this radiohead thing then.

mms

sometimes
Kid A definitely my favourite Radiohead moment, but I really don't have any desire to hear it again. It's only pretty good as you say.

Electronica combined with shoegazing? Yes, I always wanted this to work but I don't think anyone quite pulled it off right. I did a mash-up (when these things were popular) of My Bloody Valentine, Boards Of Canada and a bit of Autechre that approached how I think that marriage should have been.

electronica combined with shoegaze, that's seefeel, and disjectia etc isn't it?

there is that ulrich snauss guy but his stuff is unnervingly saccharin, frightening stuff.

anticon stuff worked with it too.

but don't you find that song ' boy from school' absolutely gorgeous?
it's got a lovely folky melody combined with sweet cheesy trance stuff going on, they're not really an indie band, they don't do guitars much, they're more like 'sparks jugend.'

Last edited:

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
I like both radiohead and hot chip. both are absolutely, splendidly miserable, in the best moody gorgeous sort of way. and both are doing more things than your average band.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
electronica combined with shoegaze, that's seefeel, and disjectia etc isn't it?

there is that ulrich snauss guy but his stuff is unnervingly saccharin, frightening stuff.

anticon stuff worked with it too.

but don't you find that song ' boy from school' absolutely gorgeous?
it's got a lovely folky melody combined with sweet cheesy trance stuff going on, they're not really an indie band, they don't do guitars much, they're more like 'sparks jugend.'
Well I think to achieve it you've got to do both things well. That's not easy. Ulrich Schnaus really fucked it, too sacharine, and the beats were/are no way good enough anyway. Also, what you've got to remember about shoegaze is that really it was quite a hardcore and having it scene - very serious moshpits at Ride shows, and proper sonic intensity with the Valentines, Slowdive fans off their mash-hole laying on the stage. Listening to many of the sonic documents of the time you could get quite a twee impression but that would be wrong and unfair to the spirit of the music.

Seefeel were good, large up Mark Clifford. Mostly on a dubby tip so keeping it quite simple rhythmically at that time. I remember a gig at the Marquee with Reload and Chapterhouse :D. If shoegazing were truly to meet electronica I would want the best aspects of both of those styles, not the wimpiest or most obvious. So. the guitar textures and harmonic beauty of the shoegazers with the pristine structures, syncopation and processing of the MAX geeks. If George Martin was making Sgt, Pepper's now he would do a track like that.

Last edited:

gek-opel

entered apprentice
The whole "Radiohead discover electronica" thing is a touch of a misnomer really. They ripped off a relatively broad (in a Wire magazine sense) array of soft-avant sources around the time of Kid A. At no point did they sound anything like Autechre really in any way. Unfortunately by the time they made Kid A I had already discovered most of the sources they were drawing on and wished they had gone much much further. Ho Hum.

I think there is a strong potential role for non-vanguard artists to mutate and twist pre-existing generic material (especially when crossbreeding it into song-form). Of course Radiohead have been sheer bobbins for a while now...

Also- Hot Chip while by no means perfect are well worth sticking up for, its absolutely correct what other posters were saying "Boy From School" is perfect sad-eyed Apollonian pop, the blend of digital funk riff, jacking house beat and mournful ambient song-sweep is striking and genuinely affecting.

Last edited:

noel emits

The whole "Radiohead discover electronica" thing is a touch of a misnomer really. They ripped off a relatively broad (in a Wire magazine sense) array of soft-avant sources around the time of Kid A. At no point did they sound anything like Autechre really in any way. Unfortunately by the time they made Kid A I had already discovered most of the sources they were drawing on and wished they had gone much much further. Ho Hum.
Well I think that's basically my gripe with them as well, that and they are tedious miserablosos.
I think there is a strong potential role for non-vanguard artists to mutate and twist pre-existing generic material (especially when crossbreeding it into song-form). Of course Radiohead have been sheer bobbins for a while now...
Quite. David Bowie, Dexy's, Japan, Human League, Adam And The Ants, Kate Bush, Teardrops - this used to be commonplace in teh pop music. So sad. :
Also- Hot Chip while by no means perfect are well worth sticking up for, its absolutely correct what other posters were saying "Boy From School" is perfect sad-eyed Apollonian pop, the blend of digital funk riff, jacking house beat and mournful ambient song-sweep is striking and genuinely affecting.(
Will have another listen, sigh. ;)

Last edited:

Leo

i didn't bother to sign up for this dl, not a huge fan but still curious...so, how is it?

sing_minimal

i gave it a listen but i was starting to get bored after 4th song so i played something else instead then. 1st song was nice though.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
I P2P'd the album this morning. Asides from one or two moments it is regrettably absolute and unreserved tosh... lazy, half-assed, also appallingly compressed at master stage... and recorded in the de rigeur mode for conventional rock music, everything too clean and to separated, too close to the ear... no magic here, not even the basic tricking-of-the-ear created by an ensemble arrangement of the merging of elements to create a more sonically blended whole. In a word? "Dreck".

Last edited:

tht

akstavrh
has to be radiohead-in_rainbows-web-2007-h3rb innit

the problem is the assymetry betweem the general estimation of radiohead as literally ESSENTIAL and that of those for whom radiohead were an adolescent passing ground hopefully towards finer things

there's no use trying to consider any new radiohead album on its own terms when they seemed so significant as a 15yr old kid (a)

Last edited:

gek-opel

entered apprentice
has to be radiohead-in_rainbows-web-2007-h3rb innit

the problem is the assymetry betweem the general estimation of radiohead as literally ESSENTIAL and that of those for whom radiohead were an adolescent passing ground hopefully towards finer things

I definitely got the right one. I don't think its an mp3 compression issue (ie-file compression). 160kbps means you lose high and low end, not that you end up with an aggressively over-loud piece of music lacking in dynamic range (loud/quiet rather than high/low) and clear sounds of inappropriate distortion. This implies to me a mastering issue.

I think what can never be underestimated is that the need for something essential, era-defining and unreservedly "great" exists even when there is literally nothing to fulfil such a role. People's need to believe is such a strong force that it overwhelms (together with help from the media etc) any material evidence to the contrary.

Last edited:

tht

akstavrh
I think what can never be underestimated is that the need for something essential, era-defining and unreservedly "great" exists even when there is literally nothing to fulfil such a role.

there never is
that is, there never could be

Last edited:

noel emits

I definitely got the right one. I don't think its an mp3 compression issue (ie-file compression). 160kbps means you lose high and low end, not that you end up with an aggressively over-loud piece of music lacking in dynamic range (loud/quiet rather than high/low) and clear sounds of inappropriate distortion. This implies to me a mastering issue.
No, I know that - but it doesn't help. Also I find it's not high and low end that's lost so much 'depth' or 'fluidity' at those medium crap bitrates.

I think what can never be underestimated is that the need for something essential, era-defining and unreservedly "great" exists even when there is literally nothing to fulfil such a role. People's need to believe is such a strong force that it overwhelms (together with help from the media etc) any material evidence to the contrary.
Obviously marketing types (cold)play on this but don't we all repeatedly choose are current 'all time greats' now, an 'era' being defined as approximately a week in our accelerated times.

Last edited:

gek-opel

entered apprentice
No, I know that - but it doesn't help. Also I find it's not high and low end that's lost as much 'depth' or 'fluidity' at those medium crap bitrates.

Someone on ILM posted screenshots of the tracks in a waveform editor and there was bugger all dynamic range, and probable compression damage, which makes sense when guitars that are clearly meant to be relatively clean break up before yr very ears. The kind of loss of quality perceptible with mp3s is of a totally distinct nature.

noel emits

I was making a separate point / asking a question about what you got in the download.

I'm sure you are right about the over compression - it's a horrible thing, especially if it's actually clipping. :eek:

gek-opel

entered apprentice
I was making a separate point / asking a question about what you got in the download.

I'm sure you are right about the over compression - it's a horrible thing, especially if it's actually clipping. :eek:

Oh ok. I just SLSK'd it. But it was 160kbps and the track lengths were precisely as quoted elsewhere, so pretty genuine to my mind.

The destructive compression/clipping issue is just bizarre in this instance, this record is being self-released, there are no single to be sent to the radio, and yet in comparison to other music (contemp electro-minimalist stuff and early 80s synthpop) I've been listening to today alongside it, it is twice as loud. It also has a piss-poor production in other senses, in that everything is overly dry, there is little sense of creating a sound mass out of individual elements, and things which ought to be further back in the mix (dry white bread guitar arpeggios for example) are RIGHT UP IN YR EAR.

Leo

so...they garner a ton of free press, then release a compressed a mp3 that sound like crap, thus prompting all the fans to eventually go out and pay full price for the cd in order to get the true sound. hmm, pretty neat marketing ploy ;)