IdleRich

IdleRich
"it's surprising, but they do exist - there are at least two on here in fact (HAI GUYZ! ). actually one of my man u-supporting mates is almost self-loathing about it, like it doesn't fit with the rest of his persona, like it's somehow wrong for him. a bit harsh i think"
Hi there.
Don't really agree about the self-loathing thing but even I admit that I would like it if Villa (or anyone really) could do something about breaking up the status quo of the last few years.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
a lot of my mates (as you might expect, virtually all my mates from 'home' are United or City, with the odd Oldhamite/Alty fan etc. thrown in) that are Manc and United are indeed also sensible *, although it's interesting to track the cleavage between those i know who have had an atavistic reaction to Ronaldo's press affair in the summer and just want shot of him now, entirely not wanting anything to do with him, not wanting to engage with him or arguments for him as a player at all, and those who admit he's a cunt but is obviously a fine player still..

... Ardley, Leonhardsen and Fear are all legends :D

gutted for you, hucks, and let's hope you won't require our sympathies come May (i.e., by staying up.)

this is a bit Tony Mowbray ish, but some of the teams down there are ones most neutrals could arguably get behind, e.g., Saints who can play nice football.
and Charlton are fairly admirable off the pitch AFAIK.

i've got a few Wall fan mates and they are gents; a lad i used to 'run' with in my mid-teens (i was a bit of a scrote during that difficult age..) got in trouble for violence when Wall played at City in a Cup game once mind you. hmm.

crackerjack OTM re City and good point from Tom's mate about the chances of Rooney again making a high-profile temper-related, er, cock-up in a big game.

some sacked off all associations (in terms of giving them your money, which is about it for Premiership fans, eh? i know right down the lower leagues fans still pitch in with helping paint stands etc in the off-season) after the Glazers came in, went up a few FC games, couldn't get in to FC for whatever reason emotionally, but do still watch Utd on the telly (you can't cut out all that history eh), whilst others were supremely phlegmatic re the Glazers..

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Tut tut, I thought this comment was gonna be directed at Mos Dan's coin-chucking mate. This one's got his mind right."
Two errors there - firstly it was Tom whose mate threw the coin and secondly the rest of what you said.

tom lea

Tut tut, I thought this comment was gonna be directed at Mos Dan's coin-chucking mate. This one's got his mind right.
he was fifteen, to be fair. maybe even younger. i can't imagine how self-loathing i'd be as a united fan from london. i'm bad enough as it is.

vimothy

yurp
Tut tut, I thought this comment was gonna be directed at Mos Dan's coin-chucking mate.

Hopefully, no one needs me to tell them that throwing coins in people's faces is wrong.

But I'm not sure why anyone would support a team they didn't actually want to support and are embarassed about, TBH -- fuck off then, that's my advice.

vimothy

yurp
Saying that, I remember watching the derby with some mates, all City fans, in a pub in Manchester. They were the only City fans there (it was packed) and spent the entire game pissed as hell and giving it "the only fucking team from Manchester", etc. As the match finished, I was shouting across the pub at Adam, "yeah, but we're in Manchester -- that's where we are -- so why don't you STFU?" He kept dribbling on, and the guy next to me (also a red) joined in -- "fuck off, baldy" (or something similar). Shouts Adam, "where are you from mate?" Then this guy said "Surrey". Oh dear -- que laughter, insults and a hail of plastic glasses.

Last edited:

scottdisco

rip this joint please
i think you dealt with your mates fairly there Vim: i think only a small minority of City fans bother to shout that at their United peers (well, anecdotally in my experience, and i'd hope so in general of course), but it is a silly thing to say: a mirror image of the old 'all City fans are from Stockport' trope you get in United 'zines.. :)

don_quixote

Trent End
I'd run up on an AFC Wimbledon game still. I'm trying to rack up games at every non-premiership London club at the moment. It's no Anfield but it's interesting.

Millwall was in no way as fucked up as I expected.

when i get my car up here next week im gonna try every league club in yorkshire, not sure how i'd combine that with teaching though

scottdisco

rip this joint please
don_quixote

when i get my car up here next week im gonna try every league club in yorkshire, not sure how i'd combine that with teaching though

(incidentally if anybody can tell me how you get the 'posted by' bit in the quotes section i'd be awfully grateful, it seems pretty much everybody bar me knows how to do that..)

tip-top idea that one!

when you go to Hull make sure you get the paprika on your chipped potatoes, can't beat the chip spice

(that and Mansfield bitter are two of my fave e mids/e Yorks indulgences)

don_quixote

Trent End
crackerjack: hahaha

scottdisco: is that a universal east riding thing? i'm on placement over here and could go for chips on the way home one day.

crackerjack

(incidentally if anybody can tell me how you get the 'posted by' bit in the quotes section i'd be awfully grateful, it seems pretty much everybody bar me knows how to do that..)

hit the quote button bottom right, not new reply.

Used to like going to York, just cos the town's so fucking cool. Sadly no longer a league team. Nor Halifax, whcih was rubbish, but kinda plucky (in that condescending way).

(that and Mansfield bitter are two of my fave e mids/e Yorks indulgences)

I went to a game at Mansfield once. 3 of their fans walked right down to the end of their terrace nearest where we were stood behind the goal and spent the whole match hurling abuse at us. Didn't wtach the game once, which probably showed good sense. Brighton's chant was "what's the social life up here?"

mos dan

fact music
All due respect, but your mate sounds like a right cock.

lol he's an ex-workmate not a current mate-mate, no offence taken - i found it a little odd myself.

yeah to whoever said you have the best of both worlds being an afc fan these days, you're absolutely right.. if afc have one problem it's that sooner or later our self-righteousness will get a bit too much to bear.

but then we'll get to play mk dons and everyone will remember why we were self-righteous in the first place, and it will be awesome and the whole world will be on our side again.

mos dan

fact music
I went to a game at Mansfield once. 3 of their fans walked right down to the end of their terrace nearest where we were stood behind the goal and spent the whole match hurling abuse at us. Didn't wtach the game once, which probably showed good sense. Brighton's chant was "what's the social life up here?"

one chant i always feel a bit guilty about but join in with enthusiastically anyway is "we pay your benefits" - directed at supporters of basically *any* team from north of the watford gap.

but then afc fans are minorly (in)famous for 'the champagne song', which is all about coke and champers and generally being considerably richer than yaaaow. (afc fans themselves are lovely, same old family club it always was)

don_quixote

Trent End
oooh, what's "so fucking cool" about york? am i missing anything in particular? i was probably going to go along to york city anyway.