of a moaner, but he speaks alot of truuf!..

think its best that people take him with a pinch of salt, unsure what the newest contraversy is surrounding him (dotn watch the spelling, hangover), it gets a bit tedious from time to time mind you..

on another note, shortstuff was down @ bomb last night, as was spatial, both abselutly tore it, dubstep isnt over when spatial is still making tunes like his, abselutly fucked, although playing to an empty room, whilst the wobbleshit nights pack out, dont even get me started...

Inammi/Untold bootlegg is too much, wayyy to much...runaway

tom lea

But - and not to start the whole debate up over again - all of that music was already available via the youtube clips, it's not as if the guy leaked anything new. If anything he helped spread the previewing process further, it's free publicity for Zomby.

yeah but people are (understandably) precious about their own material. ben ufo is an infamously nice guy, but i bet if someone ripped the samples of the new hessle off their myspace, looped it, did a cack-handed remix job and put it on their blog as a free download he wouldn't be that happy.

To keep this scene exiting:

I'd favour more of the creative, rabid extroverts and less of the pleasant conformists.
agreed.

on another note, shortstuff was down @ bomb last night, as was spatial, both abselutly tore it, dubstep isnt over when spatial is still making tunes like his, abselutly fucked, although playing to an empty room, whilst the wobbleshit nights pack out, dont even get me started...
Inammi/Untold bootleg is too much, wayyy to much...runaway
shortstuff is ridiculously on it right now, him, brackles, kemp and pearce all seem to be. i actually find tunes like lhc miles more psychedelic than coki's stuff.

what's the inammi bootleg? if it's inammiconda then hell's gonna break loose when i hear it out.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
yeah but people are (understandably) precious about their own material.
It seems a bit rich coming from someone who's up to their ears in rave culture, though. I mean, where would we be if the Winstons had been precious about their own material? It's all in the game, innit?

alex

Do not read this.
nah its some new untold, err, the grime sounding one?? (narrows it down a bit)

sounds like a devil mix, dont know the name of it still, have heard it a few times..

lol @ innamiconda btw

I think that the 133-137 bass/funky/post dubstep (urgh) sounding stuff is so much FWD>> right now...

even though people may disagree, but after discussing it last night, the 140-145 template of things, although there is room to work with, the rhythm's and tempo of the 130-140 are so much more fitting to the sonic progression that has evolved recently..

one tune that is really doing alot for me right now is Mosca - Square One, must get signed...

mms

sometimes
it's free publicity for Zomby.
[/I].

oh wow free publicity.

yes he really did him a favour by doing a cack mix and posting it without permission. He has every right to ask for him to take it down without the guy answering back to him. He got pissed off, that's true, but i can imagine that being pretty annoying really.
There are alot of other things he could have done to show he was a fan of zomby's music.

Last edited:

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
yeah but people are (understandably) precious about their own material. ben ufo is an infamously nice guy, but i bet if someone ripped the samples of the new hessle off their myspace, looped it, did a cack-handed remix job and put it on their blog as a free download he wouldn't be that happy.

Tbh I'm not quite what you mean to prove by this. Ben might be annoyed I suppose. You'd have to ask him really. ;)
But anyway, don't mean to sound like I'm having a go; my personal stance is that if (a) the tune is is the public domain in some way or another and (b) you're not actually giving peope free access to the whole thing, then in a certain sense it's fair game.
I appreciate some may see it differently, but for me it's about being consistent in my actions. I've got plenty of mixes downloaded featuring unreleased material, and whilst some of that will have been sent to the dj as dubs for promotional purposes, some won't. Or again, has Oneman been asking everybody involved's express permission about all those blends we've been enjoying so much? Maybe, but I kind of doubt it.
Obviously I'm going on a hunch with no figures to back it up (not sure if any stats would even be available here), but I reckon this sort of pre-release does more good than harm to eventual sales. Anybody who has any degree of serious interest in the music isn't likely to be satisfied with some 1-2 minute clip of a tune over being able to own and hear the full thing on its own.

alex

Do not read this.
'stop what yr doing' maybe. quite a lot of ppl are playing that out

yea think it is, I was asking s/stuff's bro, but he didnt know either, before he ran it, he played the normal version & he was like, mickey pearce has dun a bootlegg of this & innami, then he dropped it, hype ensued.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
oh wow free publicity.

yes he really did him a favour by doing a cack mix and posting it without permission.

Yeah, but the context in which it was posted makes it very clear that the actual mixing wasn't done by Zomby, so it's not as if this aspect is going to reflect badly on him
Once again, to me it is beneficial in helping get people more familiar with the music: instead of having to search for each clip individually on youtube whenever they wanted to hear them, they could have had access to them as a single download. And hopefully such increased familiarity would help reinforce people's appreciation of the music.
But I sense that there isn't much to be gained by arguing about this at great length.
(Btw, I'm not claiming that Zomby wasn't within his rights to ask the guy to take the mix down. Of course he was).

hopper

I reckon zomby is just a big attention seeker, by acting like an idiot and getting rude he's getting everyone talking about him - and tonnes more blog posts than he probably ordinarily would. I think he knows how to play a publicity game pretty well....

alex

Do not read this.
i swear he cant mix anyway??

I mean obviously if he gave the guy the tunes anyway it wouldnt have mattered surely?? its just the fact they were radio-rips/myspace rips & he posted them up in a mix without permiss..is why he is on the blob

BareBones

wheezy
To keep this scene exiting:

I'd favour more of the creative, rabid extroverts and less of the pleasant conformists.

i get what you're saying but rude doesn't necessarily equal extroverted. plenty of people can make wicked music without acting all douchebaggy, doesn't mean they're "conformists".

routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
soon as i heard The Lie i thought it was a rework/ripoff of that Ricky L track and tbh i did wonder at the time why there wasn't any chat about it.. both great tunes.. if Zomby is putting something out there as promo he should know that it's fair game.. GenerationBass wasn't selling his mix, was he?!

maaan i hope the imammi thing is 'Stop what you're doing'... :confused: