paolo

Mechanical phantoms
Am I imagining it, or have there been more managerial changes than usual for this time of year recently? Seems like about half of the Premiership and Championship have got new bosses but this might be a football-deprivation related hallucination

don_quixote

Trent End
i can't work out what was wrong with the last one

would have been sacked even if we got promoted.

yes football is a results business and results-wise he did nothing wrong. but constant sniping at the chairman and openly touting himself to celtic last summer, plus complaining about backing when he got konchesky and boyd in on big wages was the straw that broke the camels back.

i love billy and im sorry to see him go. but i dont miss him.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Pretty worried about this story:

River Plate were relegated to Argentina's second division for the first time in their 110-year history on Sunday, sparking ugly street battles between police and fans.
River, who have been champions a record 33 times, drew 1-1 with Belgrano of the Nacional B division in the second leg of a relegation-promotion play-off at the Monumental stadium in Buenos Aires, condemning them to relegation after a 2-0 defeat in the first leg in Cordoba on Wednesday.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/jun/26/river-plate-football

Because the team I play for which has never been relegated is a) now locked in a relegation battle and b) plays in River Plate shirts.

Ulala

Awkward Woodward

I'm racking my brain for appropriate superlatives, but YES. That's just great. Nutmegs, lobs, backheels, all that fun stuff, I can't get enough of it. It inevitably gets decried as 'unsporting' or 'not in the spirit of the game', but usually by miserygutses. If you can make your opponent look stupid, do so. If you can be audacious and inventive, do so.

Sanction? Give the man a bonus.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Didn't Totti once do one of those chip penalties and the keeper just stood there and caught it making him look like an absolute bell-end? That's the only sanction you need, if you miss a penalty trying to make the opposition look bad then you look even worse - that's the risk inherent in doing those things and that's what makes 'em interesting and exciting when they're pulled off.

don_quixote

Trent End
"There was some interest from Derby. I do not want to be rude to them, but I could not go there, no." - guy moussi

how to endear yourself back to fans who were worried over you stalling to sign a new contract and your agent hawking you to every premiership team going? tell them their rivals were interested and that you couldn't do that.

have i fallen for it? totally!! MOOOOOOOSE

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
The SPL season started today :cool:

Dundee United got put out of the Europa League by Slask Wroclaw on Thursday. Went two nil up after four minutes, won 3-2 and got put out on away goals :(

IdleRich

IdleRich
That own goal was truly a thing of beauty - fuck brilliant bits of skill or backheeled penalties, it's moments like that that really make the game for me.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I'm sure that no-one is interested but I'm gonna tell you that my team won on Thursday and the previous Thursday and that means we've avoided the ignominy of relegation and overcome the bad omen of playing in (fake) River Plate kits. Next season it's the league....

e/y

the reaction to that has been so fucking stupid. god forbid someone tries to do something fun in a (friendly!) football game. also, lol @ the ESPN commentators.