scottdisco

rip this joint please
scottdisco: is that a universal east riding thing? i'm on placement over here and could go for chips on the way home one day.

think mainly just in Hull, but worth looking for where ever you may be. chip spice is certainly a delight, and i can recommend it unreservedly.

cheers to crackerjack for the quote tips.

went to York City recently.
an evening with boss Martin Foyle and Neil Redfearn was among the upcoming evening entertainment.
lovely pubs in York, and the football ground is a classic lower-league one: open away end, real 'pop side' type vibe along the sides, and the Kit-Kats do indeed taste better from their tuck shop..:p

crackerjack

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/jan/14/football-kaka-manchester-city-milan

Milan have said that the final decision on whether Kaka, the 2007 world player of the year, is to join Manchester City will be the player's alone, according to the Italian sports daily, Gazzetta Dello Sport.

At yesterday's meeting in Milan, City's delegation are also said to have inquired about the former Rangers midfielder Gennaro Gattuso and their Brazilian goalkeeper Dida, 35, who is currently out of favour at the Italian club. Gattuso, 31, has been out of the side with a torn anterior cruciate ligament which will sideline him for the season, but that has not deterred the Manchester club's interest.

Unconfirmed reports yesterday said the fee for the three players would be around €100m (£90.77m), more than double the world record £46m Real Madrid paid Juventus for Zinedine Zidane in 2001.

So that's £100m for crap, a crock and a genius. Kaka better be on his game.

crackerjack

Presumably it's £120m if you take out Dida

You'd think so, wouldn't you. But this is the kind of thinking that City should be avoiding - he's Brazilian, he plays for Milan, he must be good. Hart isn't amazing, but he;'s solid, and the last thing a dodgy team with a disintegrating defence needs is a keeper who lets powder puffs slip through his hands.

If they want to break the bank on a keeper, there's a bloke at Newcastle...

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Gattuso, 31, has been out of the side with a torn anterior cruciate ligament which will sideline him for the season, but that has not deterred the Manchester club's interest."
What is the sense in buying a 31 year old who is out for a season? He might never play again.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Kaka has more sense than money"
Well, he's got a fair bit of money already. It's proving strangely difficult for City to attract anyone at all at the moment, why is that? You would have thought that as the only club who can offer that kind of money while everyone else is being credit crunched that they could take their pick.

"Kaka appears to have turned down Manchester City's £91m offer, by claiming he wants to "grow old" at AC Milan."
Milan are certainly a club that like their players to grow old.

crackerjack

Well, he's got a fair bit of money already. It's proving strangely difficult for City to attract anyone at all at the moment, why is that? You would have thought that as the only club who can offer that kind of money while everyone else is being credit crunched that they could take their pick.

Well, there's money, and then there's £13m a year after tax, plus what i guess would be a hefty signing on fee, since he hasn't requested the transfer. I know which i'd rather have. The lure of a relegation struggle, with no CL next year, obviously has its limits. Living in the same city as a knob like ronaldo wouldn't help either :p

mos dan

fact music
So United inch ever closer to the top spot...

what's your current reading rich, do you think you'll get the title? i'm still not ready to buy into the idea of liverpool lasting a season in first place. chelsea may be lagging a bit but i'm sure that's only temporary.

hucks

Your Message Here
Well, obviously I'm disappointed that this hasn't turned into 10 pages about possible replacements for Glenn Roeder, but from an outsider perspective, the title race seems almost over. It's like at the turn of the decade, when Leeds or Villa might be top, then Man U would just go "I'll take that, thank you very much" and everyone would do their bidding.

I think the make up of the top 4 is far from decided, though. Villa are looking good, but so are Everton. I think it'll be pretty close.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"what's your current reading rich, do you think you'll get the title? i'm still not ready to buy into the idea of liverpool lasting a season in first place. chelsea may be lagging a bit but i'm sure that's only temporary."
Well (given the obvious caveat that things can totally change in a much shorter time than you think especially when there are actually so few points between the top teams) I think United are looking strong at the moment. Chelsea seem to be in disarray and are sending out surprisingly defeatist messages and Liverpool aren't scoring enough goals at the moment. It's obviously wide open right now but I'm quietly confident.... last week I bet my friend a ton that United would finish above Liverpool although maybe that was bravado.

crackerjack

United are favourites, but it's nothing like as inevitable as some are making out.

Chelsea game excepted, they're not playing that well. Any wion against Wigan is good at the mo, but they were lucky against Stoke (where both Roo & Ron might have been sent off and they only won because some Stoke player took revenge on Ronaldo and got the red card that might have been his 2 mins earlier) and almost ran out of time against Boro.

Liverpool aren't scoring enough goals at the moment

Liverpool played 21, scored 35
Utd played 20, scored 33

before the Stoke match, Liverpool scored 9 in 3, compared to Utd's 6 in 4 matches, so unless 'at the moment' means 'in their last game' that doesn't stand up. They're also getting their best striker back, whereas united are abot to lose theirs for a few weeks. Which leaves them two disaffected stars and one flouncy twat (that's Berbatov, in case you were thinking Ronaldo).