MIA - kala

Guybrush

Dittohead
I was just listening to MAW the other day, it's damn good! I can up the rest of the albums at home.

Cool, I luuuv MAW. They meant so much to me during my formative years , in every possible way. *deserves their own thread* ¨Love Guide'0 was the song I was thinkinh f when I thought of alternative Switch productions that sound a bit MI.A-esque but with better rapping. Aceness. I still withold that much of the first album does not sound so hot once you now what a wealth of stuff has been produced in a similar vein, before and after. Sunshower -- yeah, didn't Ghostface Killah saple it too? August Darnell rules. So Bird Flu and Boyz are switch productions? ahem, ok sorry merely gueswork on my behalf. Credit to Switch, then, for changing his style. I'm glad to hear you are spellbound by the jihadists too, Gavin, and great article.

Eric

Mr Moraigero
A kind of Japanese MIA thing?

Better flow though IMO. Japanese dubstep(py) guys on production---Goth-Trad, skyfish, etc.

edit: I take it back. She is not much like MIA at all.

Last edited:

Eric

Mr Moraigero
Death metal is big in Asia though... according to my former prof it is like the official protest music of Indonesia.

I don't know about protest music but when I was in Sumatra every longhaired kid was wearing Slayer or Cannibal Corpse tshirts.

petergunn

plywood violin
One thing I always wonder about people who love her is: do they know that the chorus to Sunshowers (which is the song that initially blew me away) is lifted from Dr. Buzzard's Original Savannah Band? When I realized that I was like, eh. She didn't even write the only good hook on the album!

and Ghostface stole it 3 years before!

("ghost showers")

you know what?

I'm not a fan but she's fun for the most part

obv just don't take her seriously...she doesn't represent the 'third' world or femininity for example

some good posts in this thread though

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Yep.

am feeling your "Red Sox Nation don't panic" post... WTF is up w/ Gagne tho? i was all psyched to have a quebecois cat on the team to tie in w/ my burgeoning obsession w/ french canadian music and damned if the guy can't go an inning w/o letting up a run...

He did strike out the side today and helped the Sox get the walk-off win in the 9th on a night when the Yankees lost 12-0 to Baltimore. I've lived on the Earth for 32 years and I've been a Bostonian and a Red Sox fan for all of them. I have literally seen it all baseball wise. I'm sick of the doom and gloom/pessimistic outlook. Boston is the home of champions now. Let's act like it. One.

trouc

trouc
Hmm, I thought Arular

was awful, but "Paper Planes" has me totally sold on Kala.

Also, Poisonous, I've seen you floating around over at Free Darko, no ?

DJ PIMP

Have seen this described as "Bhangra Space Crunk" elsewhere...
dongqy7.gif