kids these days

Eric

Mr Moraigero
how hard is hitting "too hard"? should you need stitches? should you need a blood transfusion?

where did that come from?

isn't he talking about something like a spank, which is intended to convey to the child that (s)he is out of line, vs something designed to actually inflict damage?

nomad seems to be slinging random punches like daiki kameda with this one

bassnation

the abyss
there are so many gunshot wound victims at the hospital near me that you have to wait in line at the ER for hours and hours and hours.

nevertheless, crime has STEADILY gone down by almost every estimate since the late 1970s

well, i did say all i have is anecdotal.

but iirc, crime has gone down in the uk, but violent crime is up. i don't have any links tho.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
where did that come from?

isn't he talking about something like a spank, which is intended to convey to the child that (s)he is out of line, vs something designed to actually inflict damage?

nomad seems to be slinging random punches like daiki kameda with this one

My God, someone who actually understands what I'm getting at! Thankyou so much!
Here, have a pat on the back (not too hard though, I wouldn't want to break your spine or anything. :D)

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
well, i did say all i have is anecdotal.

but iirc, crime has gone down in the uk, but violent crime is up. i don't have any links tho.

This is certainly the impression I'm getting. All recorded crime has fallen by something like a third since 1995, and it may even be the case that overall levels of violent crime are remaining steady or slowly falling, but this particular kind of really nasty violent crime, often committed by kids, does seem to be on the increase.

Of course you always have to be wary of media scare stories and hype, but at the same time it's stupid to bury your head in the sand and deny that anything's going on when even a level-headed analysis of the situation indicates a serious and growing problem.

Eric

Mr Moraigero
My God, someone who actually understands what I'm getting at! Thankyou so much!

I have kids, you see, so I know there are times that reasoning breaks down. Hopefully no one will now call me a child abuser :D

Don't kill me!

I occasionally give my kids a swat on the butt when they are a) being uncooperative, b) it is willful and c) other methods of negotiation have been exhausted. There is no permanent damage or even temporary damage other than shock---creating that is the point. It lets everyone reevaluate their position.

bassnation

the abyss
Of course you always have to be wary of media scare stories and hype, but at the same time it's stupid to bury your head in the sand and deny that anything's going on when even a level-headed analysis of the situation indicates a serious and growing problem.

when its happening to friends its hard to put it down as a scare story thats the problem.

vimothy

yurp
It's obviously not a scare story - you only have to walk down the wrong road or past the wrong group of people to experience it.

Mr. Tea said:
Yes, mum! Sorry, mum!

tht said:
chastisement fantasies

enough said

From
spanking-cupid-small.jpg
To??
dominatrix1.jpg

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
when its happening to friends its hard to put it down as a scare story thats the problem.

Oh sure: just because a problem is exaggerated by some people, it doesn't mean there isn't a problem at all, or that it isn't devastating for the people it genuinely affects.

N

nomadologist

It's obviously not a scare story - you only have to walk down the wrong road or past the wrong group of people to experience it.

See, what's hilarious about this is the fucking assumption that poor, uneducated people DON'T spank or hit, and that's why their children are out of line and carry guns, act violently, etc.

FIVE MINUTes on the subway in NY will cure you of this delusion. Come over sometime, I'll pay for your trip.

Eric: The point I was making is that it's important that laws exist to protect children (who can't protect themselves from humans who are up to 10 times bigger than they are) from those who don't reign in their swatting or limit it to "light taps on the ass".

vimothy

yurp
See, what's hilarious about this is the fucking assumption that poor, uneducated people DON'T spank or hit, and that's why their children are out of line and carry guns, act violently, etc.

As far as I'm concerned spanking has pretty much nothing to do with it, one way or the other.

FIVE MINUTes on the subway in NY will cure you of this delusion.

What delusion?

Come over sometime, I'll pay for your trip.

Great - PM me and I'll forward you the details of my paypal account.

N

nomadologist

As far as I'm concerned spanking has pretty much nothing to do with it, one way or the other.

Our friend Mr. Tea did.

I don't use paypal. Where would you like to stay? How about Brownville? Canarsie? hehehe

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
This is certainly the impression I'm getting. All recorded crime has fallen by something like a third since 1995, and it may even be the case that overall levels of violent crime are remaining steady or slowly falling, but this particular kind of really nasty violent crime, often committed by kids, does seem to be on the increase.

All this "seeming" and impression-making... what could be the cause of that?

Oh, I see you're even dimly aware at how the media exaggerates violent crime, but let's not let that dissuade you from holding tightly to your preconceived and unjustified prejudices, because obviously those are independent from media impression-making. In fact, it's reasonable to portray anyone who doubts youth crime as burying their head in the sand and committing the supreme offense of not being level-headed. I think you're right that this position is going to have few supporters on this kind of forum.

We could also check statistical measurements to see what they say.

British Crime Survey:

Violent crime accounted for 14% of all recorded crime yet over the past five years violent crime has fallen by 22%, domestic burglary is down by 39%, and vehicle crime is down by 26%.

BCS_Violence_06.gif

In 2005/06, 3.4% of people experienced a violent incident. In just under half (49%) of all such incidents there was no injury.

Of course, there are allegations that the British Crime Survey may be underreporting its figures, much like other crimes are being drastically underreported:

In December 2005 President Bush said there were 30,000 Iraqi dead. White House spokesman Scott McClellan later said it was "not an official government estimate", and was based on media reports.

It just SEEMED to the President that there were only about 30,000 dead according to media reports, really only the size of small midwestern city. I remember the hard swallow he made before he said the number.

An October 12, 2006 San Francisco Chronicle article reported: "Asked at the news conference what he thinks the number is now, Bush said: 'I stand by the figure a lot of innocent people have lost their life.' At a separate Pentagon briefing, Gen. George Casey, the top U.S. commander in Iraq, said that the [Lancet] figure 'seems way, way beyond any number that I have seen. I've not seen a number higher than 50,000. And so I don't give it that much credibility at all'."

These tricky seeming numbers! It makes me want to just hide my head in the sand!

vimothy

yurp
All this "seeming" and impression-making... what could be the cause of that?

Oh, I see you're even dimly aware at how the media exaggerates violent crime, but let's not let that dissuade you from holding tightly to your preconceived and unjustified prejudices, because obviously those are independent from media impression-making. In fact, it's reasonable to portray anyone who doubts youth crime as burying their head in the sand and committing the supreme offense of not being level-headed. I think you're right that this position is going to have few supporters on this kind of forum.

We could also check statistical measurements to see what they say.

Come on Gavin - it's quite clear that those statistics could hide a variety of things. For one, we're talking about violence and young people, not violent crime over-all. For another, total violent crime, depite falling from its 1993 high, is actually still up from the 1984 low. I don't think your graph really proves anything, it just gives you a good opportunity to make a partisan point about Iraq.

N

nomadologist

what's wrong with partisan points? you make them all the time