baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I loathe Ibrahimovic for his tiresome and not-really-merited arrogance*, but I'm glad his finest moment(s) (come on, he's never going to do anything in a match that really counts) made Joe Hart look like a complete arse. Which, of course, he is, but gratifying to have it demonstrated so well.

* At least Ronaldo is unquestionably in the world's top five players

Last edited:

hucks

Your Message Here
I loathe Ibrahimovic ....(come on, he's never going to do anything in a match that really counts)

* At least Ronaldo is unquestionably in the world's top five players

Nonsense.
Give me arrogance over fake humility every time. And how many titles does he have to win in how many countries before people take him seriously? It's only British people who have a problem with him.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I wasn't being entirely serious. It's just funny that someone that egotistical doesn't get the recognition despite a decent record of winning titles - it's exactly what he deserves. But, on the other hand, if his most important moment is a group stage match, then that's not going to convince the actual doubters.

Why do you prefer arrogance over false humility? I don't particularly like either, cos they're equally disingenuous. The reason people warm to Messi is that he doesn't particularly do either (at least as far as I've seen).

Last edited:

hucks

Your Message Here
I wasn't being entirely serious. It's just funny that someone that egotistical doesn't get the recognition despite a decent record of winning titles - it's exactly what he deserves. But, on the other hand, if his most important moment is a group stage match, then that's not going to convince the actual doubters.

Why do you prefer arrogance over false humility? I don't particularly like either, cos they're equally disingenuous. The reason people warm to Messi is that he doesn't particularly do either (at least as far as I've seen).

Oh OK. Plenty of people still think he's not that good, big game bottler, whatever. Jamie Redknapp wrote about the 8 times title winner

last night the world woke up to the mighty Zlatan.

What a cunt.

As to why I prefer arrogance to false modesty - in general, in life, obviously I don't. But in football which I watch for entertainment (i.e. I'm not sure I want arrogant players at Norwich) , I'd take a preening individualist over some fucking Shearer "hit-my-left-foot-went-in-two-nil" bollocks.

I'd rather watch El Hadj Diouf. There is something awesome about arrogant players who don't have the skills to back it up, too. They're hilarious!

I think the way Messi plays is a bit arrogant at times and so it should be. Most of that Barca team are. Xavi is almost insufferably smug, but I love watching him play.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"And how many titles does he have to win in how many countries before people take him seriously? It's only British people who have a problem with him."
I think that's because every time he plays against a British team he has a shit game and his team lose - four goals in a friendly isn't gonna change that opinion.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Redknapp : that's pretty funny all the same. If only it was intentional, I guess.

Hadn't really thought about Shearer when you mentioned false modesty, but yeah, what a cunt. Does it even count as false modesty though? It's more than he's barely alive.

The Faroe Islands incident tipped me definitively against Ibrahimovic. Being arrogant around other top players is maybe forgivable, but parading your achievements and monetary status in front of Faroe Islands players is truly pathetic. Assuming what the other guy said was true of course, but it's no stretch to believe it.

Yeah, Xavi is a bit awful. I'm not sure I really like any footballers. Is Iniesta alright? I hope so. Someone has to be.

e/y

I think that's because every time he plays against a British team he has a shit game and his team lose - four goals in a friendly isn't gonna change that opinion.

He was very good when Barcelona played Arsenal (and this was when we weren't totally useless).

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Yeah, Xavi is a bit awful. I'm not sure I really like any footballers. Is Iniesta alright? I hope so. Someone has to be."
There was an interview with him the other day, he came across pretty well I thought - for what it's worth.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Didn't see the interview, but he's got a good vibe, I think. Glorious player, particularly in his ability to weigh in when it really counts, obviously.

Damien

Futsal Word Cup Final: Brazil vs Spain

I just got back from the the stadium, atmosphere was electric, everyone was chanting for Falcao constantly.

He had a few touches of brilliance and his goal was a wonderful strike, but Neto's extra time goal was the best. He ran into the crowd near me at the end, I was near a lot of the hardcore Brazilian contingent :)

Amazing game, although typical Thailand the game got moved from the specifically built-for-the-tournament national futsal arena to a smaller stadium because it wasn't built in time :D

Last edited:

Damien

it was rumoured Obama was going to be at the match, never transpired. I did get a good look of Sepp Blatter though

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Futsal Word Cup Final: Brazil vs Spain"
So, to get the rules. You can kick the ball over head height? The goalie can come out of the box and the players can go in it? It seems to be pretty much the same rules as the five-a-side league I play in. Except for when it's a free-kick we only have to give them a yard and it appears it's a lot more here. I guess no sliding tackles?

Last edited:

e/y

And the ball is heavier/bounces less iirc, so controlling it is somewhat different. Can do some pretty cool stuff with it, though.

Damien

it's basically five a side with handball goals and everything is geared towards skill. One of the best parts is keepers and kick ins are timed at three seconds so players are always under pressure.

Robust tackles are allowed but heavy pushes, body checks, dangerous tackles lead to a direct free kick.

Teams can make substitutions during open play, and as many times as they like.

If the team want they can take off the keeper and replace with an outfield player, like a powerplay. This is what led to the Falcao goal above.

futsal rules: http://www.fifa.com/lotg/futsal/en/index.html

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Wow, the most jawdropping piece of news in a long while. How the fuck can winning the club's first European Cup not fireproof you for at least a year? The club is an embarrassment to football, I'm afraid, for all that I like their style of play this year.

Surely Guardiola would never go there now. Nor any other decent manager, for that matter, except maybe Mourinho because of history.