"R'n'B" recommendations PLEASE!?

gumdrops

it's basically a musical sold without the musical stage-show.

that is spot on. i like parts of that album like say you will and locked inside (both very R&B tracks, and prob my two favourite songs on there, next to sir greendown), and i think the whole artifice is very deliberate, and actually refreshing (and of course what appeals to all the easy bait rock critics who love that stuff rather than someone who sounds like they mean what they sing, cos yknow, how could anyone mean the drivel that passes for r&b lyrics these days right?), but too much of the record is just anonymous sounding. her image and high concept are both fab but the music lacks much of that same identity. some of it is actually woefully generic at times, esp when she goes into rock mode. hopefully that will come with time. but she has a great voice and on stage shes a pretty special performer. just shame about a fair amount of the material.

but the thing about drawing the r&b vs fake or critical darling r&b battle lines is where is the great 'straight' R&B to put up against monae (not that her album is even half as good as critics seem to think) at the moment? i dont know. i know its not cassie or ciara. whos the standard bearer? R&B is basically pop these days and there is non pop stuff like jazmine sullivan that i like on principle but it doesnt quite come up to par imo. i shd prob pay more attention than i do though.

r kellys not feeling the love isnt bad. it was written for michael jackson apparently - you can tell. though i think mj would have spruced it up a bit.

theres a good r kelly interview by will oldham on interview magazines site btw. he says hes going to make his next album 12 play: night of the living dead. which could be a first for necro-R&B or something.

Last edited:

CrowleyHead

Those are all really good points. I think there's a weird sort of fracture in pop... There's stuff that's completely musically stale, but obvious success (The Will.I.Am/Guetta sort of faction) and then there's stuff that's musically adventurous, but never guaranteed commercial successes (The Bangladesh/Danja/Polow Da Don field). And then the singers flirt with everyone and everyone because they're mercenary at best... Nobody's tried to define a sound except, oddly enough, Drake. And he's not even SUPPOSED to be an R&B singer... But you have people running to 40/Boi 1da for the 'Drake' sound and Drake penning songs for Alicia Keys. Who knows who else might be running to him...

But as far as a real definitive R&B star? I couldn't quite say... A lot of it is semi-political and transient. Like, Chris Brown had an awful start to last year, and when they put out Jason Derulo, you could tell it was because the industry was trying to fill a void. Then "Deuces" happened, and over-night, the world forgave him. And we KNOW Trey Songz was someone who benefited from that void, not to mention R. Kelly's troubles. The quality of his songs has gone up with those last two albums, but it's not like... It's not as if the first three albums were that less and these were greater...

gumdrops

what happened to that k michelle album? i really liked falling and bitch out of me. hope the albums as good as the singles so far. i know shes got mixtapes but R&B artists really shouldnt do mixtapes IMO - that sort of bang it out in a day approach doesnt work like it does for hip hop.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Seriously what is this Janelle Monae bollocks? Like, I understand that she looks a marionette-clown designed by Tim Burton and dances like a leprechaun and gets Big Boi in her videos, but if you close your eyes it's actually really boring, commercial, nu-soul garbage.

stephenk

gumdrops

it's actually really boring, commercial, nu-soul garbage.

except it isn't. theres barely any soul on it. and the tracks that are 'nu soul' like say youll go, are actually the best on there (i know its trendy to hate on non mainstream sounding r&b but whatever - i still like neo soul, well the good stuff anyway, who cares if it isnt state of the art). this is more like 5th dimension or rotary connection than straight up R&B/soul. but my main beef with her is that her production is quite generic. plus its just too long. the album would be better in fact if it ran like this -

3. "Faster"
4. "Locked Inside"
5. "Sir Greendown"
7. "Tightrope" (not featuring Big Boi - ideally a studio version cut like the letterman performance would be best)
9. "Oh, Maker"
10. "Come Alive (War of the Roses)"
13. "Neon Valley Street"
16. "57821" (featuring Deep Cotton)
17. "Say You’ll Go"

the song with on montreal i sort of like but the guys voice bugs me. i do like wondaland too but the production is like over-busy/sugary 90s r&b. i think id make them hidden tracks. diddy needs to employ me.

Last edited:

craner

Beast of Burden
So what were the very best R&B songs of the 00s? There must be a lot of good ones. I can think of:

Amerie - 1 thing
Mariah - we belong together
Cassie - Me & You
Mary J Blige - Be Without You
Christin Milian - Say I
R Kelly - Ignition
Usher - Burn
Jagged Edge - walked outta heaven
Chris Brown - Excuse me miss
Ciara - 1, 2 Step or Oh
Nivea ft R Kelly - Laundromat
Ashanti - Foolish or Mesmerize or Always on Time or Rock With You (Ashanti was great!)
Twista - Slow jamz
Keyshia Cole - let it go
Tweet - Oh My

Those were my favorites, although I'm sure I forgot some big ones.

craner

Beast of Burden
Ahhh, there are some fantastic songs there. We measure out our lives in good R&B songs, not coffee spoons. I used to sing 'Burn' in the shower during the years I was carrying around a broken heart. Always a very masculine display of emotion.

craner

Beast of Burden
I always had a soft spot for Usher because even though he was a global megastar at the age of 15, he lost his virginity to the primmest member of TLC when he was 21, and then she dumped him so he made a whole album about how she had destroyed his life.

craner

Beast of Burden
Watching those old Christina Milian videos, I can't help thinking she was an industry practice run for Rhianna.

craner

Beast of Burden
One of the big themes of 00s R&B seems to be tiny, delicate, super-pretty girls hanging out with complete roughnecks.