high finance and its malcontents, occult fantasies

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I thought Liam's position on Armstrong was that he was indeed a drug cheat, but that all pro cyclists do it, so it's a level playing field after all, and that Armstrong was just unlucky enough to get caught, or perhaps had been victimised because he was so successful. Maybe I've misremembered that, although it certainly sounds like something he would say.

IdleRich

IdleRich
He probably went through that position in one of his contortions. Interestingly some of his arguments are the same made by Trump supporters eg "Why are they going after Armstrong first on this?" and Steve replying "Well they are the obviously gonna check the winner of the race for cheating before they check on the guy who came 165th" seems analagous to the "Why are they so determined to prosecute the president for breaking this law that probably lots of people broke?"

IdleRich

IdleRich
He was a fucking maniac at squash, I remember I went to play with him and another guy and Liam started warming up - as he described it he liked to try and hit the ball through the wall - it was like the scene in Kickboxer where he sees the bad guy practising by kicking a wall down and warns his brother not to fight him. We were both watching and our eyes kinda slid together and met and there was fear in our eyes.

There was this girl who lived in the same block of flats as me and she was a fitness coach but she had not really played squash so she wanted to learn playing me. And though she was much fitter, I was much better at squash so I had her running around like crazy. At one point she had chased down a couple of mad rallies and she was breathing like mad, she said "please just let me have a minute's break cos I'm gonna either faint or have a heart attack". I told Liam about this and he said "Continuous play, no mercy" - basically in his world I should played on until she collapsed and then just served and collected the points as her unresponsive body lay there failing to return the ball.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
MONGOL GENERAL: What is best in squash?
MONGOL: To play fair, do your best, and get a good cardio workout.
MONGOL GENERAL: Wrong! Liam, what is best in squash?
LIAM: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
MONGOL GENERAL: That is good!

IdleRich

IdleRich
He was fond of saying "You don't play squash to get fit - you must get fit to play squash" not sure why. Anyway he stopped playing cos he wanted to concentrate on cycling a thousand miles a day and he said squash would exercise the wrong muscles.

luka

you lot bullied him mercilessly. i think its funny but you did love bullying him lets be honest

luka

you picked on him cos of how thick he was and you loved it, he was unusually thick and you victimised him. i would of done the same.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I saw it more as self-defence in that he started every single one of those arguments . And in all the ways that you can measure he was unusually smart.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
that liam guy sounds hilarious but i feel it's kinda naive of you guys being shocked he suddenly made a move on you too, he's obviously a mad man no?

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
We had a massive bust-up around the time of the 2017 election, when he decided I was "a Tory" (despite, you know, being a Labour member and campaigning for then and that) because Anna and I had decided to buy a house together - this from a Ferrari-owning stockbroker (or options trader or whatever he was, before @IdleRich leaps in to correct me) - and we haven't spoken since.
how did he counter your argument when you told him he was a ferrari owning stockbroker?

luka

there was an big argument culture on facebook for w hile. danny l, idle rich, tea, this liam guy, they just spent all day arguing. it was the genesis of the centrist dad in retrospect.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
how did he counter your argument when you told him he was a ferrari owning stockbroker?
I think he was so high on his own farts by that point that he just brushed it off and launched into another mad rant about some bollocks or other.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I saw it more as self-defence in that he started every single one of those arguments . And in all the ways that you can measure he was unusually smart.
Yeah he was. Exceptional athlete as well. Quite gifted in the genetic lottery I think. Self-critique not being the strong point but I think I'd find that hard if I'd made literal millions in the City.

version

Exploring the Ruins of Lehman.com​

Lehman Brothers, at the domain lehman.com, is of course the giant investment bank that was allowed to fail, tipping the global financial system into chaos and collapse. The company is now in a state of bankruptcy, but its sprawling website appears much as it was before the end came.

Check out Lehman.com's History Timeline: it carefully records every detail of Lehman's existence but only through 2007. The site's Awards and Recognition page is another eerie area. Right up to the end of its existence, the firm appears to have been such accolades as "Best Credit Derivative House." Perhaps the ghostliest area of Lehman.com is its Careers page, where an invitation to "Begin Your Journey" and "Engage Your Passion" rotates undeterred by events. Similarly, the firm's Intellectual Capital section is months out of date.

Lehman.com has become unstuck in time, and while it's perhaps disingenous to expect that a lowly HTML coder would have been retained merely to update these sections, but the lack of closure is stunning.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
"Bankers can earn unlimited bonuses again from Tuesday, following a change to rules brought in following the financial crisis."

Maybe it'll work out differently this time and what's being said about salaries and recruitment's true, but you're not gonna give them the benefit of the doubt at this point, are you?
Speculation aside, this is where peer-to-peer currencies have a great strength: non-custodial and "permissionless" accounts, IE accounts you can send to and from without permission from any institution, and a government would essentially have to hack you or subpoena you to get access to it.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Its pretty crazy when you think about it - you can have solo or joint accounts, and do business globally and instantaneously. I'm at the point now where I'm regularly paying people and being paid with blockchain-based dollars (dollar hegemony I think will extend into blockchain, but I also regularly pay / get paid in ETH).