IdleRich

IdleRich
Looks as though this six goal Bundesliga draw was a classic with great goals, fantastic saves and hilarious defensive errors. I particularly liked the second Dortmund goal which reminded me of the Gourcuff one from a few years back... shame Brandt gave 'em one back in the second half.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Watched Liverpool narrowly defeat Monterrey who looked a decent side. Happy to let Liverpool have most of the ball but not have chances, very fast and aggressive in the tackle (a bit too aggressive, could have suffered with a less... hands-off ref) and direct and dangerous on the break. At the end Liverpool did kinda camp around their box once they brought on Mane and Firminho but before that they couldn't quite impose themselves as much as usual.

Last edited:

version

Messi apparently scored one more goal than he played games over the course of the decade: 522 goals in 521 games for Barca.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
That is quite staggering, even if the standard of La Liga teams does drop off dramatically. I think Ronaldo is on a ratio of over one per game as well?

Have to say, the 2010s were a hell of a decade in football. Individual achievements on a scale we may never see again, arguably the greatest club side of all time giving the greatest single performance (at least in a final against elite opposition), some of the best Premier League title races (2014, 2019), the most astonishing title win of all, and even international football was pretty good with *that* Spain team and the 2018 world cup. And streaming meant that we could see pretty much all of it.

Last edited:

version

Messi's also got the most assists, most goals from direct free kicks, most successful dribbles and most successful passes in the final third.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Ah, Ronaldo going to Juve probably cost him that record then, I think - he was > 1.00 in La Liga for sure

Interesting list - I was thinking the other day that Lewandowski is the only player I can think of outside the top two who seems to go on those mindbending scoring runs, only he has periods of inconsistency that Messi and Ronaldo don't.

Last edited:

version

Have to say, the 2010s were a hell of a decade in football. Individual achievements on a scale we may never see again, arguably the greatest club side of all time giving the greatest single performance (at least in a final against elite opposition), some of the best Premier League title races (2014, 2019), the most astonishing title win of all, and even international football was pretty good with *that* Spain team and the 2018 world cup. And streaming meant that we could see pretty much all of it.

Real Madrid winning three consecutive CL titles. Bayern winning the treble. City doing the domestic quadruple and breaking a bunch of records in the PL. Liverpool winning the CL. Barca winning their second treble. Ibra's bicycle kick.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Also in the decade's highlights, Arsenal became the first club in world football to change their business strategy to become a loss leader for an associated youtube channel. It's all about the clicks.

version

Interesting list - I was thinking the other day that Lewandowski is the only player I can think of outside the top two who seems to go on those mindbending scoring runs, only he has periods of inconsistency that Messi and Ronaldo don't.

Lewandowski's a weird one. He seems to be getting more attention at the moment because he's been on an absolute tear, but he's scored 40 or more in each of the last four seasons which is more or less Messi/Ronaldo level and they play fewer games in the Bundesliga.

IdleRich

IdleRich
OK so he's confirmed meeting with them. I didn't realise he'd been managing a club already, I think it's right to do that rather than go straight in at top level. How's he doing there (Al Sadd apparently - what country is that?)?

entertainment

Glad something is finally happening. 3 years of slow, conservative football and mellow acquienscence. Watching them is a chore these days.

entertainment

They'll probably fire Valverde and get someone else until summer. B team coach Pimienta has looked like a decent pick for a while. I get the impression that Xavi is a quixotic Cruyffian. Apparently, he's in the middle of wrecking what was a dominant side over at Al-Sadd.