continuum

smugpolice
anyone know what the track is at 1:40?

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

gumdrops

i know dubstep ppl are vinyl obsessives but cant they ever just do a high quality single (ie cheaper) vinyl pressing? i dont think it would compromise the quality THAT much. ramadanman one should be really good if its got the stuff ive been hearing on radio lately.

benjybars

village elder.
i know dubstep ppl are vinyl obsessives but cant they ever just do a high quality single (ie cheaper) vinyl pressing? i dont think it would compromise the quality THAT much

as opposed to what?

shit, imagine Loefah - DMZLP002 .. haha this mala news has made me proper greedy.. i feel like any of my fantasy vinyl releases might now come true. :slanted:

gumdrops

as opposed to triple and double packs which can be about £10-12.

the ramadanman tracks id like are tempest and glut.

gumdrops

would a single lp really sound shit though? i have lots of lps with 45 mins worth of music on them that sound just fine. i should prob do a comparison of tracks on lp with the singles just to check (i know the grooves are wider/a bit louder etc but still...). i like having more vinyl though so i prob shouldnt really complain.

benjybars

village elder.
nah six tunes on one piece of vinyl would be a MASSIVE drop in sound quality. especially with music like mala's.
it's like that Grime 2 comp on Rephlex - big tunes, shit sound quality.

yeah that ramadanman release looks very tatsy indeed.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
would a single lp really sound shit though? i have lots of lps with 45 mins worth of music on them that sound just fine. i should prob do a comparison of tracks on lp with the singles just to check (i know the grooves are wider/a bit louder etc but still...). i like having more vinyl though so i prob shouldnt really complain.

low frequencies have larger wavelengths so when you squash the grooves together for more tracks you get less and less sub every minute after you break the 7-10min mark.

samdiamond

yeah, i've noticed this. for a lot of the dnb stuff i've been buying recently there's only ever one track on each side. Confused/interested as to stuff like how thick vinyl is etc effects the sound, i don't think i'll ever have a complete grasp of the ins and outs of vinyl pressing. can't wait for the new ramadanman - the pangaea double pack sounds incredible

samdiamond

anyone know what the track is at 1:40?

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>
i think it's Headhunter & Invisible - Luvdup

alex

Do not read this.
Thanks for that little tidbit Blackdown, explains why ‘tippa’ by skream on the s/side dubstars, is such a fucking shit low press, albeit a sick tune.

rwtt

On that topic, has anyone read Steve Goodman (aka kode9)'s book Sonic Warfare: Sound, Affect, and the Ecology of Fear?

i read it. the bits that i liked i really, really liked but i don't have the philosophical / academic grounding to do the bulk of it any justice. i could parse the sentences without too much bother (although they're willfully dense) but failed utterly to understand why much of what he said was in any way significant. NB this is obviously a failing of mine, rather than of the book. none of this was unexpected and i had my eyes open before i bought it, but i do wonder how many kode9 fanboys (of which i'm one) will buy this book expecting some accessible jon ronson style cool stuff and end up disappointed and alienated three pages in.

on the plus side it opened me up to a huge world of reading - starting with a guide to critical theory that was almost entirely pictures - now i'm onto foucault and getting a heck of a lot out of that. baby steps. i plan to return to sonic warfare when i'm better intellectually equipped to appreciate or criticise it!