kids these days

N

nomadologist

Hanging out with Nomadologist's rich / poor, drug-dealing gangster / CEO friends in New York will be brilliant. Now if I can only make it onto her ignore list with Mr Tea, it will be the perfect Chrismas present ...

Done.

N

nomadologist

Mr. Tea, you are on ignore. Every once in a while I hit the button that says "view post" if I think there may be some merit in something you wrote. Which is not often. You're sort of on "time out"--it's like getting a spanking, but without the violence.

Eric

Mr Moraigero
Mr. Tea, you are on ignore. Every once in a while I hit the button that says "view post" if I think there may be some merit in something you wrote. Which is not often. You're sort of on "time out"--it's like getting a spanking, but without the violence.

if I ignored my kids except when I arbitrarily decided there might be some merit in whatever they might have been saying, they would be much more damaged than they would be by any spanking ...

N

nomadologist

that was not the point. the point was that if you put your kids in "time out" and let them cool down, maybe take away some privileges, they learn a much more realistic model of how the negative consequences of one's actions work in the world

Eric

Mr Moraigero
someone finally says what the point was!!! thought I was on ignore mode too :)

questions

a) have you tried this yourself?

b) what do you do if the child does not respect the `time out' you impose?

c) what do you do in a situation where time outs are not possible or just massively impractical?

not saying that you are all necessarily wrong but some of you (assuming people getting on hi-horses here don't have kids themselves due to lack of response? dont know about that) seem like paper drivers working from the backseat ...

N

nomadologist

i used to babysit for my lawyer who has SEVEN kids (two of whom were twins around the age of two-three at the time). i did this for a year or so when i was a teen, and I easily controlled them and kept them happy and safe with time outs only.

so boohoo about having one or two kids who has a fit. you're supposed to ignore them, otherwise you validate them and the child emotionally manipulates YOU.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
if I ignored my kids except when I arbitrarily decided there might be some merit in whatever they might have been saying, they would be much more damaged than they would be by any spanking ...

Haha, I'm imagining you treating your hapless six-year-old the way Jeremy Clarkson treats someone who's just buzzed in and interrupted him with a really stupid answer.

Eric

Mr Moraigero
yes OK. it is different to babysit someone else's kids and to have your own; in the one case you are working with structure someone else has imposed and in the other you have to start the training from zero.

but yes, you're right in this sense: spanking etc are not essential in childrearing, just convenient, and IMO despite it all not permanently damaging.

boohoo ...

IdleRich

IdleRich
"way Jeremy Clarkson treats someone who's just buzzed in and interrupted him with a really stupid answer."
Surely you mean someone who has just cut in front of him on a push-bike... or do you mean Jeremy Paxman?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Surely you mean someone who has just cut in front of him on a push-bike... or do you mean Jeremy Paxman?

Hahaha! Shit, I hadn't noticed that at all. Confusing my Jeremies in the worst possible way there.

Perhaps they should have Clarkson present a special one-off game of Uni Challenge. All the questions would be about cars or why global warming is good for us and whenever someone gets one wrong he'd go off with his "That's about as wrong as ...[insert sub-Blackadder ridiculously-overwrought-simile]" schtick.

swears

preppy-kei
Well, I was always spoken to as an adult, I appreciated that. Funny how my folks treated me with more respect at ten years old than various bosses I've worked for as an adult.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
So much trouble is made by people treating children like adults and treating adults like children.