crackerjack

Or just unmotivated. Seemed like most people hadn't realised there was a Euro qualifier on and that included the England team.

But to follow up your original point, how many of those players appear for clubs who'd be happy with their season's work? Hart, Baines (eventually), Rio. I'd include Milner, but City's late improvement seemed to coincide with his marginalisation.

hucks

Your Message Here
Or just unmotivated. Seemed like most people hadn't realised there was a Euro qualifier on and that included the England team.

But to follow up your original point, how many of those players appear for clubs who'd be happy with their season's work? Hart, Baines (eventually), Rio. I'd include Milner, but City's late improvement seemed to coincide with his marginalisation.

Parker? I think you're right about Milner - City were far better with him on the bench. Speaking of which, look at England's bench today - Crouch, Jagielka, Zamora, Green, plus the three who came on. Mediocre.

crackerjack

Parker? I think you're right about Milner - City were far better with him on the bench. Speaking of which, look at England's bench today - Crouch, Jagielka, Zamora, Green, plus the three who came on. Mediocre.

But Parker captained a side that got relegated. I appreciate he was the one bright spark, but he can't really feel good about his season until he signs on the dotted for a new club.

crackerjack

Big worry at the moment is the lack of options upfront, now that Tottenham are wholly reliant on VdV. Hope Sturridge spends this season playing regularly for a top 8 team.

don_quixote

Trent End
i think everyone is being incredibly incredibly harsh on joe hart.

1) the ball should not be allowed to bounce in your penalty area from a free kick. this is totally the defenders fault. joe hart shouldn't be coming for it. it's a perfect free kick by the way, and i've seen chris cohen score goals like this twice this season, right in the, to borrow a phrase from cricket, "corridor of uncertainty". hart doesnt know whether to dive until it's too late.

2) if milner hadnt moved then it wouldnt go in. how this is considered a mess by joe hart i do not know.

Phaedo

Cappello's selections seem totally baffling to me. England have great young talent atm, who definitely seem to be up to the for job in the future. Why are all these aging overrated players being relied on so much?

I'd like to see people like Jack Roddwell, Kieran Gibbs, Danny Sturridge, Chris Smalling ect. coming through. No point faffing about with players that are gonna retire in a couple of years or whatever when we have good youth prospects. Wilshere is playing every England player off the park atm and before this season he was barely playing at all. Shows something I'd say..

crackerjack

Cappello's selections seem totally baffling to me. England have great young talent atm, who definitely seem to be up to the for job in the future. Why are all these aging overrated players being relied on so much?

I'd like to see people like Jack Roddwell, Kieran Gibbs, Danny Sturridge, Chris Smalling ect. coming through. No point faffing about with players that are gonna retire in a couple of years or whatever when we have good youth prospects. Wilshere is playing every England player off the park atm and before this season he was barely playing at all. Shows something I'd say..

This wasn't a friendly - they've still got a qualification group to win. You can't do that with a team of subs.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
This wasn't a friendly - they've still got a qualification group to win. You can't do that with a team of subs.

Might be able to do it with a team of Wilsheres though. Just as well (for England, I don't really support them, or only when they're playing good stuff) that Montenegro couldn't beat Bulgaria.

Phaedo

I think the younger players would show most of this older generation up, if we are playing a team which doesnt have the ability to beat Switzerland (I know they played well but still) then I think maybe we should just build for the future and forget half of the players being selected atm.

crackerjack

Might be able to do it with a team of Wilsheres though. Just as well (for England, I don't really support them, or only when they're playing good stuff) that Montenegro couldn't beat Bulgaria.

We all dream of a team of Jack Wilsheres. Perhaps then we'll be able to overcome the might of Montenegro.

crackerjack

2) if milner hadnt moved then it wouldnt go in. how this is considered a mess by joe hart i do not know.

Having seen it again I don't fully agree. Obviously Milner was mostly to blame, but Hart still shouldn't be beaten at his near post from that range and angle.

The first one was a keeper's nightmare - guess wrong, and you're made to look stupid whichever way you go. Nothing he could do.

e/y

none of the other young English players are close to Wilshere's level. Gibbs is a fairly promising player, but he can't even get ahead of Clichy, who is not very good (though seems like a nice guy, fwiw).

crackerjack

So looks like you're getting Bennett after all, Hucks. We've just broken our 30-yr-old transfer record on his replacement, Will Buckley (hopefully not the Obs journalist).

Webchat that EB's fee could be as much as £1.7m - that's the price of Prem promotion for you.

hucks

Your Message Here
So looks like you're getting Bennett after all, Hucks. We've just broken our 30-yr-old transfer record on his replacement, Will Buckley (hopefully not the Obs journalist).

Webchat that EB's fee could be as much as £1.7m - that's the price of Prem promotion for you.

I thought we bid about that much in the transfer window? We definitely offered around £2.5 for MacKail Smith from Posh. Good business from Brighton if the price has risen- you couldn't risk not going up with the new stadium to fill. How good is Bennett, then?

Will Buckley from the Obs is a Norwich fan so that would make nice circular sense.

crackerjack

I thought we bid about that much in the transfer window? We definitely offered around £2.5 for MacKail Smith from Posh. Good business from Brighton if the price has risen- you couldn't risk not going up with the new stadium to fill. How good is Bennett, then?

Will Buckley from the Obs is a Norwich fan so that would make nice circular sense.

Think it was "up to" £1m in Jan, so a nice bit of add-on for us. Bennett's tops - definitely one of our best and one of (absurdly) only 3 BHA players to make the Team of the Season. His crossing can be erratic, but boy can he shoot.