hucks

Your Message Here
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/nov/17/gus-poyet-luis-suarez-racism

Deserves abuse himself for being so unbelievably thick.

"You cannot accuse people without a proper investigation, especially when it's a foreigner who is coming from a different place where we treat people of colour in a different way"

Mindbogglingly stupid.

Aw man, I really liked Gus. Say it ain't so...

There is no chance Blatter will resign, and no pressure from anyone outside of England for him to do so. The difference between England and the rest of Europe on this seems quite telling, but basically we just know that using racist language is bad. We maybe don't know why, but we know not to do it.

The big victory of political correctness is that it changed the language. But the attitudes are still there - no black managers in the prem, no Asian players in the prem etc etc

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Who's the other team? Is it Besiktas or someone? Whoever it is, unbelievable they're not now playing behind closed doors....

As Hucks said, the lack of British Asian players in the Premiership in 2011 is quite unbelievable. How many black managers have there ever been in the Prem?

OK, just found the stat, it's four: http://thinkfootball.co.uk/?p=497

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
Chelsea have conceded more goals at home than anyone else in the Premiership except for Bolton and Blackburn, and let in more goals in total than they did in the whole of Jose's first season in charge :(

IdleRich

IdleRich
Amazing about the lack of Asian players in the football league. As far as I know football is as popular in the Asian community as everywhere else in the country so why aren't there good players coming through? Or maybe there are but they're not getting the opportunity; seems unlikely though, money rules football and teams cannot afford to turn away talent.

IdleRich

IdleRich
One huge problem facing black managers is not racism, but the fact that the Premier League in particular is very much an ‘old boys club’ whenever a manager is sacked (barring the top 4 sides) the same faces are touted with possibly taking over. Look how many times somebody like Gary Megson and Iain Dowie’s names come up whenever a relegation threatneed Premier League side sacks their manager, despite none of these managers ever achieving anything of note. Its time for the League to breakaway from this, not just with regard to black managers but also other young English managers
This is true. Once you're in you're there for life it seems. I often think - why pick someone who has consistently failed? Give me a go, I can't do any worse and you never know I might flukily be good at it.

hucks

Your Message Here
This is true. Once you're in you're there for life it seems. I often think - why pick someone who has consistently failed? Give me a go, I can't do any worse and you never know I might flukily be good at it.

Only three managers currently in the bottom ten have ever managed another Prem team, successfully (Jol) or otherwise (Bruce). Seven of the top ten have (exceptions being Ferguson, Wenger and AVB).

The problem comes lower down the leagues, really. Paul Jewell is still in paid employment, much to my amusement.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
In relation to Asian kids in football academies in the UK. I recall hearing about West Ham (located in an area with a huge British Asian population, obv), and I think the observation was that loads of Asian kids play football up until a certain age, but then were falling away at the critical age of 15-ish...as to whether the WH academy had any role in this, I wouldnt' like to say, but i think the implication was possibly there.

There was always that thing about Venables' staggeringly mediocre record at club level; though give him his due, he did OK with England.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"There was always that thing about Venables' staggeringly mediocre record at club level; though give him his due, he did OK with England."
He won the liga with Barcelona (for the first time in ten years apparently and also got them to the Euro final - thanks wikipedia).

"Only three managers currently in the bottom ten have ever managed another Prem team, successfully (Jol) or otherwise (Bruce). Seven of the top ten have (exceptions being Ferguson, Wenger and AVB).
The problem comes lower down the leagues, really. Paul Jewell is still in paid employment, much to my amusement."
Was thinking more lower down the league. Top is all foreign managers - and it's hard to argue against picking foreign managers cos they keep winning things. Who was the last English manager to win the premiership? Maybe I'm being slightly disingenuous cos you can't really say that Ferguson, Dalglish or Graham came from a different footballing tradition.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
He won the liga with Barcelona (for the first time in ten years apparently and also got them to the Euro final - thanks wikipedia).

hmm, yes, this is true. what i read must've just been about his record with english clubs, which (checking wiki) isnt' that impressive apart from at QPR

crackerjack

This is true. Once you're in you're there for life it seems

Tell that to Peter Reid. Once exactly the kind of manager you're describing, now getting sacked by 92nd club Plymouth, despite putting his hand in his own pocket a few times last season to keep players paid.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I'm not saying that people don't get sacked, I'm saying that they tend to come back elsewhere. Whether or not that happens this time... well, time will tell I guess.

IdleRich

IdleRich
That second goal was great. Although it should be noted that both the other goals were incredibly soft. I guess that Man City are gonna be concentrating on the Premiership now which is bad news for the other English teams.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
That second goal was great. Although it should be noted that both the other goals were incredibly soft. I guess that Man City are gonna be concentrating on the Premiership now which is bad news for the other English teams.
You have to wonder how much their financial planning (if they have such a thing) relied on them getting into the late stages of the CL, though...

bandshell

Grand High Witch
http://www.worldsoccer.com/blogs/european-dream-turns-sour-for-one-young-african-player

The city is Prague in the Czech Republic. The setting is the famous Wenceslas Square, one of the most beautiful in Europe.

A young African man is stopping passers-by, handing them leaflets in the hope they can be persuaded to sample the fare on offer at some of the city’s restaurants. It’s not an untypical scenario. Until you find out that the desperate youngster with the leaflets in his hand is Bassirou Dembele – a Malian U20 international and Slavia Prague’s erstwhile left-back.

This is the baffling story that Czech football followers were reading about back in April. Dembele had disappeared from Slavia’s first team squad and had, seemingly, fallen on hard times. It was quite a fall from grace for the once highly rated Paris St Germain defender, still just 21-years-old.