War in Pakistan

josef k.

Dangerous Mystagogue
Q1: Is there a relation between the 'stans and the 'chans?

Q2: Do the 'stans have any relationship to 'stn, the root of the devil? And, what about the US. The "US"...

Q3: Who is /b/? Is Obama /b/?

Q4: And with the game tied going into the fourth quarter...

polystyle

Pakistan has maybe this summer into fall to get it's act together.
What is their act though ?

Their army keeps looking in India's direction,
US is looking at Afghan / Pak border.
Taliban have rallied all kinds of groups in together , supported to some extent by Pak Intelligence Service.
Swat valley's gone Shariah , a beautiful place but gone now.
No victory coming there.

The US has ordered a bunch of new Predator and the newer, heavier armed model drones.
Side effect of drone attacks is they have pushed many radical tribal area types South into cities.
If Iraq was the 'lab' ( for all sides ) for past 6 years,
Afghanistan is up next as 'lab' and just heating up in time for tribal areas action(s) ...
Pakistan to split 3 ways is something I have heard lately.

Just in : http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/18/world/asia/18pstan.html?_r=1&hp

Last edited by a moderator:

vimothy

yurp
It's quite a problem. Perhaps this not a fight, given the political realities, that can be won...

What's your source for the drones affecting radical migration to southern cities? Not heard that before.

polystyle

One source as I recall was CNN's recent special on Swat Valley going Shariah,
but I also got that word last weekend about fallout from what sounds like effective drone action from my brother who is in US Airforce, he in turn got it from other pilots back from Afghanistan.

vimothy

yurp
On Sunday, Rahm Emanuel, the White House chief of staff, said on the ABC News program “This Week” that “those who devised policy” also “should not be prosecuted.” But administration officials said Monday that Mr. Emanuel had meant the officials who ordered the policies carried out, not the lawyers who provided the legal rationale.

Three Bush administration lawyers who signed memos, John C. Yoo, Jay S. Bybee and Steven G. Bradbury, are the subjects of a coming report by the Justice Department’s ethics office that officials say is sharply critical of their work. The ethics office has the power to recommend disbarment or other professional penalties or, less likely, to refer cases for criminal prosecution.

The administration has also not ruled out prosecuting anyone who exceeded the legal guidelines, and officials have discussed appointing a special prosecutor. One option might be giving the job to John H. Durham, a federal prosecutor who has spent 15 months investigating the C.I.A.’s destruction of videotapes of harsh interrogations.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/21/us/politics/21intel.html?hp

vimothy

yurp
I've been reading this, which is recommended, the story of a terrible betrayal:

...A dramatic story: big news. Wounded in a firefight in Faisalabad, Pakistan, shot in the stomach, groin, and thigh after jumping from a roof in a desperate attempt to escape. Massive bleeding. Rushed to a military hospital in Lahore. A trauma surgeon at Johns Hopkins awakened by a late-night telephone call from the director of central intelligence and flown in great secrecy to the other side of the world. The wounded man barely escapes death, slowly stabilizes, is shipped secretly to a military base in Thailand. Thence to another base in Afghanistan. Or was it Afghanistan?

Fuck.